PDA

View Full Version : Battle Of the ATC's!!!

Lomax
03-23-2005, 01:23 PM
Ok, first off, niether of my trikes here are completly stock, The KLT160 has front and rear racks, and 22-11-8 trail pro tires on the rear. The 200s I am going to consider a 185s because thats what motor its has, it also has a 22-9-8 front tire and 22-11-8 dimpled knobbys on the rear, this is just all in good fun.

Its been nearly 20 years since the last ATC rolled off the showroom floor and since the last one was tested. Many of the tests and shootouts have long been forgotton so I thought that it was time that some of these machines go Head to Head again for a battle the trikes, Lets begin!

THE CONTENDERS
There are two ATC's throwing down here to see which one will wheelie away the winnner and the other will go to the garage to wait another day for a stroll around the block. The first one Up is the 1985 Kawasaki KLT 160. The other Machine is a 1985 185s (yeah I know they didnt make a 185 in 85 but its a 185 motor in a 200s frame remember?).

CREATURE COMFORTS
After just a quick look at these machines you can tell they look quite different, Controls are about the same as far as brakes, throttle and shifting go, but the Kawasaki gets the edge on convinence here, With its handlebar mounted choke system and...Wait.. whats this, Reverse Gear! Truley a feature that will come in Handy on the trail rather than hoping off and pushing on the handlebars. Honda stayed more straight forward in this department with a carb mounted choke system and no reverse gear.

HOW DO THEY FEEL
Well, they couldnt feel quite different, The Honda is the Clear cut winner in this department, When you get in the saddle of the Honda, you sit in, and everything feels like its right where is belongs, right at your fingertips, Where the Kawasaki on the other hand is a little odd, I am not sure if maybe I am too tall but it felt more like I was sitting on it than in it. It kinda made all the control locatons and overall feel a bit strange for agressive riding.

START EM' UP
This is about as straight forward as anything could get here, both machines were easy as it can be to get going. Just grab the recoil and give it a good tug. Couldnt really pick a winner here as neither machine needed the choke to fire up. The honda was a little harder to pull than the Kawasaki, but the little Kawasaki need more than one pull to bring it to life.

HOWS THE PROTECTION
Splash Protection on the machines is a tossup, where the Kawasaki seemed to keep a little more of the Tirespinning mud off of your back than the Honda, its vented front fender, seems to like to get you wet. There really wasnt anyway for me to pick a clear winner in this Department.

GOING FOR A SPIN
This is where it became fun. Getting on and going for a ride on these two wonderful little ATC's. First out was the Kawasaki, After making a few laps around the trails on it I Became acustomed to it and its quite fun to drive around. Shifting is very smoth and brakes are top notch. When in the Tight stuff stuff I overshot a turn once and Its Reverse system came into play, Simply put the Machine in neutal, press down on the engine mounted lever, and click up on the shifter. That made things alot eaiser and quicker to getting back on the trails.
After a good run with it I decided it was the Honda's turn. The is an instant difference between them. Where You are making good time on the Kawasaki, you a Flying on the Honda, Not the that power was that much better, But the Handling and overall feel was much more inspiring over the Kawasaki. In the same place where I overshot the turn on the Kawi, I Flew right threw on the Honda. I also noticed that on the Honda I made a few more laps in the same amount of time. I cant really say that the Honda's brakes where any better than the Kawasaki's, but they did seem a tad more effective when it was time to lock them down. I would have to say in this Department the Honda reigned supreme.

NOW ITS TIME TO WORK ON THEM
Both machines are pretty straightforward in this department. Oil changes are a breeze, and adjusting the brakes was very simple, However where the Honda uses a conventinal chain drive setup that needs frequent attention, the Kawasaki uses a low mantinence, shaft drive system. When it comes to cleaning the air Filter, the Hondas wing nut lid system was nicer than the Kawasaki's need for tools.

WHAT DO I THINK
Think that both of these ATC'S are excellent machines overall. The Kawasaki has some nice features that make it a little nicer than the Honda when it comes to manitenince and Riding. Things like Reverse and the Handlebar mounted choke all aim this thing at easy operation. Unfortuantlly, its just not enough, Sure working on its, a little eaiser than the Honda, But when it comes to how they fit and feel, the Kawasaki seems more aimed at someone with a leisure ride in mind or someone planning to just get around. The Honda has the Sporty feel and excellent overall feel to it that make it an absolute Kick to ride around on. So, at the end of this Ride, I have to say, I am wheeling down the Driveway on the Honda and Letting The Kawasaki Take a break in the Shop.

Everything I wrote here was just in good fun and was accuate to the way my machines drove, and felt. Lets see some other Tests of Machine VS. Machine (not copied out of a magizine) to see who can take on the Mighty Honda.....

dooner17
03-23-2005, 03:36 PM
Sounds prety reasonable. I have the exaxct same trikes. The 160 however is kind of a project bike but it runs good.

Lomax
03-23-2005, 04:16 PM
Yeah, i just thought that it would be fun to write a little comapison. I am kinda hoping that other people on here that have various machines in the same class will pit them up against each other to see which ones are better and where they shine. Or just do like an Independent test of the bike so people that are looking for new ATC's will have some information on them, Kinda rider feedback.

seadoo650
03-24-2005, 12:53 AM
Not sure what to compare the 350X to. Maybe an 85 to an 86. Now I just got to get an 86. LOL