PDA

View Full Version : ATC90 wiring help please!!

PLJ.
03-08-2005, 10:15 PM
I am helping a teenager from my church with a neat little ATC90 that he has. It is in very nice shape, orange color, cam type bar clamp, steel fenders, etc. a pretty early model. Anyhow, the trike has no spark. It appears to have a brand new coil installed on it. I removed it from that wonderful mounting location inside that stamped frame, checked the connections, removed the recoil, everything inside looks great, looked at the points, they were moving and did not look cooked. I even traced the on/off switch into the headlight bucket, disconencted the switch, and made a jumper wire. Still nothing. Here are the parts: 1. The coil has one green and one black wire running away from it toward the wiring harness. 2. There is a condensor mounted on one end of the coil with another green wire heading from the condensor to the coil. 3. In between this little green wire between the coil and the condensor there is a plug port to accept another wire from somewhere?? 5. There is one green wire coming from the points to the harness and two wires a yellow and a black coming the flywheel toward the harness. I have never heard this bike run, but I assume that someone replaced the coil and did not hook these wires all up correctly and I have no wiring diagram. Does anyone have any advice for me on this one?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mbubbac
03-08-2005, 10:19 PM
the points plugs into the extra port you have from the condenser and coil

jeswinehart
03-08-2005, 10:23 PM
are found on the main page PLJ ,,, very easy to skip by them in getting to the forums. good luck doing good deeds !

john

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/WiringHome.shtml

ATCnut
03-09-2005, 10:52 PM
The switch in the headlight stops the motor by shorting out the ignition. So just disconnect it, do not put in a jumper. Sounds like you exciter coil, that is inside the motor is bad. Thats just from elimination, because the coil is good and the points are good. It is the only other part of the system.

MTS
03-10-2005, 12:21 AM
The switch in the headlight stops the motor by shorting out the ignition. So just disconnect it, do not put in a jumper. Sounds like you exciter coil, that is inside the motor is bad. Thats just from elimination, because the coil is good and the points are good. It is the only other part of the system.
yep....you have to replace the whole stator too on the 90's...it stinks,...been there done that! as for the great location of the coil, it is possibil to get out through the hole for the air box vent.....if you need any specs like points, let me know i have the manuel....dont have the trike anymore tho :p

HaggLE
03-10-2005, 05:38 PM
There are two charging coils in the 90's. One for engine the other for Headlight. The odds of both being dead are slim but you can run the engine from the light coil. Engine is black, headlight is yellow.

MTS
03-10-2005, 08:17 PM
There are two charging coils in the 90's. One for engine the other for Headlight. The odds of both being dead are slim but you can run the engine from the light coil. Engine is black, headlight is yellow.
the 90 stator is a one piece ceramic coated piece tho, on my old stator the igniton one **** the bed and the guy who had it befor me just took and run the copper wires off that coil pack and solderd them to another one....workd for along time lol

mwarrenh
03-21-2006, 03:45 AM
Here's a diagram of just the ignition circuit for an atc90 (1978) without all the other wiring in the way.

qdmr666187
04-12-2006, 08:28 PM
I am helping a teenager from my church with a neat little ATC90 that he has. It is in very nice shape, orange color, cam type bar clamp, steel fenders, etc. a pretty early model. Anyhow, the trike has no spark. It appears to have a brand new coil installed on it. I removed it from that wonderful mounting location inside that stamped frame, checked the connections, removed the recoil, everything inside looks great, looked at the points, they were moving and did not look cooked. I even traced the on/off switch into the headlight bucket, disconencted the switch, and made a jumper wire. Still nothing. Here are the parts: 1. The coil has one green and one black wire running away from it toward the wiring harness. 2. There is a condensor mounted on one end of the coil with another green wire heading from the condensor to the coil. 3. In between this little green wire between the coil and the condensor there is a plug port to accept another wire from somewhere?? 5. There is one green wire coming from the points to the harness and two wires a yellow and a black coming the flywheel toward the harness. I have never heard this bike run, but I assume that someone replaced the coil and did not hook these wires all up correctly and I have no wiring diagram. Does anyone have any advice for me on this one?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
3wheeler world has wiring diagrams i think .