PDA

View Full Version : big problems with the z

hiflyintri-z
03-04-2005, 01:23 AM
ok i am kind of new here so here it goes. i have a 1985 tri-z 250 i just got through building the motor(all new bearings, seals,rod,piston,bore) :D while i was breaking the new motor the motor died. :mad: well i checked the gas which was good, i checked the compression it was good to, but when i pulled the spark plug i had no spark :mad: i sure hope it isn't the stator $329.00 :( or the cdi $165.99 wow!!!! does anyone know how to test these? it could be a number of things so any help would be great :TrikesOwn

thomas wessels

Derrick Adams
03-04-2005, 09:54 AM
Before you do anything else, put in a new plug and try it. It's not uncommon to foul a plug right away when breaking in a new engine.
If that doesn't fix it, I would do all the free stuff like checking connections. Make sure your ground id good at the coil as well.

hiflyintri-z
03-04-2005, 12:03 PM
when i pulled the plug it was jetted perfect but i tried two new plugs and still had nothing
so i really dont know what to do next? :(

hiflyintri-z
03-04-2005, 09:19 PM
well i talked to my yamaha man and he told me that the flywheel nut sometimes comes loose and breaks the half moon key off :( . so i pulled the cover off and the nut torqued to specs had indeed loosend and the key had broke :( so i will get the key tommorow and fire it up :D thanks for your help everyone happy wheelin to all :beer

TimSr
03-04-2005, 09:59 PM
The woodruff key is less than $2 so get an extra one or two and keep in your toolbox. It is a common problem. I ended up using locktite all over the shift where the flywheel seats as well as on the nut threads, and havent had a problem since.

03 ORANGE SHEE
03-04-2005, 11:51 PM
could be the coil or even the $3 spark plug cap, i stock all those parts if you need pre- tested electrical stuff

J.D.
03-06-2005, 01:39 AM
The woodruff key is less than $2 so get an extra one or two and keep in your toolbox. It is a common problem. I ended up using locktite all over the shift where the flywheel seats as well as on the nut threads, and havent had a problem since.

Sounds about right. Mine broke when I went out to Dumont, in a pinch you can file it down some and put it in upside down to salvage some riding time....that is, until you blow a head gasket.(man that was a bad day....)

Darius1502
03-06-2005, 01:45 AM
SS...

How do you 'blow a head gasket'? I mean with the head bolted in...what actually happens?

The last time I took my Z to the dunes it was overheating....crazy things!

hiflyintri-z
03-06-2005, 01:56 AM
well i got the z up and running i got it good and broke in and myself as wellas my buddies and girlfriend are headed to the little sahara for a little sunday afternoon fun :) :):):) happy wheelin to all Thomas wessels

fattri-z
03-06-2005, 02:03 AM
I've gone thru a couple head gaskets. They are 3 layers thick and the middle layer seems to go on them. I've found that OEM head gaskets are more durable than cheaper copies. Anyone try a YZ head gasket? How are they constructed compared to Tri-zs?

Glad your trike is going hifly. I haven't had a problem with my flywheel. I see there is a special tool to remove the flywheel for sale on ebay. Is it really needed?

hiflyintri-z
03-06-2005, 02:33 AM
yup it sure is i have a friend with a banshee who tried to pull the fly wheel with a standard triple armed puller and bent the fly wheel which would really suck cause on the tri-z you can't hardly find one and when you do there so expesive so if i were u and had to pull the fly wheel again i would invest in one my buddy who owns a cycle shop loaned me his but i will still probaly end up buying one in the end hope i helped you out :)

happy wheelin
thomas wessels

MTS
03-06-2005, 04:40 AM
hmmm this is good to hear! so i might not have a fried stator,,,hmm