PDA

View Full Version : Blue Smoke solved!

dblshockpower
03-15-2005, 05:57 PM
This 200 engine ran perfect when I bought it this year..it had a Cobra exhaust that I replaced with a new OEM Honda, that's when it started smoking like crazy for a minute or so just after I fired it up...smoked like that every time, so yesterday I'm wrenching and decided to really torque down the exhaust header nuts (afraid of breaking them before) and WHALA! no more smoke..none!..problem fixed!

Now, WTF was that?

Huffa
03-15-2005, 07:05 PM
You might of had to tighten them down a bit more then usual if you did not put a brand new copper sealing washer in before installing header pipe. Once compressed you should use a new one but I admit I don't always do it either.

Gets so carboned up in there some might not even know there is one.

LaDano
03-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Yea, they get compressed so much then carbon on top of it, sometimes its hard to tell.

dblshockpower
03-15-2005, 09:45 PM
No, I used the gasket, but why would it cause the motor to smoke if it was loose? I couldn't say if it was oil because I almost suspect fuel was collecting in the header pipe and after I fired it up and things got hot the fuel blew..hell it was even spewing blue smoke out of the muffler gasket...it's a miracle that stopped...yesterday I was also cleaning the valve cover and de-compression lever with a toothbrush and kerosene...just wondering why it stopped.

dblshockpower
03-31-2005, 01:34 PM
Darn smoke is back.... it starts about 6sec. after it's started..I gotta believe it's fuel or carb issues....I shut the petcock down now and will open and re-start tomorrow....could fuel be leaking into the head? After it sat 36hrs I pulled the plug and it's very very WET with fuel..How am I going to pin the cause of this smoke thing down?

crackshot
03-31-2005, 01:55 PM
sounds like jet problems

dblshockpower
03-31-2005, 06:06 PM
I checked the needle jet and its on the third groove as it should be.

I just put on a oem muffler, then the smoke started, and the guy i bought it from had a cobra exhaust on...what would he have changed to accommodate the Cobra?

RCGUY
03-31-2005, 11:29 PM
put the cobra back on in see if it stops smoking and if it dose then you need to rejet

83185s
04-01-2005, 12:29 AM
well..if its blue smoke thats a oil problem aint it?? just my opinion but id check the valves and rings...but if you think it could be a carb problem try moving that needle clip up one postion..2nd from top...without the bigger opening on the exhaust it could be building up to much gas...also..that pipe you bought was a brand new in the package wasnt it?? if not whoever you had gotten it from..like ebay or something..the person could have had an oil problem and had oil in that exhaust and it could just be burning off..you never know..IMO

grundlegrabber
04-01-2005, 08:27 AM
Blue smoke is definitely oil smoke. Oil burning on startup that goes away after a few minutes usually means bad valve stem seals.

cliff2302
04-01-2005, 01:32 PM
If the guy jetted it after he put on the Cobra, he would have put in bigger jets to richen it up. When you put the stock muffler back on, you decresed the flow so the jets in it is now too rich, causeing your blue smoke and wet plug. Either put the cobra back on or lean it out a little. Do a little experimenting and let us know how it works out.

dblshockpower
04-01-2005, 02:13 PM
I have the cobra on ebay w/bids right now, so I can't put it back on...the main needle is on the 3rd groove and I'm well below 5k ft. so moving it up isn't a long term solution..and the smoke is probably more white/gray than blue...is there another way to lean the mix? is a carb rebuild too tricky for a below average mechanic with snap-ons like me? who sells the best rebuild kits?

83185s
04-01-2005, 05:35 PM
buy one from moose for 20 bucks and no it aint hard at all..lol.take off the carb with a 10mm open end wrench and take the bowl off...phillips screwdriver...once you get that done its pretty self explanitory..hell the whole thing is pretty self explanitory..lol..just take it apart..spray it off with carb cleaner and get an air compresser hose and blow it all off..then put it back together..simple