PDA

View Full Version : Please Help!

dooner17
03-19-2005, 09:53 PM
My 3 wheeler has a gas problem and Ive run out of ideas. It runs for about 5 minutes and than dies. I pull it over, take the plug out and it's white. I cleaned the carb twice, checked the flow to the carb tank, and the bowl on the carb is always ful of gas. The main jet is clean and when it runs it runs perfect. I have no idea what it is, valves?

kando
03-19-2005, 09:56 PM
What is your air/fuel mixture screw on carb set at. Sounds like its running too lean, then getting too hot.

kando
03-19-2005, 10:01 PM
Also is this the one that was ran low on oil and vibrating? I don't know how long you ran it low on oil but if it was too long it may need to be honed as no oil would sit on walls and heat up after about 5 minutes. Check fuel mixture then compression.

dooner17
03-19-2005, 11:42 PM
ok, no im not the one who ran low on oil. The air screw isnt where its suppose to be ill go try right now. Is it suppose to be 1 1/8 turn out from the whole way in?

Huffa
03-19-2005, 11:57 PM
Check the very simplest 1st. If your gas cap is not venting proper it will create a vacum which will not leave gas flow eventually. When it begins to die turn cap slightly so air can get in or if tank has very little gas in try it with it off, unless of course you can see that the cap is not funtioning proper by looking at it.

4cylinders
03-20-2005, 12:06 AM
hey, right on, tank vent, had one that dropped a needle.

VABCH350X
03-20-2005, 12:07 AM
Had the exact same problem when I first got my ATC110. The valve tappet clearances were too tight, I adjusted them per the manual, and it has run like a champ ever since.
-Paul

dooner17
03-20-2005, 12:48 AM
Ok I ran it without the gas cap, no different, and the valves were too tight so we adjusted them right on the trail. Still no different. When I brought it home in the truck I use some feeler gages and set the intake at .006 and the exhaust at .008. The plug is always really white with no gas. Right now were trying a diff. carb top. Thanks for the help I'll stay up all night if you guys keep heloing.

Huffa
03-20-2005, 07:29 AM
When it dies, must it cool down before it will restart?

Did you check for spark right after it dies?

dooner17
03-20-2005, 10:25 AM
I dont't think that the problem because sometimes it won't even start when it's cold. When its hot the plug is always dry even if I pull it 10 times wide open. Last night we broke the choke off in the carb so now its flooding.

kando
03-20-2005, 10:56 AM
If you can get fuel with the choke on and its flooding, It probably is in the carb something isn't right in there. Check that your carb float is moving freely on hinge? Better yet soak all carb and pieces in carb cleaner over night. That way you can't miss any small passages. If you can pull it 10 times with throttle wide open and no wet plug, you still have something plugged.

dooner17
03-20-2005, 02:17 PM
Ok well we really cleaned the carb well and soaked it. It ran but we found it was losing spark because the wires from the stator( that I,ve soddered 3 times) keep coming lose. Is it a big job to run wires right from the stator. I have no problem getting the stator off its just the wires are covered in a thick cover.

trikezilla
03-20-2005, 04:19 PM
Does the plug still work after it quits running? The right plug is in there right??

dooner17
03-20-2005, 10:14 PM
fixed it. Re-sauldered wires in stator, however when we were working on the carb we broke the choke off inside and cant get it out. Now it floods. Any ideas?