PDA

View Full Version : Big Red Dilemma 250ES

sandpuppi101
03-10-2005, 06:04 PM
I have a 85' 250es Big Red that I have had for a couple of years and I can't decide what to do with it? The old girl looks like it has had a hard life and has its share of problems,but all of the major components are still there.When I bought her the fenders were 5-gallon buckets cut in half ,but the racks are OK.The motor runs but needs TLC and I think the shift drum is rough also.I don't know ,I am proud of the fact that I have a Big Red ,but just thinking about it sure seems an awful lot like work.I sure would like to see what all of you would do[ part it or fix it?]One other thing ,Quick math says it would be about $500 - 600.00 in parts to restore her! Not including labor.How much do you all think a fully restored '85 250 Big Red would be worth ?

brapp
03-10-2005, 06:14 PM
it isnt whats its worth its jsut the fact of havign one that runs and is rideable, fix er up and get another 20 yerars out of her! dont part it . just think everytime you part a trike or masterbate god kills a kitten, stop killing kittens!!!!!

DeePa
03-10-2005, 06:17 PM
i hate cats...but get it mechcanically sound, and ride the hell out of it. Who cares if everything isnt perfect...

sandpuppi101
03-10-2005, 09:20 PM
OK ,so I guess I see your logic brapp !So I thats 2 for Restore so far!

patblkwell
03-10-2005, 09:32 PM
I'd restore it, especially if the motor is in good running good condition. I just finished restoring my '87 big red. It's very satisfying..

K1500
03-11-2005, 04:00 AM
Fix the ol girl up!

bigredhead
03-11-2005, 09:58 AM
If the frame is solid enough, and the tranny shifts in all gears without slipping ( shift drum thingy... what's the symptoms ???? ) fenders can be fixed, but engine should be reliable.....

Fixer up !

sandpuppi101
03-11-2005, 04:45 PM
The trans pops out ,not all of the time ,but when there is a heavy load on it .The shifter itself does not return all of the time when shifting so I assume the shift drum to be wore out as well as the return spring! As I was writing this ,a guy called me up,he has a 84 atc110 needs a little work and a mint 76 atc 90 wanting to trade even up on the old girl.Now what do I do ?

BIGCRIP28
03-11-2005, 06:52 PM
id like to see a pic of that thing.

1shot
03-13-2005, 09:28 AM
It could look like this when your done

sandpuppi101
03-13-2005, 09:34 AM
1shot -I gotta tell you that is one of the nicest Big Red's I have seen since they were on the local dealers showroom floor ,back in the day.I also gotta tell you guys that I am very heavily leaning on the restore side.

Dirtcrasher
03-13-2005, 12:02 PM
The trans pops out ,not all of the time ,but when there is a heavy load on it .The shifter itself does not return all of the time when shifting so I assume the shift drum to be wore out as well as the return spring! As I was writing this ,a guy called me up,he has a 84 atc110 needs a little work and a mint 76 atc 90 wanting to trade even up on the old girl.Now what do I do ?

What will it be worth when your done? Around 1000$ depending on how well it's restored and what people are willing to pay. Is it what you want? or will you be done with 1200$ into it and then want a 200X, 350X or some other ATC.

I will have about 2500$ into my 1987 250SX, can I sell it for that? No, but I will never sell it until I can't ride it.

Those shifting problems seem like 2 seperate issues. The shifter not returning is the same as most SX problems. Which is a broken or loose shift return spring pin and or the gearshift arm being sloppy or broke. Those are external problems. Your other issue may very well be inside the cases. If it's popping out under load and clackity clanking until you downshift it isn't doing the gear train and shift drum any favors.

If you get into splitting your case you are into the machine quite a bit more chang.

Bottom line is that if it is an ATC you will be happy with and want to keep for a few years then the cost of restoration shouldn't be an issue. Tear it down and do your math but do it well. Many of os get into these things thinking 500$ will do it and suddenly that just about doubles or triples as new problems and worn parts show their ugly face.