PDA

View Full Version : You a power or handling junkie?

Huffa
03-23-2005, 09:10 PM
I always preferred handling over power any day. I really don't give a rats ***** how fast it is top speed wise. Anyone can accomplish that by twisting the throttle but anyone can't accomplish tricky manuvers, off cambers, lifting the wheel just right over logs, rocks, etc, unweighting and weighting it just right so all the motions are fluid. That takes skill & time adjusting to the machine.

Most important to me is having a healthy smooth low to mid range for those manuvers and that's real important in east coast woods.

Guess that's why my favorite machine is the 200X. Love to try a 350X someday though (hint,hint :D ).

What's your preference?

Maine_Triker
03-23-2005, 09:14 PM
I prefer... both. I don't want to sacrifice handeling for power tho, but what good is a unit with no power?

deathman53
03-23-2005, 09:22 PM
I prefer hanlding over power, well, my 250r is a world of both, but first came the handling department, on a already fast bike, you don't need to work on power first. I worked on hanlding on my 200x big time, because it really needed it badly, now to put in my built motor for power.

Huffa
03-23-2005, 09:26 PM
I didn't say no power, I'm just pointing out what I weigh most important to me.

I read a lap time test once on 3 Honda XR's. One a 250, one a 250 punched out to a 280 and a 400XR. In actual lap times the stock 250 was the easiest to handle and the riders had their quickest times. Get my point?........Power isn't everything and it can actually make you slower depending on the terrain your riding on.

hrc85250r
03-23-2005, 09:29 PM
i like power.because its more fun to go fast.

MTS
03-23-2005, 09:32 PM
depdnds on the terrain, but im one to build power befor handling heh....

Huffa
03-23-2005, 09:32 PM
i like power.because its more fun to go fast.

I think it's more fun to have a smaller trike and beat the guy (thru the woods) that has a much larger CC then you. Now that's fun!

deathman53
03-23-2005, 10:03 PM
defintley, where I ride, I'm hanging with guys and beating them through the woods on my 200x, they are riding 400ex's, one has a trx250r, ds650, I get beat in the fields, but cna't have everything. I smoked a bunch of guys on raptors also. The best is when you beat quad guys on a mx track, done that many times on my atc250r. they refuse to talk to you after that.

Meat-BoX
03-23-2005, 10:11 PM
I got Power on the Tecate, I got it geared for tight trails so on open trails Im allways looking for another Gear. Im gonna get some new Sprokets for when I go someplace that has alot of long wide trails. As for handling I cant find an Extended Swinger for an 84-85 Tecate. A wider Axle would be sweet but not untill I find the Swinger. Im not into hub extenders, I just feel that they are a weak point. Anyone want to sell me some goodies, I got CASH

Dammit!
03-23-2005, 10:15 PM
Both. I can't afford to feed my addictions though. Rehab through poverty! :p

Huffa
03-23-2005, 10:53 PM
defintley, where I ride, I'm hanging with guys and beating them through the woods on my 200x, they are riding 400ex's, one has a trx250r, ds650, I get beat in the fields, but cna't have everything. I smoked a bunch of guys on raptors also. The best is when you beat quad guys on a mx track, done that many times on my atc250r. they refuse to talk to you after that.

That's usually the case. Instead of coming over and saying.......Hey, your really good on that, they just snob you off.

Your from Englishtown. I'm 2 hours from there. Gotta get together sometime!

1984kxtTECATE
03-23-2005, 11:03 PM
Power for the sand, my Tecate handles alright in it too, but fo hill climbes and what not power is what you need, the sand soaks a lot of it up.

deathman53
03-23-2005, 11:10 PM
last saturday at chattsworth I was passing some of them, the track was pretty ruff, these guys got a kick out of how I was power-sliding around this one turn, rear end was completely side-ways while the front wheel was cut the complete opposite way,if the turn after that was in better shape I could have rode better. I ususally get comments like"I haven't seen one of them in years, especailly like yours", sometimes the dumb comments "aren't those things illegal". I wanna get another day for rausch Creek together, hopefully mother nature will cooperate with us, well atleast exriders's day at rausch creek the 28th is reuined also.