PDA

View Full Version : bored out 200x.. proper octane?

200xkwit
03-30-2005, 11:31 PM
I have an 85 200x bored to the max with the 67mm high compression wiesco... yea yea yea why did you go so big with it dada dada da.... but what im saying is I was told by a few of you to run high octane in it. Ive been running it for no longer then 20 minutes at a time on regular pump gas (87) at mild speeds and what not to break in my new piston. I do hear that pining that the manual said could be caused by low octane. Also when I pulled the plug it was all fluffed up with sut. (but at the time I had it idleing for a few seconds before I shut it off) The bike runs seemingly perfect as far as I can tell with that noticable ping sound... the little tick every honda ive ever own had.. but a little louder... and I just did the valves and just did the cam chain tension so its not that.. what im getting at is why would I have to run higher octane.. would low octane cause that little ping? and most of all em I hurting it by running lower octane. and would 93 octane be good enough? thats all we have at the pumps here. :TrikesOwn

70binder
03-30-2005, 11:56 PM
give it a try, it might work, or it might not. run propane!!! it's 100-110 octane, more powerful, burns almost perfectly clean, and is more efficient than pumpgas. plus its about $2/gallon, try getting 105 octane for that price!

but 93 should work, or you could also buy octane booster from an auto parts store if you need higher than 93. on the flipside, briggs and strattons don't reccomend over 83 octane due to excessive heat and blah blah. 93 octane should work okay, but with the price of gas being 2.35 for 93, i think octane booster is cheaper

thefox
03-31-2005, 01:05 AM
With the 12:1 compression piston you are suposed to run 103 octane or better. Pinging is the common sign of low octane. I have heard to run at the lowest octane that the engine doesn't ping at.

vartiak15
03-31-2005, 03:50 PM
ive got a high comp psiton and run normal gas and it works fine.

70binder
03-31-2005, 04:21 PM
high compression over stock (a 200x piston in a 200m is higher compression i think, dont hold me to it, but you would run the same gas) it's all about your compression ratio, if it's low (10.x:1) 93 could be fine but higher compression ratios you will probably need the 103 depending on how you run

short4stuff
03-31-2005, 04:31 PM
ive got a high comp psiton and run normal gas and it works fine.

I personally feel you have a compression problem .. running 12:1 on 87 octane with no pinging .. means A: blowby or B: compression lose .. maybe through a gasket or something .... or valves or something ... but yeha I think theres something wrong.. my 10.25:1 pings with Reg and Supreme ..

which way do you adjust the timing (advance or retard) to help with pinging?

MTS
03-31-2005, 05:04 PM
12:1 wiseco pistons you gota run 103 or better, 10:1 you should be able to get away with 93