PDA

View Full Version : Will a Wiseco Piston give you more power over stock

Darius1502
03-06-2005, 11:29 PM
Will a Wiseco piston give me any power of the stocker? Assuming both are the same bore and compression?

Thanks,

HRC1
03-06-2005, 11:45 PM
No. It might be a little lighter than the stock piston, but without changing comp, You won't notice a thing. Unless your stock piston has a hole in it.

Darius1502
03-06-2005, 11:47 PM
Got it...thanks!

hrc85250r
03-07-2005, 12:06 AM
unless you have an R and you can use their racers choice piston or one of their uncut piston skirt pistons you have to custom cut the skirt on..... :cool:

Wickedfinger
03-07-2005, 12:58 AM
No. It might be a little lighter than the stock piston, but without changing comp, You won't notice a thing. Unless your stock piston has a hole in it. I would have to disagree ... almost all aftermarket Wiseco 2-stroke ATV pistons are made with revised and more agressive piston porting which will give you a couple of ponies, depending on the application. If you don't believe me, hold one up to a stock piston and you be the judge. They also usually have a more radiused crown than stock, which in turn will raise the compression ratio slightly - but - not usually enough to write home about. Even though i have gotten into countless arguments on here about it - I will admit that there really is no such thing as a hi-compression 2-stroke Wiseco piston.

Darius1502
03-07-2005, 01:11 AM
Ok...now I am thinking of putting one in my Z although it does not seem to need it.

Question: Is it worth it?

Wickedfinger
03-07-2005, 01:28 AM
well, you almost never hear of anybody "grenading" or loosing a skirt on a Wisco piston, unless something else was to blame (like non-relieved ports on a re-bore, too lean, etc.). They are of a higher quality, with a much higher "silicone" content than most (I stress most) of your OEM pistons. Polaris's pinger pistons are a good example of this, they are known for having breakage and skirt problems if the motors are modded even a little, and they are made by ART/Sudco, just like all of the other manufacturers.

Quickonstep
03-07-2005, 02:57 AM
well, you almost never hear of anybody "grenading" or loosing a skirt on a Wisco piston, unless something else was to blame (like non-relieved ports on a re-bore, too lean, etc.). They are of a higher quality, with a much higher "silicone" content than most (I stress most) of your OEM pistons. Polaris's pinger pistons are a good example of this, they are known for having breakage and skirt problems if the motors are modded even a little, and they are made by ART/Sudco, just like all of the other manufacturers.

heh.. are you kidding me? why do you think wiseco has earned the name "wiseco DISPOSABLE pistons" i have seen more grenaded wiseco's than any other piston out there.. and that is INCLUDING stock.. i have an entire container of grenaded pistons from customers boats that i would be more than happy to back my claim up.. most pistons come from fuel injected, mercury 2.5 liter 260+ hp motors.. and most of these motors are STOCK engines, just needing a piston replacement or a rebore.. i also might add that while the stock pistons lasted 150-200 hours, the wiseco's lasted MAYBE 50 hours.. and about 40% of those lasted less than 10..

My suggestion for a piston is a JE piston.. after seeing the quailty of a JE over a wiseco, i will NEVER buy another wiseco ever again.. Also the wiseco's c/r are 99% off, and are not correct, hence a 11.1 compression ratio piston will yeild apx 10.5:1, which in my book just isnt right.. while the JE pistons factor in the STOCK gasket thickness to get a true compression ratio..

The choice is yours, but i would STRONGLY suggestion taking a look at JE pistons and some other manufactures out there..

After opening the box to your first JE piston, you will understand where i am coming from when i say this.. if i had a new one i would post apic of that and a wiseco and you could be the judge.

www.jepistons.com

Just my opinion and advice

Jesse

OldSchoolin86
03-07-2005, 11:45 AM
heh.. are you kidding me? why do you think wiseco has earned the name "wiseco DISPOSABLE pistons" i have seen more grenaded wiseco's than any other piston out there.. and that is INCLUDING stock.. i have an entire container of grenaded pistons from customers boats that i would be more than happy to back my claim up.. most pistons come from fuel injected, mercury 2.5 liter 260+ hp motors.. and most of these motors are STOCK engines, just needing a piston replacement or a rebore.. i also might add that while the stock pistons lasted 150-200 hours, the wiseco's lasted MAYBE 50 hours.. and about 40% of those lasted less than 10..

My suggestion for a piston is a JE piston.. after seeing the quailty of a JE over a wiseco, i will NEVER buy another wiseco ever again.. Also the wiseco's c/r are 99% off, and are not correct, hence a 11.1 compression ratio piston will yeild apx 10.5:1, which in my book just isnt right.. while the JE pistons factor in the STOCK gasket thickness to get a true compression ratio..

The choice is yours, but i would STRONGLY suggestion taking a look at JE pistons and some other manufactures out there..

After opening the box to your first JE piston, you will understand where i am coming from when i say this.. if i had a new one i would post apic of that and a wiseco and you could be the judge.

www.jepistons.com

Just my opinion and advice

Jesse

Good debate Jesse :rolleyes:
There are thousands of machines out there and you based this basicaly on one motor? JE has it's problems too. Currently there are a lot of them cracking up in the raptors.

