PDA

View Full Version : exhaust burning red, starting from the engine to the end.??

Paul
01-24-2003, 01:03 AM
Like someone told me earlier that it would be a good idea to ask the dealer, well i had my wife go there today to pick up a gasket, and she asked about the pipe like i told her, they told her that it could only be two things, i either got the wrong plug or my carb isnt adjusted right, that my fuel is too lean. they said they can adjust the carb for $50 if i bring it in. Is there a way i can make it richer myself??
and with the spark plug they said that it might be the right number but the wrong color, they told her that if i have a silver one then i got the wrong one its supposed to be gold(the bottom part with the thread) i dont know i didnt have time go out and check myne, i just got home and its 9already:( but does that sound like nonsense?? i mean could that really be a diffrence in a plug by the color not number???

Thanks

its a 225dx for those who dont know. and the thin

85200xer
01-24-2003, 01:20 AM
there are several carb adjustments you can make to richen it up. first look at the needle and clip, it is easly loacated if you take the top of the carb off. then move the clip down on the needle,thus raising the needle up allowing more fuel to pass by. if that doesn't do it then you will have to get a larger main jet.

good luck,
85200xer

hrc200x
01-24-2003, 11:43 AM
Could something be blocking the exghaust? I'd think timing could also do something like this. I once seen on a pickup with headers that had heat tape wraped around them it got red hot also, so is there anything on your exghaust?

How does the 225 run? Look at the plug and see if the end is black, white, or brown like it should be. White would mean its running to lean, black either means is a very old plug or its running rich.

mudfreak99
01-24-2003, 12:43 PM
Paul my friend, have ytou recently put an after market exhaust on there? This is a common problem, people don't realize that you have to re-jet when you put an aftermarket pipe on (not all the time but alot of the time)... hope this hlps and best of luck to ya, I would go messin with the screwes on the carb, except maybe the idle screw... but you still will need to re-jett... and about the spark plugs... I have never heard that, soujnds like a crock of crap to me...

Paul
01-25-2003, 01:59 AM
well actualy i am still running my stock pipe, and i did take the baffle or whatever you call it out, it dont look cloged up, seems to pass smoke just fine, i will try the needle adjusting though, see where that will take me.

you are asking me how it runs, well it runs good, i think it pushes all its got, (even though i might be wrong i never drove another one) the only thing is that when full throttle from a stop at first it dont respond for a few seconds and then revs up, kind of what it did when my fuel filter was cloged up.

and about the timing, a few people told me about adjusting that, but i guess it dont adjust on my bike or something:(( i dont know how to do it:(

thanks for the help

200x Basket
01-25-2003, 10:28 AM
Paul

A rich setting can also cause the pipe to glow red. infact if the whole pipe is red i bet it is rich. the raw fuel is burning all the way through the pipe, that is why it is red. what does the plug look like. white is lean black is rich. also if it is only a problem at an idel your float could be to high or the needle seat (fuel inlet) may be worn. this will allow fuel to dribble intot he engine at an idle but clears up as the rpms increase.

Tri-Z dude
01-25-2003, 12:27 PM
i dont know about the plug thing
but i run a NGK D7EA plug in my DX and i love it
plus thats what my dealers recommend
Ben

smokinwrench
01-25-2003, 02:46 PM
Hey Paul, I might have found the stuff you need. Air box cover and carb off 200 atv it looks like my 225 dr carb it might work, and a air box from 200 it looks the same too. I tried to make links just to click on, but I'm computer stupid. I'VE GOTO BUY THE BOOK "INTERNET FOR DUMMIES". I typed in yamaha 200 to find this stuff on ebay. Good luck Josh

smokinwrench
01-25-2003, 06:24 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10066&item=2401015938&rd=1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35580&item=2400756486&rd=1 Well I hope I done this correctly. Josh

Paul
01-25-2003, 10:20 PM
Hey thanks man, that does look the same, i will give it a shot:)
My spark plug isnt black but isnt white either, somewhere in between, little grayish.

200x Basket
01-25-2003, 10:25 PM
dark gray mor black or light gray more white.

white is lean. good is tan.