PDA

View Full Version : 250R hub on tri z??

TRI Z Racer
03-29-2005, 02:27 AM
i think i remember seeing someone using a 250R front hub on a tri z so they can run a smaller front rim. I think the person ended up using the 250R brakes too. i tried searching for the post but no luck. If you did something like this can you still run the tri z brakes? what year 250R hub works? What parts are needed to make everything work? can anyone shed some light on this?

Jeb
03-29-2005, 11:36 AM
I had that set up on my 85 for a short while. I used the 85 R front hub, rim, and disc. I used the Z axle and spacers. I had to space the stock Tri-Z caliper over a little but it worked fine.

I switched to an OEM 86 Tri-Z 23" front tire a few weeks ago and put all the correct stuff back on the Z.

First pic shows the R setup. 2nd shows the 23" Z Tire.

TRI Z Racer
03-29-2005, 12:41 PM
nice, thats exactly what i was looking for, thanks jeb!

mike from long island
03-29-2005, 09:38 PM
nice disc cover where did ya get that??? :naughty:

Wickedfinger
03-30-2005, 12:42 AM
I had an '85 ATC350X front hub on my '85/'86 Frankenflyer Z. Easy conversion - all you need is the correct sized washer to get the brake rotor to line up.

TRI Z Racer
03-30-2005, 01:07 AM
nice, thanks guys

Richyrich
03-30-2005, 01:38 AM
I had that set up on my 85 for a short while. I used the 85 R front hub, rim, and disc. I used the Z axle and spacers. I had to space the stock Tri-Z caliper over a little but it worked fine.

I have a couple of questions for you Jeb. I'm guessing the ID on the hub bearings are the same if that worked; what about the OD and width? Also, I am guessing that the front axles are the same length. Let me know if I am out in left field on this one.

Jeb
03-30-2005, 12:30 PM
nice disc cover where did ya get that??? :naughty:

I got that from a most decent individual. ;) :beer

I just wish, like i'm sure he did, that I could find the other side! :cry:

I have a couple of questions for you Jeb. I'm guessing the ID on the hub bearings are the same if that worked; what about the OD and width? Also, I am guessing that the front axles are the same length. Let me know if I am out in left field on this one.

The bearings are the EXACTLY the same. The axle lengths I never compared. Dont know about the spacers either. They look different between the two ATVs.

fattri-z
03-30-2005, 08:31 PM
So I guess you're using the rim and hub from the 85 Z now Jeb ? Thats gotta help in holding the front down using a tire thats a bit smaller. Would be nice for shootin hills too. :Bounce

Jeb
03-31-2005, 06:14 PM
Yes, I'm now running the stock 85 Tri-Z rim, hub and disc. My R stuff has been returned to the R. I have a new Dunlop KT732 23x8-12 tire on the rim. That was the OEM tire for the 86 Tri-Z.

I think it turns better with the low-profile 23-12 tire. The switch eliminated the sidewall flex of the 25" stocker. Plus it shifts the geometry forward. There's a reason Yamaha went to that tire size in 86. My opinion is it was a significant steering improvement.

Billy Golightly
04-01-2005, 12:56 PM
I tried ordering one of those Dunlops yesterday and I got a call from the guy at tires unlimited and he said its discontinued. Has been for 1-2 years he said. I'm getting the 489 instead which he said is the standard front on alot of the Polaris Quads. Same size, just going to have the more agressive tread pattern that 'holic hates ;). So if anyone finds a place that still has these in stock, they better hoard them while they can.