PDA

View Full Version : 85 vs 86 350x(parts interchange)

smokinp
03-09-2005, 01:54 PM
hey...i have a 85 350x bottom end with a jug and I am building up a 350x and I need to know if all parts from the 86 will interchange on to the 85.I am looking on ebay and I see the headpipes look different and what about the wiring harness?thanks

350x'inNY
03-09-2005, 02:21 PM
I'm not a big motor guy, but most of the parts are interchangeable. Some things were improved in the 86 motor, but nothing that would make a certain part not work in the other year motor. Oil pump pick-up is lower in the 86, the kickstarter gear ratio was changed, the oil guides in the head were improved, something with the cam chain tensioner too. I know you can interchange the clutch arm on the side case to convert your clutch cable routing to that of an 85 or an 86. You'll just need the cable guide pieces outside the motor once you change the side case lever.

The only difference with the headpipe, is an added gromment to screw the heatshield on. (Cosmetically, the black plastic part of the heatshield is different too along with the front sprocket cover cosmetics.) The wiring harness is the same, other than the switch assembly for the headlight/kill-switch cosmetics.