PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Honda 250SX How good are they?

bhartley
03-25-2005, 08:23 AM
How good overall are these 3 wheelers .
Are they better then the Yamaha 225DX overall? Trails,hills ,fun factor.
What is a good 1985 250SX worth these days .
I have a chance to buy both . I can get the Yamaha for about $350 cheaper then the Honda but I am not sure whitch would be better overall.
I could use your guy's knowledge ..

Thank's

Bill

ClayW
03-25-2005, 11:09 AM
The SX is a good, stong, reliable bike. It has kick start for back up rather than pull start like the Yamaha. The only potential weekness on the SX is the front forks. They are prone to bend a little if it is jumped and beat around a lot. My old SXs forks were slightly bent. Never Owned the Yamaha, but have been curious about them. Just found one for $500 Obo. May Buy it, may not. :p

Tri-ZNate
03-25-2005, 11:15 AM
I love my SXs. I use them for jumps, trails, mud bogs, hill climbs, ect. Put knobbies on them and they will go anywhere (seriously). I have never owned a yamaha so I cant give an opion about them.

85 250sx
03-25-2005, 04:35 PM
the 250sx is a great machine it is a sport/utility with electric start verly low first gear and reverse. they have lots of power and like 250sxwheeliepop siad they go anywhere they are also pretty quick. they have a drive shaft so no worrying about loose chains poping off.

mikey's250sx
03-25-2005, 04:56 PM
i have an 85 sx and absolutely love it. i hope to have it forever. goes great. loves water and mud. comfy. a wonderful trike. i have no experience with yammies though to compare.

chris200x
03-25-2005, 05:02 PM
listen closely to what i'm a bout to tell ya...BUY THE HONDA!!!

Dirtcrasher
03-25-2005, 08:16 PM
As long as you don't want to jump huge or go real fast then you will love your cadillac of all ATC's.

mukaweenuk
03-25-2005, 09:04 PM
go read the scanned articles page it has about 6 pages on the SX in updated site.Go with the SX....

1984kxtTECATE
03-25-2005, 10:52 PM
One thing you cant do with the 250SX..............................Go wrong with buyin it, these trikes are almost bullet proof and I am sure parts are way more readly avaible than the 225DX.

trikezilla
03-25-2005, 11:44 PM
i have heard the sx'x have been kind of known for having shifting problems...is that really true? i am aslo thinking about buying my cousins, but it is pretty beat, but hey: ITS A HONDA!!

PowerTrike
03-25-2005, 11:53 PM
I haven't heard of any common tranny probs...If the 225dx is in a lot better shape and cheaper I'd go with it. Owned one and its a pretty nice ride but I would definatly prefer the SX if I had a choice over the two in similar condition.

Dirtcrasher
03-26-2005, 09:59 AM
i have heard the sx'x have been kind of known for having shifting problems...is that really true? i am aslo thinking about buying my cousins, but it is pretty beat, but hey: ITS A HONDA!!

The SX is known for some weak links in the shifting department.

But I only see one of them as a manufacturing process. The shift pin that snaps off always snaps in the same place. Threads themselves don't hold things tight like this pin, it needs a flat shoulder to butt up against. If anyone takes the time to look at the Honda casting in that center case you will see quite a good area that is unsupported by any thread or metal and thats exactly where these pins snap every time. But, it's a quick, cheap easy fix.

You never know how the last owner treted your SX. I believe that most shifting problems are from abusing the automatic feature. Power shifting and starting in too high a gear are not a good thing for the SX.

Out of the 6 250SX's I have owned, 4 of them had either a bad shift drum or broken shift pins.

I still wouldn't trade my SX's for anything.....

250sxer
03-26-2005, 02:54 PM
listen closely to what i'm a bout to tell ya...BUY THE HONDA!!!

I agree with Chris....buy the Honda. I have a 85 SX and will have pics on here soon as well. My front forks stayed straight till I ran it off a 12' cliff...lol
As soon as my new forks come in, I will post some pics....the SX is quick, powerful and with my Bear Claws, it will go anywhere. Very fun trike to own.

P.S. Chris, can you post a bigger pic of your AVATAR....please...lol

mad_max
03-26-2005, 10:15 PM
Get the SX....I dont recommend buying a project trike as parts costs can add up quickly. Pay attention to the shifting and the rear end....look at the rear gear oil, look at the boot that covers the connection from the engine to driveshaft. You DONT want milky oil or a torn boot.
Otherwise they are a sweetheart of a trike. :w00t:

mad_max
03-26-2005, 10:18 PM
Power shifting and starting in too high a gear are not a good thing for the SX.....

Steve, are high gear starts hard on just clutches or other parts?

straight pipe
03-27-2005, 01:30 AM
do i really have to say anything?

canadiandevil2
03-27-2005, 08:40 PM
i was out drivin with one today and it is one of the best trikes ive ever seen. this thing had no plastics, bald tires and no headlight but that thing went anywhere. it had no first gear but would pull through through anything. they will wheelie awosome to. oh ya the trike was 20 years old but didnt smoke a bit.

84250r
03-27-2005, 10:58 PM
I use to own an 85. I must say it was one of the best 3 wheelers i have owned. Electric start,shaft drive,reverse,full suspension,automatic,and had the sporty style of the 200/350x. I regret selling it,but hopefully someday i will come across another one soon.

Dirtcrasher
03-28-2005, 09:21 AM
Not even just the clutch, I find it more to be bad on the shifting parts, The SX does not like to stay in gear under heavy loads like going slow and upshifting then throttling it. I'm talking 3rd gear like some meatball suggested in a drag race - not good. But we all know how low 1st gear is and 2nd gear starts do drag the clutch on a bit. Without a manual clutch you just can't do what you can with a manual clutch.

mikey's250sx
03-28-2005, 10:22 AM
the only thing i don't like about my sx is i feel it needs another gear on top or the ability to change the final drive. 1st is insanely low and when you wind out 5th like i do on these old rr tracks i always want a 6th gear. oh well.
and i agree i would like to see a bigger pic of chrisr200x's avatar. :naughty:

sxyryan
03-28-2005, 11:18 AM
either trike is a good reliable trail bike. if you can afford it, i would go with the sx, just because i like reverse and i cant count how many times i have pulled on the pull start of the dx and it stops halfway through the pull and just about rips you arm off.

but both have a lot of get up and go, the 225 surprised me how much "umf" it had for such a small motor

bigredhead
03-28-2005, 02:18 PM
Got an SX .. and i love it.

Had a big red. had another 200, never tried an X tho.. but of everything i've ridden, quads included.. the SX was the best so far.

And for the love of god.. someone make a 6th gear kit !!!