PDA

View Full Version : Question for the masses

waterfowler
01-25-2003, 11:25 AM
OK guys I know this isn't a trike question but it is trike related. I purchased a wiring harnes and on/off light switch on eBay 3 weeks or so ago. I requested the total because S&H was not listed. It took them 2 weeks to respond and when they did the $18.00 item I purchased had a S&H total of 19.50. This brought the price to 37.50. I sent an email back asking if this was correct and have not heard from them in 10 days. If you look at my feedback it is flawless (perfect). I always pay right away and never have had an issue. What should I do. First I have issue with the S&H, but hey I bought it and will pay it as promissed. I am concerned with actually getting the item. If I can't get an email from them, will I get the item? What would some of you do. I am not a DEADBEAT, and don't want to be known that way, but I'm also not a sucker. This is the first time I have run across this, and I have purchesed 60+ items from eBay.
Thanks in advance,

DixiePlowboy
01-25-2003, 11:39 AM
Mike,
I , too have a flawless feedback rating on ebay, but I am sick of inflated shipping prices! I paid $8.00 shipping for a part that only cost $4 to ship. Do these folks not know that we can figure this out by looking at the postage on the shipping container? :x

Howdy
01-25-2003, 12:07 PM
There is a option of calling them. You can look up their info on ebay if you have a transaction pending with them. I don't have the link handy but I think I could find it if need be.
Howdy

200x Basket
01-25-2003, 12:10 PM
email the guy and tell him that you WILL leave negative feedback if he does not charge you a reasonable shippng rate. i sat $8-9 max. I sell on ebay alot. i think my time and packing is worth a little. I charge a preset shipping rate on every item that is posted in the sale. that way the buyer knows exactly how much his final price will be when he bids.

just so you all know shipping supplies are not cheap and if you sell about a 100 items a month it adds up.

smokinwrench
01-25-2003, 01:49 PM
That is a tough one, I suppose I would pay the outragious price and learn from it. In this case I would hate to send the money and never get my item. I never bid on any thing with out knowing the shipping price. Or I email them to find out what it will be.

BIGKAHUNA
01-25-2003, 02:20 PM
Is there any way you could set an account up with either UPS or FED EX ground and just have the seller pack the item and deliver it to either of those? Maybe some sort of "frieght collect" billing method. This way you KNOW you would only be paying the actually shipping rate and as for the handling part...you could just make and agreement on that end of it. I always look for the shipping rate first before I bid and if its too high I wont bid. I have even emailed the seller and asked why the shipping is so high and then gave an example of a packages I have shipped and what it cost me to ship it. The item I sold I only charged the actually shipping rate and no handling...in the future I am gonna take pics of what I am selling and then box it for shipping and if there is some extra expense for supplies it'll be reflected in either the starting bid or the reserve.

ATCRYDER
01-25-2003, 02:27 PM
do NOT let the punk rape you on shipping. Tell him he can ship it for under $6.00 so youll pay him $7.50. As Howdy says, although i HATE it when people from eBay call me, you can request his contact info.

TimSr
01-25-2003, 02:59 PM
Ebay policy is contact must be made within 3 days, so taking 10 days to answer an email is way outside the realm of reasonable already.
As far as shipping costs, if they clearly post a fixed amount, or a fixed handling fee in their ad, they can ethically charge whatever they want, because you know what it is before you bid, but if they have no notes concerning shipping, other than checking the "buyer pays shipping" box, then anything beyond "actual shipping" is not reasonable, including for packing materials. Many sellers will say actual shipping + $1.00 or something like that to cover materials. As a buyer you do not expect "actual shipping" to mean buying a box for $6, and another $5 for bubble wrap, and $4 to pack it from Mailboxes Etc. If your going to charge for those materials, it should be included in your STATED handling fee.
In your case, its possible that it could cost up to $8 or $9 shipping, depending on where its coming from, and where you are, but he as obviously added excessive handling. Did he state anything about handling fees in his ad? Did you check his feedback, and have other buyers complained of this same problem? If he did not mention it, I would not pay excessive shipping, and if he only added a dollar or two Id probably just grudgingly accept it.
As Howdy said, you can request a sellers contact information, and get a phone number, and speak with him directly, which is how Id handle it. Also you can get some pretty close actual rates from any shipper website.
And yes you can get your own UPS account and issue a call tag, but it costs a few $$ more.

BIGKAHUNA
01-25-2003, 03:05 PM
It took them 2 weeks to respond and when they did the $18.00 item I purchased had a S&H total of 19.50. This brought the price to 37.50. .,

I shipped a jeep door wieghing 53 pounds in a box 3' tall and 4' wide through Fed Ex ground...I shipped it from La to Ca. oh...I forgot to add that this packaged shipped for $29....53 pounds....4'x3'...

