PDA

View Full Version : 1985 YamahaTri Z

honda200
03-11-2005, 09:43 PM
Its at my work, needs some help, but complete, hopefully getting it tommorow for 350 plus my snowmobile!!

stuff it needs:

-kick start gear (its there, but is missing teeth)
-top end rebore and piston (but it does run, just kinda low compression)
-the right side foot peg needs to be put back on, the bolts stripped out, so i have to tap out new bolt holes
-when i have the motor out, i will be replacing crank bearings as well, just for my own peice of mind
-air box boot (to carb)
-it should have new rear fenders, since the ones on it have 2 small cracks (1 to 1.5 inchs each) and are kinda dirty and all, but i think i will just put new decals on and clean them up best i can
-shift shaft is a little stripped
other then that, needs nothin else, it just came in yesterday, askin price is 500 bucks before it gets carded, when it gets carded, going for 750 or 800 (not available to public before its carded, only to employees)

if i get it home tommorow, then i will take it for a small spin around the drive way, then park it in the shop until i finish my truck, when my truck is on the road (march 30) i will have gathered enough parts to start puttin the beast together, i will also send the cylinder out to get bored (maybe .30 over, not sure yet) and a new wiesco piston

I do NOT want this bike to look stock, I want to take the head lights out of it, and the head light gaurd and add a number plate, I also want to take the stock pipe off it, add a FMF onto it, keep the silencer thats on it, and then have the Tri Z rear decals, and numbers on the shrouds and number plate

It has dirt dawgs on the back and a stock dunlop on the front, rear rims are not stock, they are 8 inch steels, so i might grab some 8 inch golds or alluminum at work (just cheapie used ones) and use the dirt dawgs till they are wore, then put MXRs on the back

If i get it tommorow, i will take some pics!!

Curtis

honda200
03-11-2005, 10:26 PM
ok, i been thinkin bout this bike for the last 34 minutes, and i can just picture it sittin in my garage, waiting for me to take the top end off and send it out to get re bored and a new piston in it, and ohh man, it just maes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, lol

I am definetly going to pipe it, and orginally i was going to go with fatty, but what other options do I have? i want bottem and mid range, and slight top end, maybe gnarly? or is it SST??

i dont wat to go anything bu FMF, just because of cost, but if there is a cheaper aftermarket pipe that will give me what i want, i will definetly concider it

Curtis

twgranger
03-11-2005, 10:47 PM
Good luck on the FMF pipe.

Dammit!
03-11-2005, 11:06 PM
I could be wrong but I thought DG was the only available option for a Z. Start sniffing around ebay if you want something else.

CHAINSAW
03-12-2005, 12:20 AM
Good luck on the FMF pipe.
I second that.. you come across one, take a picture, because Ive never seen one.

370banshee
03-12-2005, 04:25 PM
yeah i'm still dreaming of a LRD for my Z

mike from long island
03-12-2005, 09:04 PM
i bought an 85 1/2 triz a few years back. and somebody had found an FMF that bolted right up to the stock head pipe. i never found out which bike he got the silencer from. wish i had i could buy a few and make a killing on ebay.these are the exhausts that i have had or seen for a tri z.

i have the LRD on my Z now,

sold the Phase Five to someone in the UK sorry guys, no one here in the states wanted to spend $150 bucks for it so the guy in the UK got it.

Cobra
Answer
DG of course.

i saw a whites brother exhaust at trikefest on a tri-z conversion to say the least too.

seen the basssini on ebay that i think triztunes got??
thats about all i can remember anyone else know of tri-z exhausts?

honda200
03-12-2005, 09:40 PM
Well, I got it today, 400 plus the trade for my sled, i had to drill and tap the right side foot peg, the 2 bolts stripped out, it does run, man its an awesome machine!!

I had a set of Powermadd hand guards in red and black, they were off my warrior, since they aint on it anymore, i stuck them on tonight!!!

what do you think??

