PDA

View Full Version : Aghhh! Stuck in reverse...help!

CodyRx7
03-29-2005, 09:27 PM
Ok ok...first, I'll admit, I'm a newb to ATCs/ATVs.

I'm hoping this is just something stupid that I'm not doing that is causing the problem.

Also, this is for a new 4 wheeler I bought, but I'm sure the problem can easily be the same with an ATC since it has nothing to do with the front wheel or wheels.

Ok, now I have a 95 Kawasaki Mojave quad I purchased. I was riding it all day yesterday, and all day today with no problems.

My girlfriend wanted me to take her for a slow run around the block so we hopped on and I started it up.

I attempt to let the clutch out and take off......and WTF....we're going backwards.

Hmm....ok, I'm obviously in reverse gear.

Now, how the hell do I get out of it?

I've tried fiddling with the extra button which I assume is for reverse on the clutch. In, out, up and down with the shifter......I can't find neutral, or anything BUT reverse.

I took off the plastics, and traced the 2nd cable off the clutch lever to the end, and it hooks up to something that seems to be attached to the rear brake caliper.

I don't understand that. Is the 2nd cable for reverse, or something for neutral? What gives?

I never had it in reverse, and I didn't do anything to change it from regular forward gears....it was just IN reverse.

It ran FINE just a few hours ago when I rode it, and I haven't had any trouble while riding.

Please explain how reverse is engaged and disengaged, and what I should look for if anything. :cry:

CodyRx7
03-29-2005, 10:22 PM
Help....Anyone?

CodyRx7
03-29-2005, 10:58 PM
Uh oh......29 views and nobody knows how to shift into reverse.........this is worse than I thought!

smokey
03-29-2005, 11:14 PM
I did not know that mojaves had reverse, I assume you are talking about A mojave.

CodyRx7
03-29-2005, 11:17 PM
Yes, Mojave.....and they do have reverse.....I'm stuck in it!

It has the same double clutch whatever it is that a Honda ATC250R does....the button up near the clutch that allows you to pull both cables....

I'm assuming that is used to go in and out of reverse......but I followed the cable and it goes to the rear brake caliper.......so I'm even more confused now.

I don't know how it GOT INTO reverse.......and I can't get out of it. I can't shift into neutral either...... :(

smokey
03-29-2005, 11:21 PM
If it is like a lakota make sure the bracket for the cable is not bent, or check the cable for a kink or break

CodyRx7
03-29-2005, 11:22 PM
I believe the Lakota and Mojave are almost identical.

The cable moves freely....I'm just not understanding how you shift in and out of reverse in the first place..

You have reverse on the Lakota, dont' you? How do you do it?

350x'inNY
03-30-2005, 01:27 AM
It has the same double clutch whatever it is that a Honda ATC250R does....the button up near the clutch that allows you to pull both cables....

I'm assuming that is used to go in and out of reverse......but I followed the cable and it goes to the rear brake caliper.......so I'm even more confused now.

I'd be even more confused if it DIDN'T go to the rear brake calipar! That would be a parking brake cable... especially if it's the same looking as your ATC250R. I have yet to see a 250R with reverse... :rolleyes: Remember what assuming gets you... Assume... makes a @#$ out of '*' and ME :naughty:

You would probably get better responses if you posted this in the Quad Forum ... you know the golf cart section of the board. ;) You may want to search the ATV for instructions about the reverse, look in a manual/repair guide, or go to a parts fiche online for Kawi's that might show you a part schematic that makes sense.

Bruce

CodyRx7
03-30-2005, 03:07 AM
Hmm....

Ok, parking brake. Now that makes sense....except for the fact that it doesn't work as a parking brake when pulled, but I can see how its supposed to work.

I don't have the manual or anything for this, bought it used just the other day from some consignment shop in town.

I'll probably drop this thing off at the shop tomorrow, let them figure it out.

Hopefully the 3 wheelers will be ready for pickup tomorrow, so I have something to play with and not everything in the shop at once.

smokey
03-30-2005, 09:00 AM
On the lakota there is a switch with a cable up by the netral light

250sxer
03-30-2005, 10:30 AM
I have never seen a Mojave but it may be like the Warrior.....Check under the tank for a pull button....if it is pulled out then when you shifted down to Neutral, you may have shifted down one too many times and it went into reverse.....Push that button back in and shift back up...it should go back into neutral....

If you can get a pic of the bike up close, I can find the reverse lever, but the button on the clutch is definately for the parking brake. To make it work, just adjust the worm gear in your rear caliper that the p-brake cable is hooked to to where when you pull the p-brake it screws in tight enough to engage the rear brakes, but if your rear brakes dont work, then the p-brake wont work either...

CodyRx7
03-30-2005, 01:43 PM
Rear brakes work with the foot pedal, but not with the Parking Brake lever, so I assume I will need to adjust the cable for that.

I will post a pic of the machine in a few minutes. If there is a section of it you need me to take a picture of, let me know.

CodyRx7
03-30-2005, 01:52 PM
I noticed a bracket with nothing on it near the gas tank....is this where the lever is for reverse on your Lakota?

CodyRx7
03-30-2005, 01:58 PM
Hmm...pic of the Lakota shows a reverse gear lockout knob...

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mckaw/mcphotos/lakota12.jpg

CodyRx7
03-30-2005, 02:01 PM
"Reverse is engaged by shifting down to neutral and turning the dash mounted reverse interlock knob and shifting down."

What does that knob connect to? Is there a cable down to somewhere on the quad?

CodyRx7
03-30-2005, 02:14 PM
This is apparently the switch I am missing..

http://i14.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/b9/aa/f5_1_b.JPG

CodyRx7
03-30-2005, 02:17 PM
Yeah, found it is a cable from an older ebay listing.....what does the end connect to? I wonder if I'm missing what its supposed to connect to as well.

http://i14.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/a1/af/6a_1_b.JPG

CodyRx7
03-30-2005, 03:28 PM
Got it working. Previous owner installed a flathead screw in the place where the actual part is supposed to be. Quarter turn the left, it clicks out of the reverse lockout and into forward gears. Works for now...I'll be looking for replacement parts to restore the factory reverse mechanism.