PDA

View Full Version : red honda paint

mbubbac
03-05-2005, 09:30 PM
where can i find red paint to match the paint on my fenders on my 90 so i can repaint the tank because its all rusted

Maine_Triker
03-05-2005, 09:33 PM
HMMMM... I've been told that GM RED matches the honda red pretty close. Haven't actually tried it yet tho.

renotrikeguy
03-05-2005, 09:41 PM
From a previous posting:

The paint code you would be needing is as follows.

The Honda paint code for Hondas Passion Red is : R109

R109 however is an acrylic enamel paint. Its not as tough as base coat clear coat. So I went with the better paint.

The PPG cross refferenced paint code for R109 is : 74718

This is the same color as R109 except its a basecoat / clearcoat paint job.
My tank and sidecovers came out unbelievable. The color is excellent and the shine is like glass. You can see your reflection in it. I will try and figure out how to upload pics tommorow. I will take some for ya. www.hyperparts.com has the rear fenders for $130 and the front for $58. And you can order the rear trunk lid straight from Maier-mfg for $38 shipped (US). Go check it out at www.maier-mfg.com

chris200x
03-05-2005, 09:48 PM
I would not recommend using chevy red. That's the route I took and ended up with an orange frame. Take a look at the pics. Do a search on the forums, someone posted the exact match for Honda red a while back.

ClayW
03-05-2005, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the props. Hey just a heads up. I went up to pick somemore "Red" paint the other day, and the price and availability had changed. A Qt of Honda passion red was going to be $155. :eek: Yes I brought a spare set of underwear. So I said hell no. Too much money. So I had my painted sidecover in hand for a match. After about 30 min of looking thru 4 catalogs 10" think full of colors. I found a PERFECT color match. It is the 2004 GM Super Red. Its a perfect match. Perfect. I have just finished a tank and sidecovers for PatBlackwell and they are dead on the same color. Oh yeah, and the best part. A Qt of this is only $55. Much better. And thats for the base coat. $55. Clear was extra $32. The GM red I used isnt near as orange looking as that frame. :beer Let me know if you want the paint code.

mbubbac
03-05-2005, 09:59 PM
i thought of doing a crazy paint job with some spray paint, i was thinking of the frame being red and ill paint the fork fenders and tank black and leave the chrome, how do you think this would looke

chris200x
03-05-2005, 10:01 PM
That's cause I'm cheap!!! lol I seen those prices and I too wet myself. I went with $7 a can chevy red engine paint. I don't know what I was thinkin. But I figured its only the frame and it's gonna get beat up anyway. The cap on the can sure looked pretty close to the red I wanted to use. Anyone Know off hand what color white was used for the 200x tanks? I would like sometime to redo mine, but I don't have access to a spray gun without taking it to a shop. I guess that can get pretty expensive huh?

ClayW
03-05-2005, 10:07 PM
If I have materials on hand, I could do it for you for a reasonable price. It gets expensive when I have to buy new stuff. I also found a good match for the white. Its GMs Super White. Perfect match. GM paint codes seem to work out good. ;) Any way I am going to be reapainting my spare 350x tanks shortly. Good thing with the white is it usually runs $28. Red and Black is expensive to buy. White isnt too bad. Yeah that paint you bought is GM engine block red I bet. Thats why it has that hint of orange. Man I dont know about that paint job scheme your asking about. Im a original look kinda guy. I dont pimp my rides. LOL :p

chris200x
03-05-2005, 10:11 PM
When you get to do a tank let me see your work and give me a price. We'll take it from there. OK

ClayW
03-05-2005, 10:19 PM
Heres some pics of the tank and sidecovers I just did for Pat. The light wasnt the best in either pic but I think you can get the Idea from them. ;) :beer

200xman
03-05-2005, 10:25 PM
A fair match for Honda red is Plastikote Ford red engine paint. It is pretty close and holds up real well. The # is 206

chris200x
03-05-2005, 10:33 PM
Sweet! Those are Honda decals on that tank right? I will have to take into consideration your price and the cost of shipping, then do a little research locally. You are definitly capable that's for sure.

mbubbac, sorry for bustin in on your thread like that.

ClayW
03-05-2005, 10:37 PM
Its all good info for everyone. Yeah they are some reproduction decals that Harlan Lysne made for me. They are identical to OEM. Harlan is the man when it comes to decals. I bought them for Pat and installed them for him. No bubbles. LOL.

Huffa
03-05-2005, 11:35 PM
Clay W..........Nice job! In the side panel I can actually see you taking the picture I think? Now that's a shine!

Gas tank (not that it matters) there is a house maybe?

I don't know much about paint (actually anything) but does the plastic demand a more pliable batch to spray with (maybe not as much hardner)? How do you mix it verses the metal paint?

ClayW
03-05-2005, 11:39 PM
Yeah thats what you see. Yours truly. And the neighbors house. LOL :p