PDA

View Full Version : 86 Z not starting

Kintore
03-23-2005, 05:28 PM
To start off I was going to drive the Z around so decided to go start her up, I got her going for like 45 seconds then right about when I was going to take the full choke off it idled real high then quit. Then I broke/snapped my throttle cable on the unit a minute later after is stalled. So I took it to my buddy (Actual store not just a crazy person) And he fixed the cable. Now it wont start at all, I made sure it was getting spark, tried 2 different plugs, Checked electrical, checked gas, warmed the engine, check to see if the fuel was on. So maybe I thought it was flooded so I left it overnight and came back and still nothing. It will turn over but just not catch and start running.
Any ideas?

thanks-
Josh

mbubbac
03-23-2005, 05:33 PM
i would say to richen it up a lil cuz its a 2 stroke and they always ahves 2 be tuned 2 the right weather

bigredhead
03-23-2005, 05:33 PM
Fixed the cable how ?...

replaced it or some other method ?

Kintore
03-23-2005, 05:38 PM
yes replaced it, just ran outside to try again but nothing.

twgranger
03-23-2005, 05:42 PM
Sounds like it quit getting gas if it idled real high and then quit. Mine did that when it ran out of gas but you said you check that. You check the carb to make sure nothing is clogged like jets and everything is clean?

Kintore
03-23-2005, 05:44 PM
I can smell gas coming out of the exhaust

Darius1502
03-23-2005, 05:57 PM
Take the spark plug off and pour some gas down in there. Replace the plug and see if it starts.

That usually gets mine going. Also make sure your throttle slide is moving freeing and not hung up. This is the part that goes in the carb that you unscrew the top cap to get to. If the throttle is hung up open that could flood the trike so it won't start.

Z's are funny sometimes.

hrc85250r
03-23-2005, 06:46 PM
use a little ether right thorugh the spark plug hole....not too much, just a second or 2....it wont start cause its still a little cold out... trust me, i know i live right by the st lawrence and its still a little chilly in the north!

twgranger
03-23-2005, 07:03 PM
use a little ether right thorugh the spark plug hole....not too much, just a second or 2....it wont start cause its still a little cold out... trust me, i know i live right by the st lawrence and its still a little chilly in the north!Yes it is still pretty chilly where im at too. :(

MTS
03-23-2005, 07:31 PM
did you use new spark plugs? also you gota Watch the jetting on the 2 strokes in the winter if you dont change them from summer they can be pickey

Darius1502
03-23-2005, 07:47 PM
Kintore...I know how you feel. I put blue marble in my Z and now it wont start at all.

Geez...I am getting tired of these old machines...reall tired!

Kintore
03-23-2005, 07:50 PM
git r done!!!!!
Got it going, turns out since buddy fiddled with carb when he did the cable, there was a ton of gas in it, and since i kicked it over like 80 times there tons of gas. So we pulled her down the road and then just kept it going till it burned all the gas. After that is was fine, took a tour around the farm than ran outa gas lol, DARN IT!
so its running good though, thanks alot for the help

MTS
03-23-2005, 08:16 PM
you think you got problems, my Z is in millon pieces :p, good to hear ya got it going