PDA

View Full Version : Tecate Extended Swingarm Question

Meat-BoX
03-29-2005, 09:08 PM
If I was to buy an Extended Swingarm for my Tecate, how much of an extension would be good for Everyday riding and some Sand Drags at Mik6's pad? I think 4" is too much but I dont know. I was thinking 2" but will that have any affect or is 4" better?

Meat-BoX
03-30-2005, 12:05 AM
Whats a got extension length for normal everyday riding? Allso if you read close Im saying I might have a 84-85 Tecate extended swingarm connection. Nobody noticed? Damn all you honda and yamaha guys. Us Tecate guys are comin on strong.

1984kxtTECATE
03-30-2005, 01:48 AM
My origanl swinger was extended 1.5" with a effort I could pop the front wheel up in fourth. But it still handled pretty good.

tecatecrazy
03-30-2005, 06:56 PM
i have used +2 on my tecate for a couple of years now and like it very much. In my opinion the stock swinger is way too short for the power these bikes have and make the front end very lite. +2 will be an all around good length for anything that you will want to do with your bike on a stock bore.

Joe

Jeb
03-30-2005, 07:14 PM
i have used +2 on my tecate for a couple of years now and like it very much. In my opinion the stock swinger is way too short for the power these bikes have and make the front end very lite. +2 will be an all around good length for anything that you will want to do with your bike on a stock bore.

Joe

My thoughts exactly, Joe!

Rex Karz
03-31-2005, 04:05 AM
Just made a couple of passes up and down the alley on my '87 Tecate for the first time today. The clutch was slipping and still it felt VERY SHORT. I am seriously looking into lengthening my swinger. Do you guys dune these? I don't hear anyone worring about losing turning ability.

1984kxtTECATE
03-31-2005, 05:02 AM
I have a 4" extension on my first gen Tecate, it makes a difference, in the sand I still acheived good handling becuase it will slide around the way I want to and sand is nice and loose. It helps keep the front end down a lot, but with my cheap Gecko tires I had on it I was still able to get the front end up, this was on some hill climbs and I could do it while in 2nd with not much effort, now that I have the sand stars I think it will come up a lot easier becuase they are a susperior tire to the Gecko's, these are great dunning machines, you will be suprised at the look on peoples faces when you pass there banshee.

LonesomeTriZ
03-31-2005, 05:48 AM
Thirteen inches should be enough. ;)

TRITecate350
09-28-2005, 11:41 PM
On my 86 Tecate-3 I am going to go +4 and when I drag it I will just lower it. I am building a custom aluminum swingarm using all the tec-4 rear end goodies, I hate the way Kawasaki has the chain adjuster and axle carrier. I have problems with the carrier bolts falling out and then throwing the chain, seams like I am always measuring from the footpegs to make sure the axle is strait. After I am done, I will just rotate the carrier to adjust the chain and the axle will be strait automaticly. Also I will be able to buy extended axles for the t-4 and use it on the trike. Cant wait to go to little sahara this fall.

BigGreenMachine
09-29-2005, 01:26 PM
get ahold of Oldschoolin on this forum. He has a company that can make you any length extended swingarm for your Tecate that uses a Honda 400ex rear carrier, axle, etc. Very nice set up for not so much cash.

I have a +2 Champion thats going on my T3. The stock swingarm is alright for the stock motor but once the mods start happening the bike has too light of a frontend. I like it for playing around but on the hills and in the trails around here the +2 is going to be worth more then its weight in gold.

OldSchoolin86
09-29-2005, 05:04 PM
get ahold of Oldschoolin on this forum. He has a company that can make you any length extended swingarm for your Tecate that uses a Honda 400ex rear carrier, axle, etc. Very nice set up for not so much cash.

I have a +2 Champion thats going on my T3. The stock swingarm is alright for the stock motor but once the mods start happening the bike has too light of a frontend. I like it for playing around but on the hills and in the trails around here the +2 is going to be worth more then its weight in gold.
Thanks, I also make OEM style too. Pics will be coming soon. As far as the length I recommend a +2 or +3.

Rex Karz
09-30-2005, 02:42 AM
The Tecate is really 2 different trikes: on sand with paddles and on dirt with knobbies. With knobbies I don't need an extension but on sand with paddles it is completely unridable.

Enigma
09-30-2005, 03:41 AM
I have a +2 on my 85 but I havent had a chance to take it out in the dunes yet. But I wouldnt say the stock swinger with paddles is "completely" unridable but it is a chore. I also got a +2 axle with the swinger and I can allready feel how much more balance it has.