HRC1
03-07-2005, 08:07 PM
I would have to disagree ... almost all aftermarket Wiseco 2-stroke ATV pistons are made with revised and more agressive piston porting which will give you a couple of ponies, depending on the application. If you don't believe me, hold one up to a stock piston and you be the judge. They also usually have a more radiused crown than stock, which in turn will raise the compression ratio slightly - but - not usually enough to write home about. Even though i have gotten into countless arguments on here about it - I will admit that there really is no such thing as a hi-compression 2-stroke Wiseco piston.
Ok, here it goes, my 1985 atc250r was about as nice as i could have asked for when i got it 4 yrs ago, Stock piston, clutch cover had never been off, bone stock internally, i ran it for 2 yrs and decided since i didnt know what amount of time it had on it before i got it, that i wanted to freshen it up before it blew. Well, there was only 5 thou clearance in the cyl if i remem right. I could see all the crosshatch still, and the piston was fine, but since i had it apart i decided to punch it .10 and get the wiseco, even though many friends of mine had skirts crack & fall off, and ring retaining pins back out scoring the hell out of the bore. I choze wiseco over pro x cause they were lighter, and forged. I havent had any problems with mine in 2 yrs, But, i did not notice a performance gain over stock. It felt a little bit snappier, but after replacing a STOCK cast, heavy and worn piston, i think anyone will feel something different. I don't think the differences you mentioned matter as mutch in the real world as they do on paper or in your hand. And my "gain" was nill if any. Unless you change something drastically, most pistons "feel" the same.

Darius1502
03-07-2005, 08:20 PM
great info...thanks!!

hrc85250r
03-07-2005, 08:26 PM
i dont think JE makes 2 stroke pistons...at least none of their catalogs have them...

Dammit!
03-07-2005, 08:45 PM
Never had a problem with any of my Wisecos. A single cylinder trike motor is a far cry from a 260hp boat motor though. I wouldn't worry about it. I think you'd have to beating on it pretty hard for any piston to break (assuming the bore was done right) and we all know your trikes don't get beat. ;)

Mobular
03-08-2005, 12:15 AM
8 years on my 10.25:1 Wiseco 350X slug, and nary a hiccup........

TimSr
03-08-2005, 12:27 AM
Considering they are more common in ATVs and Motorcycles than any other piston, (probably even OEM pistons), the fact that one guy says they are a problem in a boat motor isnt enough to make me run out and buy some exotic brand you rarely hear of being used. Also Ill add that almost every piston I have ever seen come apart, it was caused by a worn out bore, or a cheapo budget bore job, or improper setup. I havent yet seen one that could be attributed to a "faulty piston", OEM or Wiseco. Some might withstand faulty conditions better than others, but you dont correct faulty conditions, by buying a piston that will handle it better.

As for the original question, "do they produce more power" - probably, from an engineer's standpoint, but if you go out and buy a Wiseco piston kit to replace a good OEM one, for no other reason than an expectation of a performance gain, you are going to be very disappointed with what you got for the money spent.

resto250r
03-08-2005, 02:26 AM
I was told by an old timer machinist that with weisco pistons u have to completely warm up the motor everytime u ride otherwise you will score it easier than u would a stock or Pro X piston. Has anyone heard this? He told me this after I had him bore my 83 250r motor I had 2 hrs on it when the bottom end acted up. When I pulled it apart it showed signs of scoring already. He said I didn't warm it up properly, but I let it sit and idle low for 15 mi then drove it slowly for 30 min then shut it down let it cool then started all over again. Has anyone heard of this?

Wickedfinger
03-08-2005, 02:36 AM
.... yeah, from where the bore wasn't punched to spec. Hope you didn't get screwed.

freaksfix
03-08-2005, 02:48 AM
I was told by an old timer machinist that with weisco pistons u have to completely warm up the motor everytime u ride otherwise you will score it easier than u would a stock or Pro X piston. Has anyone heard this? He told me this after I had him bore my 83 250r motor I had 2 hrs on it when the bottom end acted up. When I pulled it apart it showed signs of scoring already. He said I didn't warm it up properly, but I let it sit and idle low for 15 mi then drove it slowly for 30 min then shut it down let it cool then started all over again. Has anyone heard of this?

If it went that quick someone didnt check the rod and crank bearings when the top end was off, then one of the bearings let loose causing the scoring.... I assuming by "the bottom end acted up" you mean lowwer end bearings......

But back to the topic I have never had any probs with a wiseco other than like Tim said installation error or not inspecting everything befor the rebuild......... Sad to say I have done both my self, so ive learned from my mistakes..........

resto250r
03-08-2005, 02:58 AM
I havn't pulled that motor back apart it was "skippin" in 3rd gear if I shifted passed it it would do fine. Don't know if this helps but it was scoring on the intake side, he said it shouldn't do that unless it wasn't warmed properly. How do u all warm yours up?

NOS_350X
03-08-2005, 11:21 AM
Well theres a wiesco in every bike i own (that ive had to replace a piston in). I just lost the first one in my brothers 750 kawi jetski, but it had been in there for over 8 years, and its a 2 stroke.

8 years a piston was in a pinger. Ive never SEEN any other piston last longer, and until i do ill keep putting wiesco in my stuff.