PDA

View Full Version : Tri z problem

rddlsn8k316
03-30-2005, 11:47 PM
I'm having trouble with my 85 tri z. It wants to sputter in the middle of the power band. Idels fine but when I ride it it sputters after take off but will run fine after it is run WOT for a few seconds. I have lowered the needle one clip and was too lean ( got the lean ting). Made sure plug was new and proper gap and air filter clean. Trike is pretty much stock DG pipe and boysen reeds. Did a compression check was about 125 psi cold. My next try is rebuilding carb Local parts house sells carb kit comes with all gaskets, jets, and needles. Any other suggestions??

TimSr
03-31-2005, 12:00 AM
125psi sounds awful low to me. I know mine well enough to test it by "feel", but around 180psi sounds more reasonable. Maybe somebody who actually owns a manual can verify that.

Once a determination is made on bore condition, its time to run some full throttle and some mid throttle plug checks, but Id make a wager youre running too rich, and loading it up. Im running pretty much the same setup, and run the needle at its leanest setting, and a 420 main with Blue Marble at 50:1. When I ran BellRay MC1 at 50:1 I ran stock main (470?), and needle at leanest position, but it ran just a little bit on the rich side.

fattri-z
03-31-2005, 12:07 AM
The manual states the compression ratio as 7.7 : 1. I get around 175 psi after four kicks with a cold engine.

Yamahauler
04-06-2005, 11:30 PM
this is an old thread, but what does the manual say the range of PSI??

fattri-z
04-07-2005, 12:28 AM
The manual says nothing about a PSI range, just a ratio.