PDA

View Full Version : Keeps shuttin off and wont start....?

mattdilliplane
03-24-2005, 05:29 PM
Hey i have a 83 big red. Sometimes when im riding it will just shut off. Then when i goto start it, it wont start. I have to compression start it. Any ideas? Maybe clean the carb?

250RNUT
03-24-2005, 06:06 PM
Sounds like you have a intermittent elec. problem if it just quits without bogging or anything. check your harness for any loose connections along with the grounds.Thats all I can think of.

CodyRx7
03-24-2005, 06:53 PM
Compression start it? Whats that? I have a YTM200 that I have to have checked out at a local shop because it won't start to save it's life with the pull cord, but starts if we drag it behind a car with a pull rope, and kick it in gear...

The shop explained it was either a gummed up carb, or the rings are so worn out that the heat from jump starting it expands them to allow sufficient compression...

mattdilliplane
03-24-2005, 07:09 PM
Well its been sitting for about 6 years so my guess is the carb. Im gunna clean it out...eventually. I fricken work all the time lol

but yeah compression start =

drag it behind a car with a pull rope, and kick it in gear...

Or you can even just roll the sucker down a hill

threewheelin-feelin
03-24-2005, 09:22 PM
my old 200s did that to me.....it was the ignition coil.....one thing about the coil is....it can test fine and still be bad....or at least thats how mine was

BLAZERONE22
03-24-2005, 09:49 PM
Gas cap vents go bad also, you might check that.

350x'inNY
03-24-2005, 10:06 PM
Check your petcock filter.... switch it to reserve from 'on'

Didn't you say something about it having a hole in the recoil? You could be getting water into your stator too if it's not sealed well inside.

Bruce

mattdilliplane
03-25-2005, 12:35 AM
stator? where is that? The case to the pullstart has a whole in it, its sealed with some blue substance. Not too sure what it is. Probably caulk, maybe jb weld...who knows