PDA

View Full Version : 83/84 R front fork problem...please look/help me out lol

trikezilla
03-14-2005, 09:39 PM
hey....
Well my obsession with perfecting things has come back to bite me :mad:

I was looking at the front rotor on the 83R and i noticed the guy i bought her from had it backwards...so, i took it off. That went ok, but when i went to thread the axle (its a part of the hub assembly) back into the fork (it screws into the right fork if you are sitting on it) i could not get it to go...i looked at the threads inside the hole on the fork and you guessed it: they are shot (i still hate the fact that honda used aluminum threads to hold a steel axle!!!!! :rolleyes: ).

here is my question should i just use a heli coil or should i get a "new" one...what would a used front fork cost?? if you have one let me know!! personally i think its better to get a used fork, but iono

o yeah, why did honda use a prolink rear suspension and showa on the front?? ALSO: the 83/84 fork tubes are interchangeable right??

Lots_Of_Nothing
03-14-2005, 10:56 PM
83/84 forks will interchange.. I have a crapload of parts, Let me dig out that side leg and get back to you.

deathman53
03-14-2005, 11:02 PM
I helicoled my 85 atc 250r forks, and it is holding still, 1 1/2 later and lots of abuse to them. The helicoi kit was $60, but it worked. I beleive the thread is 14mm 1.5 pitch

Dirtcrasher
03-14-2005, 11:06 PM
With aluminum if the threads as wiped out, you can get away with just a helicoil tap and the coil - about 30$. The kits are ideal and great to have but the cost gets up there with larger sizes. Helicoils hold better than original.

Milkman
03-15-2005, 01:54 AM
i had the same problem on my 83r waht i did was screwed it on backwards..flipped the leg over screwed her on then right back off..when i tried it again the right way it worked fine??dont know why..but it worked

BLAZERONE22
03-15-2005, 03:12 AM
I have that slider out in the shop, pm me your addy and I'll mail it to you.

trikezilla
03-15-2005, 09:01 PM
thanks to you all!!!
Lots of Nothing.....get back whenever you can and thanks for looking. BTW what does it say on the bottom of your signature?? thats german right??