PDA

View Full Version : Air Cooler R tranny oil

350x'inNY
03-19-2005, 03:49 PM
Well, I changed out the tranny oil in my 82R prior to doing the speedo/headlight work last night. I bought the oil awhile back... everything else on the trike was awesome, and I haven't put much ride time on it since I bought it with a fresh rebuild, but figured I'd change it anyhow.

I picked up some HONDA HP Tranny Fluid from the dealer that said it was specially formulated for all CR transmissions. Said it was for all CR and Fourtrax 250R's. On the back it said it's for all Honda 2-stroke ATV and Dirt bikes. It said it was a W70 or W80 or something... So I thought it would be golden to put in the 82R....

When I look in the Owner's manual for the 82 250R, it says to use Honda 4-stroke oil or equivalent? Gave the different viscositys at different temp graph... said SE-SF quality 10W30?

I had already drained the other oil out (which looked good... no surprise, the previous owner was very nice to this trike!)... so I put the Honda HP Trany oil in.

What do you run for tranny oil in your air-cooled R's?

Bruce

Trikeaholic
03-19-2005, 03:52 PM
10w-30 from wally mart! 79 cents a quart straight CASH

83185s
03-19-2005, 04:03 PM
lol holic..thats what i put in my 185,200x,and 200m!! well the 200x is getting the bel-ray..only cause i want it to last longer..lol

hrc85250r
03-19-2005, 05:37 PM
i use amsoil tranny oil.or some other high-end brand name, i like to keep my high-dollar R tranny in tip-top shape....

RideRed250R
03-19-2005, 08:09 PM
nah nah nah get the good stuff, use the cr blend from honda its i think 5 bucks and one does the job. its red and makes ** gear mox shift SO SMOOTTTHHH. i threw some in my 83R cause the clutch pull was hard and the shifter wasnt to stiff but not smooth like my Othe rair that i sold. so i put this stuff in it and man clutch pulls like a new trx450R and the shifter finds neutral so easliy. i would recommend that stuff
adam

350x'inNY
03-19-2005, 08:11 PM
That's what I put in my R... I'll have to take it for a spin! :D

RideRed250R
03-19-2005, 08:17 PM
the reason it give different oil propertys in the manaul and all that good stuff is cause back when it was written that was the best oil out there. thats y the book also says use 20:1 for ** oil mixture, i use the cr blend sythetic oil for my oil mixture it mixes 4 gallons to 32:1 and is 100% sythetic its the same motor oil used in McGraths bike right now and is hgihly recomended by honda for all 2 stroke motors i would also us there HP4 motoroil for the 350X or bigger engines i use it for my 185s but i think its over kill they can take the Castrol GPX high mileage.
adam

Darius1502
03-19-2005, 08:40 PM
Hey 350x'in NY...

Quick question...sorry I cant answer you question but I was wondering:

Is the 350x faster than the 82 R or vice versa.

I love those first generation R's....drooled over the pages of Dirt Wheels in late 82...

Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Good work on the speedo!

RideRed250R
03-20-2005, 12:31 AM
i believe there like dead even, i do know the first gens were a handful to control so if the 350x won it would be the stablity. thats my 2 cents
adam

resto250r
03-20-2005, 02:04 AM
Well, I changed out the tranny oil in my 82R prior to doing the speedo/headlight work last night. I bought the oil awhile back... everything else on the trike was awesome, and I haven't put much ride time on it since I bought it with a fresh rebuild, but figured I'd change it anyhow.

I picked up some HONDA HP Tranny Fluid from the dealer that said it was specially formulated for all CR transmissions. Said it was for all CR and Fourtrax 250R's. On the back it said it's for all Honda 2-stroke ATV and Dirt bikes. It said it was a W70 or W80 or something... So I thought it would be golden to put in the 82R....

When I look in the Owner's manual for the 82 250R, it says to use Honda 4-stroke oil or equivalent? Gave the different viscositys at different temp graph... said SE-SF quality 10W30?

I had already drained the other oil out (which looked good... no surprise, the previous owner was very nice to this trike!)... so I put the Honda HP Trany oil in.

What do you run for tranny oil in your air-cooled R's?

Bruce

The manual says 10w-40 so thats what I run but I use bel-ray 10w-40. Seems to work great for mine.