PDA

View Full Version : trailer project..

1shot
03-12-2005, 10:41 PM
I got bored today and started making a trailer to pull behind my 250es for hunting (hauling game out) and firewood gathering and such. I used an old Honda 90 frame I had bought as a parts bike and pretty much used up rebuilding 2 110's.
I used the rear hald of the frame (& axle) along with some steel I had already. A little welding, bolting and rigging and I have it partially done. I still have side rails to install (same material as the bed) they will be on the sides, and front with a drop down rear gate.
The trailer has the ground clearance I wanted and pulls really sweet behind either "Red".
I felt bad somewhat about cutting up the frame but it pretty much served it's purpose by keeping the other 2 110's alive.

Oh yeah, It will be painted "Honda Red" when it's finished to match my 250es and hopefully I can get some Honda decals to spiff it up.

chris200x
03-12-2005, 10:48 PM
That's a nifty little hauler ya got there. Gonna look pretty good once she's painted. Where's the venision?

Derrick Adams
03-12-2005, 10:50 PM
Awesome!!!

1shot
03-13-2005, 01:22 AM
Jeswinehart,

I would be happy to answer any questions I can. Keep in mind I AM NO expert welder and you probably already know more than I about that subject.
I used a small 70 AMP arc welder I bought at WAL-MART. It is VERY limited on what ya can do with it but it is better than nothing and if you know how to weld and are patient it will work. It only penetrates around 3/16th of an inch so you can't weld very heavy steel with it. Something like rhis you dont need to use 1/2" steel.
The whole thing weighs about 50 lbs. (an estimate) and the tongue weight is only about 10-15 pounds or so. The weight is pretty well centered over the axle and is SUPER easy to pull around. When unhooked you can pull it around with one hand EASILY, My 12 yr old girl was pulling it around one handed. It looks alittle rough right now in the unfinished state but as far as from an engineering standpoint I couldnt have been more happy how it turned out.
If I had access to a MIG (and knew how to use it :wondering ) I could have done some prettier welds but it's more than functional.

My tool list on this job consisted of:
70 AMP arc welder
Makita angle head grinder
Drill & 1/2" bit
circular saw w/ steel cut-off disc (cut the frame with it)

(oh yeah, before starting I tore down the axle assembly and installed new bearings and seals. )

The only thing I'm not really sure about is what kind of weight it would handle. My steel and welds are up to par, I was wondering what kind of weight the 90 frame and axle would handle. I reckon it should do 1,000 lbs. probably without any trouble. Although the most I would have on it would be 500-800 so I should be fine. If anyone knows the weight limits on a 90 rear end or your best guess, feel free to give me a shout

Mike

mbubbac
03-13-2005, 01:27 AM
i would say a solid 800 lbs cuz i had a good 500lbs sitting on my atc 70 and didnt bend it or anything, so it should be fine

vartiak15
03-13-2005, 11:16 AM
how much does it weigh? thats the ?

1shot
03-13-2005, 11:40 AM
The trailer also has a tilt bed so you can dump it if you want to. On the front of the bed area on the part that's orange right now is a 1/2" pin you pull that and the whole bed flips up....

ATCnut
03-13-2005, 08:57 PM
My brother built a trailer for behiend his 350X to bring firewood back from the beach in Oregon. The amount of weight we can put on the trailer is not limited by the strength of the trailer, but by the size of the three dunes that have to be crossed on the way back to camp, I am usually way to busy spotting for him on the dunes to take any pics there.