PDA

View Full Version : Parts trays.......what do you use?

Huffa
03-08-2005, 10:52 PM
I use Plastic TV diner trays with 3 or 4 sections, ice cube trays & cub cake trays. Last two I find at garage sales once in a while. They work great if your tearing a whole bike apart. Just make small labels then so weeks to come everything goes back in the right place.

KASEY
03-08-2005, 11:12 PM
i have several magnetic trays,,,

chris200x
03-08-2005, 11:22 PM
I use magnets and old fishin boxes, for engine cases and other large objects I just use good old fashion cardboard boxes

Orangecnty250r
03-08-2005, 11:49 PM
When I bought my house there was a whole bunch of these colored fiberglass trays in many different sizes left behind. I can actually pick up this tray with the motor in it.They are great to put parts in to spray with degreaser and clean. For organization of other parts I just use plastic bins from Lowes

dblshockpower
03-08-2005, 11:59 PM
Cardboard boxes/plasic bags/zip lock bags... then print the schematic with all the parts/ bolt sizes and assembly info per pack...also keep a metric tape measure handy to qualify 12mm or 14mm ect. length bolts.

grundlegrabber
03-09-2005, 12:55 AM
Magnet trays, available at sears hardware. They work great for small parts.

leprogle
03-09-2005, 11:51 AM
i picked up a couple metal dog bowls real cheap at a yard sale, for magnetizing, i had a few old speakers, the magnets are work real good, just stick them on the bottom.

mx600
03-09-2005, 11:53 AM
Isn't that what the floor is for? I just scatter all the nuts and bolts and small parts all over the floor. That way they are always right where I need them. Sometimes I put them on the workbench, but even then they usually get knocked on the floor, right where they belong.

When I'm feeling really organized I use an extra small toolbox with sectioned containers built into the tray. Small parts and nuts/bolts go in the top tray, bigger stuff can go under it. I can close the top so if I ever do knock/kick the box, nothing will get mixed in with the parts I've previously scattered on the floor from my other projects. :Bounce

250rAL
03-10-2005, 11:37 AM
Isn't that what the floor is for? I just scatter all the nuts and bolts and small parts all over the floor. That way they are always right where I need them. Sometimes I put them on the workbench, but even then they usually get knocked on the floor, right where they belong.

When I'm feeling really organized I use an extra small toolbox with sectioned containers built into the tray. Small parts and nuts/bolts go in the top tray, bigger stuff can go under it. I can close the top so if I ever do knock/kick the box, nothing will get mixed in with the parts I've previously scattered on the floor from my other projects. :Bounce

LOL, that's basically my system! When I tear something apart, the bits and pieces are all over the place. I put connecting assemblies next to each other on the floor/bench/truck hood and put all the bolts back in the holes they belong in. When I put everything back together, the leftover bits go in my bolt bucket for my next project!

jenndnn3
03-10-2005, 12:13 PM

OH I am so guilty for this method. But if I organize I swear to god I cannot find a bleedin thing.

brapp
03-10-2005, 12:41 PM
when doing motor work out of the bike i use the 1 inch deep drawr on my snapon roll box and when workign ont he chasis or other stuf fi have a series of plastic fishing boxes the little organizers