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/curtis_guitars/Tri%20Z/TriZ3.jpg

just unloaded it in this pic ^ ^ ^

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/curtis_guitars/Tri%20Z/TriZ5.jpg

fixed peg, hand guards, its actually been washed, LOL ^ ^ ^

The Rest of the Pictures (http://photobucket.com/albums/v314/curtis_guitars/Tri%20Z/)

Curtis

Dammit!
03-12-2005, 09:44 PM
That's either a 1986 Z or a 1985 doing a pretty good impression. Nice find either way.

honda200
03-12-2005, 09:45 PM
it says 1985 on the vin sticker

maybe 1985 and a half???

Curtis

Dammit!
03-12-2005, 09:47 PM
I don't know man but it sure as hell looks like an '86 to me. Is it a 6 speed or 5?

dirtface
03-12-2005, 09:48 PM
Next time your out riding around, count how many gears it has. If it has six it has the '86 tranny.

honda200
03-12-2005, 09:50 PM
not sure, havent had it that far yet lol

the end where the shifter goes on is slightly stripped, so i took off the shifter pedal, and cut in new splines with a hack saw, jammed it back on and tightened it really well, its just has to last until i get a new shifter (the shaft aint stripped, its the shifter itself)

It will be a while before i am riding it, it has to get the top end done, so i will be sending it out in 2 weeks to get a bore job, and a new wiesco piston, then i will break it in and such

Curtis

Derrick Adams
03-12-2005, 09:54 PM
It might say 85, but it's an 86. Rad. overflow is in the right place, plastic is the right colors, also has the short front tire. Nice find! Can't wait to see it at TrikeFest! YOur coming right?

Might want to get some different tires on the back before you do too much riding with it. Those things get way too much side bite.

honda200
03-12-2005, 09:55 PM
haha, i wish i could go to trike fest, but i am out here in the boonies of canada,

I got a set of Razrs for it, just have to get 9 inch rims, those are 8 inch

Curtis

Dammit!
03-12-2005, 09:56 PM
Darius or Chainsaw might even be able to tell from the pics. I'm not sure what other differences there are that are obvious. I know they changed the fork diameter from 37mm to 39mm in '86.

honda200
03-12-2005, 10:03 PM
are there any websites that will show me wxhausts for this bike??

I cant seem to find DG's website, i checked FMF and i can only find 4 stroke cobras....

Thanks

Curtis

Derrick Adams
03-12-2005, 10:15 PM
www.denniskirk.com for the DG. That's all that's available new, i'm afraid. As far as head pipes go.

twgranger
03-12-2005, 10:24 PM
www.denniskirk.com for the DG. That's all that's available new, i'm afraid. As far as head pipes go.Same for the silencers, Dg is all you can get new. From seeing where the overflow bottle is on the frame i belive that is a 86 Z. Here is a link.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/MMYSkuDisplay.jsp;jsessionid=DMGS1RI2CWVIFLA0WTISM 4VMDK0NCIV0?leafCatId=10901&catId=109&store=Main&mmyId=13702

honda200
03-12-2005, 11:13 PM
yep, its got 6 gears in it

Thanks for the links :)

Curtis

TimSr
03-12-2005, 11:30 PM
it says 1985 on the vin sticker

maybe 1985 and a half???

Curtis

Most model years are manufactured in the prior year. Your 86 was most likely built in 85. As a general rule, (not 100%) for any make and model if its built after June its probably the next model year. In other words if a VIN sticker says "MFG 5/88" its most lilkely an 88 model. If it says "MFG 7/88" its probably an 89 model. If you have never noticed, the '06 models will start appearing in dealer showrooms around October of '05. The only time they will ever designate a 1/2 year is of they make some change during the same production year.

honda200
03-12-2005, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the info TimSr!!!

tommorow after i get the truck done and takin it to get saftey, i will drive into town and pick up a clymer manual for it, the kick start, not quite sure the problem with it, after i kick it over, it wont return, leads me to believe return spring is bad, ok, next problem, when i pull it up by hand, it springs back down, unless i jam it way way back and sometimes it will catch so i can kick it over again, but sometime it will just play games with me and make me tire my arm out, and when i give up, it catches, lol

Any idea what could be screwed up in it?? other then puttin on a new shifter pedal, and getting the top end done, the kick starter is the only thing i have to do to make it run, and run right

Curtis

TimSr
03-12-2005, 11:56 PM
You need to take a look at the return spring. One of the spring ends is not anchored in the right place.

