PDA

View Full Version : Wanted : P&P '83-'84 R cylinder pictures

bebeav
03-08-2005, 10:32 PM
hi dudes,

i just got myself a cylinder from ebay. by the look it as compare to my stock cylinder, i'm sure it's ported and polished. now i'm asking if anyone got pictures of their ported and polished air cooled cylinder so i can compare it to mine and know a little bit if it's a low end, mid range or top end job.

post picture with details of the port and polish job.

i'll try to post pic of my cylinder tonight.

ALP
Beav

bebeav
03-08-2005, 10:54 PM
i don't know wtf is going on i can't upload any pic tonight so i'll try to upload some tomorow.

ALP
Beav

KASEY
03-08-2005, 11:09 PM
there are so many people with there own ideas about porting comparing them is almost useless,,, not all port jobs work like they are supose to either,,,,

bebeav
03-08-2005, 11:41 PM
ok, i think you're right about this one, but can i identify somethings about my porting to tell me if it's a good one or not, if it's gonna give me more low end or top end etc.

cause i don't wanna sleeve a cylinder that doesn't help my riding habit or a cylinder that just had a really bad porting who hurt performance.

ALP
Beav

bebeav
03-08-2005, 11:44 PM
oh and btw is there any way to flow test the cylinder???

ALP
Beav

KASEY
03-09-2005, 12:25 PM
its not really the amount of flow thats inportant in a two stroke,,, its port timing,,, in relation to timing and piston position,,, flow does play a part but port timing is the most critical,,,, if your going to sleeve a cylinder then you can throw all that out,,, cause a sleeve will have stock porting ,,, the massaging of aluminum in the cylinder is just a cleanup and has little effect on porting.... so the new sleeve can be ported to your liking,,, if you have someone do it that knows what they are doing,,, :D :D :D

bebeav
03-09-2005, 12:39 PM
ok so you mean that the intake and exhaust outlet doesn't do much at all, that's only the shape of the port directly on the sleeve that influence the power output??

ALP
Beav

bebeav
03-10-2005, 08:20 AM
no one?????

ALP
Beav

KASEY
03-10-2005, 11:27 AM
IT looks like someone has done some clean and shaping in the transfers ,,, but its hard to tell much from the pictures,,, :D the knifedging of the transfer port dividers is not something a real good port job would have ,, they would be shaped like the front of an airplane wing ,, air flows over that shape better,,,,

bebeav
03-10-2005, 06:52 PM
so if i want the most of this cylinder i should try to round the edge on the transfer passage and then try to find a shop that does this kind of p&p (air cooled cylinder) and let them inspect my cylinder and tell me what they think.

but btw do you know what kind of modification would i need to apply on the cylinder to help my mid to top horsepower.

ALP
Beav

KASEY
03-11-2005, 02:34 AM
there is some good info on macdizzy about porting ,, i don't know enough about shape to tell you have to do ,,, but take it to a pro porter ,,, they will tell you what to do,,,