PDA

View Full Version : Patch'em up !

bigredhead
03-14-2005, 11:47 AM
Well.. spent the greater part of yesterday working on the SX.

My pipe was full of some knarly holes, busted up at the seames, the spark arrestor was loose and dangling around in there making a racket, it would backfire on downshifting ( only front brakes at this time, so i slow down using the gears ) and .. .... .. ...

So. after some major cursing, i got it off without damage to the headpipe ( phew.. i cringed a few times, but thank god i was successfull )

We cut the end part off, and were able to weld the arrestor ( i don't know if this is the proper name for it, but the part that connects to the very back end of the pipe, with little holes in the end, looks like a misile !! LOL ) so yeah. we welded it to the tip of the pipe. and welded the whole thing back together.

Welded another patch where the 2 bolts usually come out to permit you to clean the screen... that was rotted completely, i snapped it off with my fingers !!!!!!!! :eek:

And then welded a ring all around the expansion chamber about 2 inches wide.

Soooo.. i'm sure i added about 2 to 5 lbs of metal to my pipe, but it's pretty air tight. WAY quieter, and the outcome is that

- More torque at low RPM, but a bit less on top.
- Less noise for night time riding
- No more backfire when i gear down.
- Looks much better now that it's painted black instead of rust and hanging metal.

I plan spending the cash for a nice new one ( considering a Supertrapp if i can find one that fits ! , please PM me if you got one for sale !! ) but this was a cheap way out for now ! and works just fine ! :Bounce