PDA

View Full Version : '83 200e tranny problem

LaDano
03-30-2005, 03:27 AM
I picked up a 200e big red about a year ago, with 2nd gear gone. I'm just now getting to tear it apart and swapped gears with a 200s. 2nd gear on the counter shaft was broke in 2 pieces. I swapped that out along with 2nd on the main shaft. I also had to swap 5th gear out as the 200e had 4 dogs and the 200s had 3. Trying to keep them matching I used both sets as a matched pair. Now I got it back together and tested to make sure everything shifts by hand, checked out ok. I put the left case back on and snugged the bolts down and spun it over and tried to shift it again and it won't. It turns over a little over a full turn and stops, it does this in either direction. I've doubled checked to make sure I kept up with the shims in the correct place. The only thing that it didn't have was a shim between 2nd and 5th on the main shaft. Both transmissions didn't have it and the clymer shows one to be there, but that shouldn't be the problem. It looks as if 3rd gear on the main shaft is catching were the teeth are cut on the dogs. Thanx

LaDano
03-30-2005, 10:01 PM
Does anyone have the shim's specs., and where there location is in reference.