PDA

View Full Version : DG exhaust system on a triz anyone

mike from long island
03-25-2005, 06:35 PM
i just bought a brand new complete DG exhaust system for my tri-z. well it fits for crap. i had to use a banshee exhaust hanger on the silencer. it was the only one i had too. i still need one for the head pipe. the LRD exhaust i have fit stock mounting brackets and bolt holes!! my Phase Five exhaust fit the same as the LRD. anyone else have this problem? i like the sound and power it adds but hate the mounting points. i am selling my Z and want to keep the LRD,swingarm,and a few other hard to find parts. so seeing how DG was the only exhaust avaliable i when with that.but since i got the bike running better,(still scared about the carb) it is fast as hell. scary fast. well scary because the rear brakes dont work now lol. and trying to stop at top speeds with only half arse front brakes gets the hair up on my neck. well give me your thoughts about the DG thanks mike any help hints too

twgranger
03-25-2005, 07:12 PM
My DG didn't mount worth a **** either.

Trikeaholic
03-25-2005, 07:19 PM
why dont you sell me a pipe mike??

CHAINSAW
03-25-2005, 07:38 PM
as far as I can remember, me complete DG system bolted up fine, just like the stock setup.

mike from long island
03-25-2005, 07:49 PM
hey holic i had that Phase Five for $150 but no one on 3ww wanted it. so i put it on ebay and sold it for $250. plus it was shipped to the UK. gone from the good ole USA forever!!!!!! money talks bull shitt walks.

Bill X_R
03-25-2005, 08:15 PM
i am selling my Z

Dude you change your trikes more than I change my underoo's!

03 ORANGE SHEE
03-25-2005, 08:42 PM
i got one of the last ones from dg, rubs the frame, holes dont line up, i used the banshee hanger too, its like they weld pieces togther with no jig or something, same goes for there grab bars and bumpers, the zilla i have, the holes dont line up either.... junk! :mad:

MTS
03-25-2005, 08:53 PM
mine fits fine...but its an old old old one that was found at the scrap yard ....the flang (think thats the name...cirulare thing that gos to head?) was way to fing big for it tho....its being cut down and refited...

twgranger
03-25-2005, 11:07 PM
i got one of the last ones from dg, rubs the frame, holes dont line up, i used the banshee hanger too, its like they weld pieces togther with no jig or something, same goes for there grab bars and bumpers, the zilla i have, the holes dont line up either.... junk! :mad:
One of the last DG?? Their are plenty of new ones available.

asc180
03-25-2005, 11:46 PM
I had problem with my silencer too. The pipe fit fine. Made a bracket for it.

Wickedfinger
03-26-2005, 04:20 AM
I had the same problem with my '86 framed Z, The rear stinger mounting hole was almost 3" off. I ended up using a piece of slotted angle iron to mount it properly. I had it powder coated and it ended up looking pretty sano.

stevensj13
10-10-2011, 11:35 AM
I have an original DG from back in the day on my Z, fits like a glove although it did melt the rear portion of the front fender a little on the edge. Bummer too, that front fender is perfect!

El Camexican
10-10-2011, 12:44 PM
133299I have two DG pipes. One fits like crap and the other like a glove. Go figure! The bad one seems to have too long an exaust flange, much longer that the snout on the cylinder. If you try to cut it to suit the pipe hits the frame. If you leave it as is there is all kinds of oil gushing out and I would imagine air getting pulled back into the cylinder as well. It also melted the stock fender. The second pipe has a much shorter snout and does not hit the frame. I purchased a automotive exaust gasket on ebay that some guy said was the the perfect fit for a Z and he was right. I added a 3rd spring mount on the lower right side of the cylinder (just like the left comes with) added that gasket, covered the snout with silicon and put it together using three new generic springs from Rocky Mountain ATV. I repaired my broken rubber chassis mounts with 4mm SS bolts, purchased an ultra cool silicon exaust joint on ebay and then cut my new rear fender to prevent it from melting, repacked the DG silencer and called it a day. Compaired to other aftermarket pipes I've mounted, I'd say that it went as well as it could have. So far no leaks.

El Camexican
10-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Here are a couple more. I cut the fender to suit after these were taken.

zmpolaristech
12-15-2011, 02:22 AM
I know this is an old thread, but I went to mount the Dg exhaust system on my wifes Tri-Z tonight...WHAT A PIECE OF trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro!! Fits like...well... like you would expect anything from DG to fit! No matter what combo of pipe mounts and gaskets I tried, the silencer hit the frame...and the fenders, and stuck out at an angle, and stuck out too far.... Pipe seems to fit good with the stock Z mount, and it clears everything accept a very small porion of the front fender. The silencer simply looks like hell. SO, first I cut the junction flange off the silencer. Then I mounted the silencer directly to the rear silencer bolt hole on the sub-frame (instead of using the "hanger"), Got it nice and straight, then hacked 1 1/4" out of the mid pipe. Taking that bit out of the mid pipe, just after the connector, makes everything ALL better. Mid pipe no longer hits the frame or fender, and the silencer doesn't look like you cobled a blaster silencer on!LOL! I am gonna have a buddy tig it back together for me tomorrow. I would put some pics up, but my wife would kill me...

Bryan Raffa
12-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Maybe when DG. Stops makeing the pipe... and ya can't get em anymore ....everyone will love em.....spend the big bucks and have a hand Coned pipe made... love. How everyone bashes DG. Guess. When you make 10s of thousands of pipes there not all perfict.. just saying...

zmpolaristech
12-15-2011, 01:42 PM
I have NEVER been a fan of ANYTHING DG...Just sayin...

MTS
12-16-2011, 01:35 AM
guess I could add my two cents in here. still have the old dg pipe on mine with a proper sized flange and the stock rubber mounts for both the pipe and the answer silencer but had to trim my fenders a bit, had a joint made for the two and trimed the frame mount for the silencer a bit....but no leaks!! and preforms good, lots of room between the pipe and head/ carb ...unlike some that rub.

Dirtcrasher
12-16-2011, 02:16 AM
It's not much different than saying the DG Blaster pipe is junk.

When I actually had a girl, with that pipe and jetted it; We had no complaints and plenty of power gains.......

Not everyone has the cash for custom pipes or other brands that run double the cost. We don't all competitively race; gains for trail racing are just fine :beer

zmpolaristech
12-16-2011, 12:43 PM
We're not talking about performance here...We're talking about fit and finish of the pipe and silencer....which is terrible, whether you like the pipe or not... they fit like trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro!

I can't complain about performance...yet. This is the first Tri-Z I have owned with a DG pipe and stock carb, and thats only because it came with the bike, and my wife has to be able to ride the thing. I probably won't know how I like it till I can compare it to my trail bike at Icefest.

El Camexican
12-17-2011, 12:43 AM
The way I see it DG pipes are like the old chrome V&H street pipes: Cheap price, iffy fit and finish, but with a little elbow grease you'll get it on and be happy with the results. Check out the price on a Termignoni pipe AND not all of them can be assembled without a little grunting either. Sorry to hear you got a bad one ZM, but I was very happy to find something shiny, new and under $300. I guess I lucked out cuz mine went on pretty easy and having to trim a little plastic did not seem like a hassle when I think about the mods some street bikes require to fit a $1,200 pipe. I'd buy another if I had too, just need to be sure it has the small, short flange.