PDA

View Full Version : Where is the Idle Screw on an 86 Tri Z?

Darius1502
03-21-2005, 06:07 PM
I have been tinkering with some screw on my carb and its not making my idle speed go up or down.

Its on the left side of the carb. I assume this is the idle screw but it has a nut around it and it does not make my trike idle faster or slower.

The R has me confused because on that trike you turn the choke knob. I lost my manual!

Right now the Z won't idle it will usually stall...why is that?

Derrick Adams
03-21-2005, 06:52 PM
As far as I know there are only 2 screws on the side of your carb. The idle adjustment screw and the idle air/fuel enrichment screw. The idle screw is the big one directly in the center of the carb. This screw raises and lowers your slide to increase/decrease airflow thru the bore. The small screw, located behind and slightly lower to the idle screw adjusts the mixture of air/fuel to the engine at idle. When I adjust my carbs I start with the mixture screw 1 1/2 turns out and the Idle screw (large one) 1 1/2 turns from slide at rest. (the later can be seen with the rear boot off) Then I go from there, either way.

Theoretically, you should be able to set your idle mixture screw so that the bike starts on the second kick when cold (with the choke on) and first kick when warm (without choke) Also, if it's pouring smoke out the back when the engine is warmed up, (NOT cold) then it may be on the rich side. If the idle tends to hang high for a few seconds and then drop and surge slightly it may be on the lean side.

Correct me if i'm wrong on this guys!

Darius1502
03-21-2005, 06:59 PM
Got it....thanks!