PDA

View Full Version : front tires - detailed opinons please

Huffa
03-12-2005, 10:07 AM
For a Yamaha 225 - 22X11x8

I am looking for a true steering tire and don't want a rear traction tire on the front. What I have in mind so far are the Kenda Max and the reason is because it is about the only one that comes in my size! :mad:

It's dissapointing, I see many I like but not in my size :cry:

I'm just checking them out in my new Rocky Mountain catalog and am bummed that we are all but forgotten concerning front tires. (at least in my size).

Cheers at least to the Kenda MAX for having my size.

What others are available? I wouldn't mind having a skinner profile too then the stock ballon job that it on it. You know how that goes as 2 tires the same size can be drasticly different in witdh and height.

Real concerned with punture resistance too.

Thank you so much!

-Huffa

chris200x
03-12-2005, 10:32 AM
I'm lookin through the new Dennis Kirk catalog and it seems to me that the only style in that size that could be used for the front is your general purpose knobbie. Those kenda max ones look about the best. There is also a turf tamer in a v-shaped directional pattern available in that size. Seems like most are only 2 ply. How would you go about using a skinner tire and rim...might have to make up some spacers or something?

Huffa
03-12-2005, 10:58 AM
I'm lookin through the new Dennis Kirk catalog and it seems to me that the only style in that size that could be used for the front is your general purpose knobbie. Those kenda max ones look about the best. There is also a turf tamer in a v-shaped directional pattern available in that size. Seems like most are only 2 ply. How would you go about using a skinner tire and rim...might have to make up some spacers or something?

I want the same size rim & tire that's on it. All I'm saying is that some tires have an inch or so skinnier profile even though they are marked the same size. I like alot of steering response and with a wide tire you don't get that. Skinnier = lighter weight and more lbs per inch being put on the tread surface. Wider tires have their place for sure too but I got to give a skinnier profile the nod for my taste.

Looks wise they look a lot better too.

83185s
03-12-2005, 12:11 PM
well..for what trailprotrailpro wanting i cant find anything in any of my 6 catalogs new and old dennis kirk chaparral ronnies and a few others..all i find that trailprotrailpro wanting (the type of tire) is that kenda max one..id go with it..it looks pretty good..

350x'inNY
03-12-2005, 12:39 PM
I'd use just a general knobbie. That's what was on my 225DX and what I bought for my 82R. I'll have to check who the manufacturers are. I'm in the midst of getting the 225DX to run, so I just replaced the front end with an old spare one I had laying around. It's one of the original front tires, but the tread is about 50%. I have another OEM front tire/rim with about the same tread too. I'll write down manufactures, type, and tire sizes for ya, how bout that? :D

Bruce

seadoo650
03-12-2005, 12:56 PM
I just got my front tire through Iron Pony. They carry just about every brand I've seen. Can't remember what brand mine is at the moment but it's a nice tire. Good steering traction.

Huffa
03-12-2005, 01:04 PM
Thanks so far for all the info........ole buddies of mine :D

Hey 350X. Why don't you send me or post a bunch of pic's of the 225 or did you already somewhere?

let me know and I'll pm you my email address although I think I did already, didn't I?

Derrick Adams
03-12-2005, 01:15 PM
I just got my front tire through Iron Pony. They carry just about every brand I've seen. Can't remember what brand mine is at the moment but it's a nice tire. Good steering traction.

You have a Carlisle Trail Wolf, and yes they work excellent.

seadoo650
03-12-2005, 01:19 PM
Thanks derrick. I thought they were carlisle but I did'nt know what type. I did have to order them but they got there in about three days.

83185s
03-12-2005, 02:48 PM
ihave carlisle trail pro's on the back and my original knobbie that somehow hasnt dry rotted or leaked air...well a really really slow leak in it but not really noticeable...and its about due for a change...its about 35% prolly less..

hrc85250r
03-12-2005, 05:09 PM
i have a kenda front max and it kicks ass....i usually run somewhat low air pressure to increase the contact patch....i pump it back up when i ride in the sand though...they last forever too, last riding season i had to ride quite a bit of road by my house to get to the riding places and there is almost no wear whatsoever to the tire....

Huffa
03-12-2005, 06:55 PM
i have a kenda front max and it kicks ass....i usually run somewhat low air pressure to increase the contact patch....i pump it back up when i ride in the sand though...they last forever too, last riding season i had to ride quite a bit of road by my house to get to the riding places and there is almost no wear whatsoever to the tire....

OK.........thats great to know and thank you. Now, how does it compare proflie wise with same size of other fronts you had? What ply are they?

edog
03-12-2005, 07:10 PM
Good luck finding a tire thats narrower on the front.Having the same tire on the front as the backs work very well.I think you will have a harder time finding a narrower tire.The perfect tire would be a 24 9 8.That would be a nice tire for the front of the tri moto.

Huffa
03-12-2005, 11:08 PM
Good luck finding a tire thats narrower on the front.Having the same tire on the front as the backs work very well.I think you will have a harder time finding a narrower tire.The perfect tire would be a 24 9 8.That would be a nice tire for the front of the tri moto.

Yea, it probably does but you don't know how much better a narrow one would be until you tried it.

A 24 would be too tall. More then likely (just a guess) it would scuff the fender when bottomed out.

In all honesty, narrow or wide, there is no perfect tire for all conditions as far as I'm concerned.

Meat-BoX
03-12-2005, 11:26 PM
Get the Kenda Front Max. I got one for my Tecate and I love it. Its a great tire, strong and looks good too.

Look at mine. Its a good Tire for a good Price :beer

Huffa
03-13-2005, 01:25 AM
']Get the Kenda Front Max. I got one for my Tecate and I love it. Its a great tire, strong and looks good too.

Look at mine. Its a good Tire for a good Price :beer

I almost have to as there is no other choice. Thats the only true steering tire in my size! Odd that there isn't any angular tread on them what so ever but then again I'm no tire tread expert either :D

hrc85250r
03-13-2005, 03:25 AM
trust me, the front max is probably going to be the best choice...there arent many choices, but even if there is a better tire, it cant get much better....great wear, traction, looks and price....idk how much better you could get....

Huffa
03-13-2005, 08:37 AM
OK, I'm sold on it. Now to find out where to get it the absoulte cheapest. The shippings kills ya. Some wanted almost 20 buckaroonies to ship it! Guess with the price of gas so high everything including shipping has gone up?

I'm just wondering if possibly tires at the right dealer might be cheaper then mail order since they do a lot of buissness with a particular supplier?

Might be best I order the rears with it too. Thats a whole different ball game though. I go back and fourth clicking on sites wondering which tire to get.

chris200x
03-13-2005, 08:49 AM
Why don't you try the couple of dealers near your house. The place I go isn't a dealership. They repair any make of motorcycle and can pretty much get any part I need. OEM or aftermarket. There prices I think are very good and you don't have to pay the shipping charges. I paid $45 for my front tire from them and the Holeshots on the back were like $70 a peice. I've spent so much time and money over there he even knocked $20 off a helmet I bought! If you have an idea of what you want I can go over and get you a price if you want.

Wickedfinger
03-13-2005, 12:17 PM
What I have in mind so far are the Kenda Max and the reason is because it is about the only one that comes in my size! As you stated before, you wanted a good directional tire - thats a good one.