PDA

View Full Version : 1985 200X Question

ROBTHEROD
03-12-2005, 01:31 AM
Ok I rebuilt my 200x and when I went to start it for the first time it started on the forth kick and ran at idle for about 20 minutes and then died and it was very hard to kick start. So I let it cool down and took the valve tappet covers off to see if there was any oil going to the cam. Well their wasn't any.
So I rebuilt the oil pump and blew air threw all the oil passages and started to put it all back together. Just before putting the cam cover back on I notice
that on the head right next to the cam bearing there was a rubber plug in a oil passage that goes to the side of the cam bearing. So I took it out and finished putting the motor back together. When I started it this time oil was shooting out of the tappet area and the motor is running at idle just fine. I look at another head that I had to see if it had a plug and it did. My question is was I supposed to leave the oil passage plug in there or take it out?

Thanks for any info
Robert

short4stuff
03-12-2005, 01:45 AM
yeha I had that too .. i took it out .. I thought it was a chunk of silicon :s ...
Anyone know ..

ric
03-12-2005, 01:48 AM
Robert

Sounds to me like it might be some sort of oil restrictor, especially since you said the other head had the same thing in it. I just looked at my 200x parts manual but cant seem to figure out what part it is in question, could be number 5 in the diagram which is called "Rubber, Oil Seal" not much of a clue there but I hope this diagram might help in some way.

Best of luck mate!!

http://www.atcheaven.com/Images/200xHead.gif

Muddy200x
03-12-2005, 08:06 AM
I bought a head for my project engine (xr-200x). I took it to work with me so I could port it out. A friend of mine at work who has built many 200x engines took a look at the head and the first thing he said was "Whatever you do don't loose that little plug, you need that. It helps balance the amount of oil that flows through the top end. without it, it will overheat" I said OK and left it at that. He knows the engine very well so I listen when he gives advise.
I know this is second hand information, But I would think that Honda wouldn't have plugged it without reason. I'd put it back.

Howdy
03-12-2005, 09:28 AM
If you rebuilt the top end you might have plugged the oil passage to the head. The 2 most critical spots are the base of the cylinder, and the little hole on the right side cover ( clutch cover ). The thing that most people do is to use silicon on the 2 gaskets on these areas. While you can use silicon on the gaskets, you will plug the oil passage up is you use too much. I use a product called "Hi-Tac". I have never plugged a oil passage since I switched ( 10-12 years ago ), and I have done well over 50 motors.
That black plug in the top of the head is a requirement. Damage can happen without it.
Howdy

Howdy

short4stuff
03-12-2005, 01:48 PM
That black plug in the top of the head is a requirement. Damage can happen without it.
Howdy

Howdy

huh?... that makes no sense to me . .cause how else does the oil get up there other than that one hole?

Dirtcrasher
03-12-2005, 03:34 PM
I thought some models had the oil actually run up one of the head/cylinder studs??. Not sure though as my SX has an outside delivery pipe.

90nut
03-12-2005, 11:40 PM
I know for a fact that the rubber plug you are speaking of stays in the hole. I have mine in there and while it was running I had the rocker arm covers off and there is plenty of oil flow up there. If you install the plug and you don't get any oil in your top end you have another problem, one of you oil passages would be clogged.

ROBTHEROD
03-13-2005, 03:38 AM
It seams to me that the oil would get to the cam bearing alot better if you leave the rubber plug out?

ROBTHEROD
03-13-2005, 03:41 AM
Well if something happends to my motor I will post it cause I am going to leave it the way it is.
Thanks to all for the info.
Robert

samster143
03-13-2005, 05:52 AM
The plug directs the oil into the cam bushing and through the cam lobes...look at the head and you will see what that plug does, it makes the oil shoot out the little hole at the right side cam bushing.

HaggLE
03-13-2005, 08:39 AM
The hole where the plug goes is there because of the manufacturing process.
They have to drill the hole somehow...
There is also a hole (as mentioned) that redirects the oil to the cam bearing. Without this plug the oil doesnt end up going through that hole and the bearing isnt getting full oil supply. I would really suggest pulling down the engine and replacing it, Mr Honda isnt a silly man, he put it there for a reason.

dizasterzrfun69
03-13-2005, 11:44 PM
I thought some models had the oil actually run up one of the head/cylinder studs??. Not sure though as my SX has an outside delivery pipe.

on the '85 200x, the oil DOES run up the studs. I watched howdy 2 weeks ago totally tear my engine apart and thats one thing he told me and i remembered. :D

350x'inNY
03-14-2005, 12:02 AM
Not sure how the line hooks up to the oil pump in a 200X, but my 350X ran all of Trikefest w/o oil to the valves cause a bushing was missing in the oil line down by the oil pump. Again, the 350X is an external line system, but it was internal where I was missing the bushing. Luckily, a friend (banned and nameless) gave me another rocker box and a new cam out of a crate motor. Personally, I think it was missing since I bought it, but who knows! I didn't have much time on it before I took it to Trikefest. This year... the Showgirl and the 82R will be heading to Indiana! :beer

Bruce