Kintore
03-13-2005, 06:20 PM
Way to go curtis! you got it congrats. We will have to ride one day pal. me on my 86 and you on your 86. lol

honda200
03-13-2005, 07:00 PM
lol, thanks Josh!!

I have taken the pipe off and it is now in the midst of drying with gloss black high heat enamel paint, will get a pic up later tonight, i jammed the warrior grab bar on it for now, it looks real stupid, its way wrong, anyone got a picture of what they actually look like so i can keep an eye out at work??

Thanks

Curtis

dirtface
03-13-2005, 08:07 PM
You should pickup one of the PRM bars, I know I highly recommend them. Here's the website. www.prm-atv.com

honda200
03-13-2005, 08:50 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/curtis_guitars/Tri%20Z/NewPictures3.jpg

look at that silencer!! ^^^^ I am getting a DG one for it,what is this one??

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/curtis_guitars/Tri%20Z/NewPictures1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/curtis_guitars/Tri%20Z/NewPictures9.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/curtis_guitars/Tri%20Z/NewPictures8.jpg

Thats all the pics I got

Curtis

honda200
03-13-2005, 10:18 PM
ok, heres the scoop, my dad says until i get my truck on the road, no sinkin money into this project, so, i am just going to yank the motor out, inspect everything and such, totally clean the frame up, and when the time comes my truck is done (very soon) i will send the top end out to be bored and have a wiesco piston fitted for it, then i will be detailing the motor with gloss black high temp heat paint, the frame, if it really needs it, i will strip and paint it red again, the seat i will re cover myself in either black, or red, not sure yet, and then i will be doing regular clean up and mods

Curtis

Dammit!
03-13-2005, 10:20 PM
That would be a fun restore project. Hope to find something like it someday.

Jeb
03-14-2005, 10:15 AM
It's a little late, but the fork tubes are definite 86. Those lower tubes look massive compared to my 85's. But yet they still look small compared to my 86 KXTs! :wondering :D

I wouldn't mind upgrading my 85 to the bigger 86 forks.

Great score on the '86 Z! :beer

diggerzmound
03-14-2005, 10:38 AM
not sure, havent had it that far yet lol

the end where the shifter goes on is slightly stripped, so i took off the shifter pedal, and cut in new splines with a hack saw, jammed it back on and tightened it really well, its just has to last until i get a new shifter (the shaft aint stripped, its the shifter itself)

Curtis

You can get the shift shaft assembly for around $30 at your local dealer, I just picked one up for my project..

Darius1502
03-14-2005, 12:22 PM
Looks good to me. Looks like you have 85 forks on it. The 85's have the air pressure bleeder raised up from the fork. The 86 uses a cap like the R's in which the bleeder does not stick out.

The rest looks like an 86. You should have a radiator over flow bottle by the rider's calve on the exhast side. Thats an 86.

honda200
03-14-2005, 10:16 PM
thanks for the replies guys, I picked up a pos grab bar today for 5 bucks at work, threw it on, it works, its slightly bent, but it serves it purpose, for now, lol

I also found an entire motor pretty much, 2 top ends, one is bad, the other is good, the other top end is in MINT shape, but they are too much money for me, i will just bore mine out and add new piston.

I also found a mint stock seat, i will be buying it soon, at my work they wrecked an 86 tri z, so they have some parts available for me :D

Curtis

TRIZTUNES
03-29-2005, 02:46 AM
HEY,

you forgot about bill's,they also made a exhaust system for the triz.

white brother's also had one but i never saw one.

there's a coffman's silencer on ebay now never heard of them.

kerker they made silencer they were big in canada.

TRIZTUNES!!! :w00t: