PDA

View Full Version : Pres Day Flash Flood

a-camp
03-06-2005, 12:29 PM
Well had a great day Fri in the Dunes. Sat. rode over to hill and spanked some 250 Suzuki quads and a Raptor with a bad rider on my 86R. New 300 kit on 84 air cooled was running good on top end just crapping out on mid. Well I just was getting ready to start working on it back at camp and A large dark black cloud 4 miles wide , lit up with elec. with two tails out the bottem started heading our way from Brawley. Our camp is 13 miles from asphalt and through about 20 washes. We have 10 or so toy boxes and motorhomes in our group. We were all watching it and wondering the storm was heading our way. About an hour later the edge of it hit with hail, lightning, and 3 inches or rain in 45 min. Well, the main part of the storm hit the Chocolate Mountains a few miles away with about eight inches . It all came to us in large rivers . Our camp filled like a lake. I gave up on my trailer unloaded it and held up in my bros RV with the fam. I ended up having a change of heart and pulling the trailer out in the heat of it. Road to camp looked like Kern River. Some of us got out Sunday with 4WD. Others waited for the road to dry up a little, with their masive Weekend Warriors hooked up. The park service flew over Sat. and sent 2 graders down the road Mon just before the next storm. I was robbed 1 good ride!!! Not a Drop of rain 13 miles away in Glamis. More flooding on the way home in Niland area and Palm Desert. WATCH THE SKY IN THE DESERT. See pictures at www.glamisdragdoll.com

mymint87
03-06-2005, 02:34 PM
crazey stuff.......nice webpage......I just finished a contract on a Gym out in Niland about a year or so ago and got a chance to spin off to Slab City while I was there...Niland is a VERY BLIGHTED AREA for sure... :( :(

MTS
03-06-2005, 03:22 PM
look at it this way....least you didnt have to clean the bikes after haha

Maine_Triker
03-06-2005, 03:23 PM
That is one heck of a rain cloud!!!!

Rex Karz
03-06-2005, 08:16 PM
That same hailstorm passed through Bakersfield and left some spots in 4 - 6 inches of ice.