BLAZERONE22
01-25-2003, 03:15 PM
Shipping is insane too, To ship a fender from Oregon to Oklahoma was $55.00 bucks, I sold my old fender for my 250r on ebay, packaged it up and took it down to UPS for an exact quote, gave them the address and they told me it would cost $55.24. I freaked I asked them why a guy can use the same box and ship the same thing but further for less, because I used the same box that my new plastic came in and it came from TN. I paid 40 bucks to have it shipped to me. So I emailed the guy who won the fender and told him how much shipping was and he was nice about it. but thought it was nuts, I ended up eating 15 bucks on the whole deal after we worked out a compromise which was not bad because he overbid a little on the front fender. But then to ship the 200x rear fender to a guy in NY they wanted 76.00 so I ended up just telling the guy I would eat my listing fee and leave good feedback. I use the ups website for smaller items but they are off by a couple dollars when I drop packages off. then I end up losing a couple bucks but then it adds up, So I think this last listing I had was my last. I'm tired of the hasstle of being a seller, its fun, but not worth it. I prefer to buy anyway. Just my two cents. :? :?

BLAZERONE22
01-25-2003, 03:24 PM
As far as sellers raping buyers I'm paying ten bucks to have a headlight shipped from 40 miles up the road. the guy won't let me come pick it up either. Leaning my lesson. ask questions first.

TimSr
01-25-2003, 03:46 PM
Hey Blazerone22,
I dont know why it is, but for some reason, shipping in Oregon and WA is insane. When I first ran into it, I was shocked, but you are correct. Im in Ohio and can ship to any other corner of the country a lot cheaper than yours. I have a UPS account, and weigh my own packages, and run their software, so its a lot easier for me to quote actual shipping costs. Im officially and Ebay powerseller. Also, rates went up teh 1st of the year. I also have a Fedex account, and their ground rates differ very little from UPS.

NOS_350X
01-25-2003, 03:55 PM
i got a swingarm bolt off of ebay for $12 (they are 60 form a shop) well he charged me 28 dollars for shipping i needed it bad but his perfect feedback now warns people if the product dosent go for what he wants he will make up for it on shipping

kimmer250r
01-25-2003, 08:36 PM
One thing to look at is whether the auction says shipping or shipping and handling. Most people freak out when they are charged a high rate, but if it is listed as s/h then they are charging you for the time it takes them to box it up too. Personally I think it is bs but its up to them. It's not too hard to throw a part in a box and tape it up. If they say just shipping, then they are ripping you off.

ATCnut
01-25-2003, 08:50 PM
The shipping and handling racket on ebay is obsene. I never bid on anything untill I know what it will be. If it is not posted on the auction, then I ask the seller before bidding. You are kinda stuck when you agree to pay "actual shipping and handling" to paying whatever the seller wants, because he sets the price for handling. If it says says you pay "actual shipping" I argue that you only have to pay what the seller pays to the shipping company.

Just remember ebay is "BUYER BEWARE"

200x Basket
01-25-2003, 10:32 PM
then they are charging you for the time it takes them to box it up too. Personally I think it is bs but its up to them. It's not too hard to throw a part in a box and tape it up. If they say just shipping, then they are ripping you off.

then you have never spent 6 hours boxing stuff and loaded the bed of your truck twice in one day and spent 2 hours at the post office (each load). i make about $2-3 on a package. if it is not woth my time then you can come pick it up. like i said though i POST the shipping rate in all of my sales. the bidder knows just how much it will be. i did have one asshoel who said it was to much and left me negative feedback after he asked me if i would lower it and i told him no. :rolleyes: does not really bother me. i have sold about 100 items in the last two weeks and i have no problem getting bidders. most of my sales start at $1 so the buyers can determine the price of an item.

waterfowler
01-26-2003, 12:21 AM
I have read through all the posts and will give some more info. The actual statement on ebay for shipping was "Buyer pays shipping costs". I copied and pasted that statement directly from ebay. I always like when people state the S&H with their auction. Hey Time is Money and I can appreciate that. I don't begrudge someone wanting a few or maybe even $5 for packaging and shipping things. However on the other side, this is an auction, and buy listing on ebay you know for the most part that you will be shipping. Just keep it reasonable is all I ask. But 2 weeks to respond and then with that crap. I have never had to leave anyone negative and hate to do it, but I also have a responsibility to warn other "good" ebayers. I will try to contact them once more and thats it! My guess is that they decided NOT to sell it, or sold it locally and blew me off. I would rather buy from you trike guys, most of you are great to deal with. I say most cause I've seen a few posts concerning issues, but you will always have the scammers in the world.
I believe my word is my bond, if you don't have that what do you have?
Thanks guys,