PDA

View Full Version : Got some Progressive springs for my SX

mad_max
03-15-2005, 11:25 PM
I got some Progressive springs for my SX.

Heres what they look like...notice they are wound tighter/closer on one end. http://www.terraworld.net/mikemax/prog.jpg

Heres how they compare to the stock 2 piece spring (on the right). http://www.terraworld.net/mikemax/stk%20vs%20prog.jpg

I wont get to give them a good workout for awhile yet but from just sitting on the trike and working the front suspension you can tell the difference after the first couple of inches of travel. They are definitely stiffer than my previous setup as they become compressed. My previous setup was the stock springs with a 1" spacer between the upper and lower spring. I dont have a spacer in the Progressives.

patblkwell
03-15-2005, 11:30 PM
Where did you get those springs? Are they a direct replacement of the stock ones? I am about to redo my front shocks on my 250es. Do they make the progressive springs for the 250es? I like to have as high of a ride height as possible, maybe stiffer springs would give me that on the big red...

ATCWRENCH
03-15-2005, 11:35 PM
you can get progressive rate springs for about anything from bike bandit.com the average price that i have seen them for is about 65-75 dollars and they are very very worth the cash. i have a set in my 200x and they will take about anything. of course if you gonna put new springs in the forks it wouldnt hurt to replace the seals and wipers while the forks are torn down. its also amazing what new fluid will do for a set of forks.

Dirtcrasher
03-15-2005, 11:55 PM
I beggining to think you actually love your SX as much as I do!

mad_max
03-15-2005, 11:55 PM
Where did you get those springs? Are they a direct replacement of the stock ones? I am about to redo my front shocks on my 250es. Do they make the progressive springs for the 250es? I like to have as high of a ride height as possible, maybe stiffer springs would give me that on the big red...

Sorry Pat, I forgot to mention that my SX has a 200X front end. I dont know for sure if progressive springs are available for 250ES but I'm guessing probably not.

Wrench, put new seals and fluid in when the X front end was put on the SX.
Thanks

mad_max
03-15-2005, 11:58 PM
I beggining to think you actually love your SX as much as I do!

Is it THAT obvious?

I want an SX thats done the way it should've been done in the first place.. more like a 200X with electric start, shaft drive and reverse.

Yes I love the SX (even ones that are stock) :beer

pomona51
03-16-2005, 01:08 AM
Madmax that is really wierd because I did the exact same thing today. Mine is all ready to go. They make a huge difference and the springs are gonna work great. It took me about an hour to do the whole exchange. I also put on new seals which was a pain in my arss. I think my old springs were just worn out and had no life left in them. When I first put on my front end they were very compressable, when I sat on the bike they would compress an inch or so. Now when I set down it normal. They also make the front end a little stiffer which is good for me because I am a big 19 year old ( 6ft at 215). I ordered a new tire form a local dealer, it is called a cheng shing. It cost me $50 so when I finally get it put on my bike will be set!!!

LaDano
03-16-2005, 03:37 AM
When I fnish my 200x, I think I'm going to trade it for a 250sx. Your making me jealous.

mad_max
03-26-2005, 02:10 AM
UPDATE: I got to do a little riding today... the progressives do pretty much what their name implies, they get progressively stiffer as they are compressed. Heres a video of me jumping with the stock 200x front springs...
http://www.terraworld.net/mikemax/Movie1.wmv

Here it is with the progressives
http://www.terraworld.net/mikemax/jump w prog.wmv

You can see some differences if you look close.

IMHO they do help on the biggger whoops, but they dont make the same impression on me as the Works rear shock does. I'd like to see custom front springs based on weight, riding style and terrain.

pomona51
03-26-2005, 11:42 AM
Love the viedos Madmax. There looks to be a big difference in the springs just by the viedo. I love mine so far.