PDA

View Full Version : ITP steel wheels, any good?

mx600
03-23-2005, 02:01 PM
Redoing my 200s and am buying new tires. It turns out to be more cost effective to buy a whole wheel package rather than just tires (after shipping charges and mounting)...plus I end up with an extra set of wheels to mount some mudders onto.

So my question is about the ITP steel wheels. Are they comparable to OEM honda wheels, or are they very thin? I don't want to get something that'll give me problems if I ride too hard or over rocks, but I also don't want to go overboard on a simple 200s. Anyone with experience on these?

Huffa
03-23-2005, 06:37 PM
Boy, we sure are making a project about getting wheels & tires.......aren't we? :D

Anyway, I'm not 100% sure but I don't believe the ITP's are made like the Douglas with this rolled lip which is simular in design to the stock Honda X wheels. Being rolled it doubles the strength I imagine.

http://douglaswheel.com/images/rolledlip.gif

Like you said though it only is a 200S and your not going to motoxing the thing down the trail at high speed.

Update: I called Rcoky Mountain and they said they don't list a guage for steel becuase it is naturally thicker then aluminum ones and it would get too confusing I guess to the average consumer. Hard to come to a conclusion what the steel is equivelient to in alum? That's was what we arrived at anyway.......she didn't really have a real answer for why no guage listing.

The rolled lip on the Douglas only comes in the "Ultimate" style which cost an arm and a leg!! That's why used honda rims seem like such a good deal as the ultimates seem to be a copy of them or close to them anyway.

Douglas standard wheels (6061 heat treated alloy) in a 8X8 go for $28 for 125 guauge, 30 for 160 and 40 for 190.

I think you'll do just fine with the steel jobs, espeicially if you get the Maxxis All-Trak's.

Jeb
03-23-2005, 06:42 PM
I used to run a set of ITP gold 8x8 steel wheels on the rear of my 84 KXT. I still have the wheels and except for rust they are indestructable and heavy.

I dont imagine you'd ever destroy a set.

Meat-BoX
03-23-2005, 10:19 PM
I got ITP T-9 Aluminum rims for my tecate and love em. ITP does make a Rolled lip Rim but I believe it costs a bit more. I have noticed on E-Bay ITP T-9 rims with Beadlocks going for Pretty Cheap. Some dude has lots of em. Those will look cool and Last 4 ever

I want to Ride in Binghamton I just drove through there and saw alot of Trails along RT. 81 going towards the mountains.

1984kxtTECATE
03-23-2005, 11:06 PM
I bought my Tecate with the steel wheels, they are very strong but they are also very heavy, I still have them but I broke down and bought a pair of Douglas red Labels to be used instead.

mx600
03-24-2005, 12:07 PM
I want to Ride in Binghamton I just drove through there and saw alot of Trails along RT. 81 going towards the mountains.

Not to hijack my own thread, but I don't know many trails here in binghamton. There are a ton of snowmobile trails, and I've heard of some other trail systems, but have never been on them. I'm a moto guy and haul my bike to tracks all over the Northeast, so trail riding is new to me. But I'm looking into it around here and will throw a post up on the local riding forum if I find out anything exciting.

Also, where in NY are you?

mx600
03-24-2005, 12:09 PM
Boy, we sure are making a project about getting wheels & tires.......aren't we? :D

Someone told me that I should do it up right, so I'm just making sure I get the best possible deal on everything. Otherwise I'd just run it with the tires on it, and keep a handpump with me. You wouldn't want me to drop back down to that level, would you? :D

Huffa
03-25-2005, 06:22 PM
When I said "we" I meant both of us. I am still undecided what I truely want :rolleyes:

TimSr
03-25-2005, 09:16 PM
I ordered a set of All-Trax on the cheapest model ITP Steel for my friends Recon. They are made as strong as typical OEM steel ones.

Wickedfinger
03-26-2005, 04:28 AM
Spend the extra money on a good set of .190 aluminum .... you wont be disapointed

Oldshell4481
03-27-2005, 08:24 PM
i would find aluminum to be much lighter than steel, but steel would take more of a beating than aluminum if you trail ride hard like i do.