PDA

View Full Version : CoolHead for a 250R

Fox250R
03-11-2005, 05:35 AM
I was wondering how a cool head works..I guess it just adds more water to the engine but im not sure...Anybody?

250RNUT
03-11-2005, 08:05 AM
It's a 2 piece design that does hold a little more water but more importantly it is made out of aluminum which cools alot better. I think they come in a few different cc's to make a compression difference. Hope this helps.

Fox250R
03-11-2005, 08:36 AM
thanks bro!

nate b
03-11-2005, 08:55 AM
what do you think the stock head is made of? cast iron?

250RNUT
03-11-2005, 10:01 AM
what do you think the stock head is made of? cast iron?

NO, I KNOW the stock head is aluminum but the coolhead design has much better cooling characteristics than stock(HENCE THE NAME,COOLHEAD)being a little taller and bigger than a stock set-up

TimSr
03-11-2005, 10:48 AM
I too wondered what possibly made these supposedly work cooler, and I just dont see it, so I too have the same question, about how they work. Albeit not exactly in a real polite way, nateb has pointed out that being made of aluminum cant be the secret. Larger coolant ports mean less metal which doesnt necessarily equal running cooler, and can have the opposite effect depending on how coolant and metal are proportioned. The original question was asking what exactly are the cooling characteristics that warrant these guys calling this thing a "cool head", and if anybody knows the answer to that, I am curious too. Its a good question.

250RNUT
03-11-2005, 11:06 AM
Tim, I think that the coolhead is a 2 piece design that holds "MORE" coolant because it is a little taller than stock. Why is it a 2 piece design? I have not a clue. people buy it for one reason,Because its shiny and shiny things work better on 250r's

Dan Tenn
03-11-2005, 11:38 AM
I think its a 2-piece design so that you can change to different chamber volumes for more or less compression. I dont see the cooling part as being the selling point here. I think its the ability to change dome sizes easily to improve performance. Is anybody sure its called a coolhead because it cools the engine, or it LOOKS cool. ie: Dude thats a cool head you got there. :)

Mr. Sandman
03-11-2005, 12:14 PM
I think its a 2-piece design so that you can change to different chamber volumes for more or less compression. I dont see the cooling part as being the selling point here. I think its the ability to change dome sizes easily to improve performance. Is anybody sure its called a coolhead because it cools the engine, or it LOOKS cool. ie: Dude thats a cool head you got there. :)
Dan Tenn is right, the main feature of a cool head is the interchangable domes. It might hold a little more coolant, but any increase in cooling will be negligable and is just slick marketing BS.

Billy Golightly
03-11-2005, 12:17 PM
I've always heard they call it a coolhead because it looks cool. :)

Dammit!
03-11-2005, 12:23 PM
I've always heard they call it a coolhead because it looks cool. :)

And they're right. I want one for that reason alone. :D

hondatrikesrule22
03-11-2005, 12:45 PM
Tim, I think that the coolhead is a 2 piece design that holds "MORE" coolant because it is a little taller than stock. Why is it a 2 piece design? I have not a clue. people buy it for one reason,Because its shiny and shiny things work better on 250r's

Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are. :D Don't we all love shiny things? :D

Dammit!
03-11-2005, 01:03 PM
Polished aluminum has a smoother surface and has less wind resistance so each shiny part adds like .5 mph. I thought that was common knowledge. :D

TimSr
03-11-2005, 01:05 PM
people buy it for one reason,Because its shiny and shiny things work better on 250r's

Now THAT explanation I will accept!!! LOL It is SO true!

Troll 2
03-11-2005, 04:20 PM
Looks like a three h.p. difference with changing the dome. Gotta love 53 h.p. threw a fmf pipe.
Heres a dyno chart and spec link; http://www.macdizzy.com/trx_dyno.htm :beer

Lots_Of_Nothing
03-11-2005, 05:49 PM
When I had the R, I swapped one off from my buddys TRXR for a day, and I didnt notice any difference at all. Supposably it had the next to smallest dome (highest compression). It is a big chunk of space out of your wallet just for some bling in my oppinion. Sort of like how people will run FMF pipes and sell the older Bills and handmade pipes just because they are chrome. The show before go factor seems to be most associated with R's, But i've seen atleast once on most everything. I would much rather have a ratty bike with a rusty handmade pipe, then a blinged out duner R with a FMF. (no offence to you dune riding guys... it is just where I see it most :p )

dirtface
03-11-2005, 06:17 PM
A buddy of mine has owned a bike shop for years and sponsors a micro sprint racer, with either a 250r motor or a cr250 motor. He swears by the Cool Heads, he says they make the biggest difference. I have one for my one ' 86 atc250R,but haven't put it on yet. I also have two domes for it, which are very different.

Troll 2
03-11-2005, 11:41 PM
When I had the R, I swapped one off from my buddys TRXR for a day, and I didnt notice any difference at all. Supposably it had the next to smallest dome (highest compression). It is a big chunk of space out of your wallet just for some bling in my oppinion. Sort of like how people will run FMF pipes and sell the older Bills and handmade pipes just because they are chrome. The show before go factor seems to be most associated with R's, But i've seen atleast once on most everything. I would much rather have a ratty bike with a rusty handmade pipe, then a blinged out duner R with a FMF. (no offence to you dune riding guys... it is just where I see it most :p )

:p http://www.macdizzy.com/trx_dyno.htm

Lots_Of_Nothing
03-11-2005, 11:56 PM
:p http://www.macdizzy.com/trx_dyno.htm

I saw your first post, I just ignored it for a reason :p . Was stating my personal experience with the product, Not reading about someone else using it.

Fox250R
03-12-2005, 01:21 AM
so its a waste of money huh? lol

CHAINSAW
03-12-2005, 10:25 AM
I had one on my R, and wouldn't waste the money on one again. I had 4 sets of dome, tried several different kinds of fuels, and never noticed any differences. It might of ran cooler, but it still burned your hand when you touched it after it had been running.. lol

So instead of listening to "hear-say" about some guys buddy that swears by them, take it straight from someone who used it, didnt like it, and would never waste the money again.
Like Billy said, the only reason for the name cool head, is because it looks cool. Oh, and it makes changing your plugs a pain also, because it is taller then a stock head. Changing the actual plug isnt bad if you use a cresent wrench, but putting the plug boot back on is kinda difficult.