PDA

View Full Version : Valve guides 200es....

dblshockpower
03-03-2005, 01:46 PM
difficult fix? I'm getting smoke 20 seconds after a very cold start then it stops....it's weird because the exhaust header seems to be holding combustables cause it starts clean and when enough heat is generated I get the smoke, and plenty of it, but just for a minute or minute and a half and it's all over. Anyone seen this behaviour from a 200 four stroke?

bigredhead
03-03-2005, 02:06 PM
My 200 ES does the same thing.

black smoke until warmed up good, then it stops.

I checked the compression and i get 150 PSI and it keeps, it does not drop. so i'm not entirely sure.

4cylinders
03-03-2005, 03:18 PM
hey, sounds more like a fuel problem. the carb overfills when the engine's not running. when you start it the excess fuel burns off first.

bigredhead
03-03-2005, 03:23 PM
Not in my ES's case, cuz the black smoke comes for a good 10 minutes.

K1500
03-03-2005, 04:02 PM
dblshock what color is your smoke? If its black and the engine sounds like its loading up, thats gas. If its blueish gray thats oil. Worn guides and seals could cause the oil smoking when you first start it up. A friend of mine has an old 200sx quad that does that, you can't see behind it when he fires it cold. His could stand a ring job also but I think most of his is the guides and seals.

dblshockpower
03-03-2005, 05:50 PM
It's blueish but dicipates very quickly and it's blowing right out of the exhaust header seams too..almost like there is fuel accumulating inside the pipe then combusting when the temp comes up thus the 20sec. lag before the smoke starts..does that help?..I never noticed this until I replaced the Cobra exhaust system with a new oem pkg.

dblshockpower
03-04-2005, 01:00 AM
I'm starting to think this engine is carboned up from not running it hard, maybe the valve isn't closed tite and gravity would take the fuel right in the header pipe where it sits til I start her up again and ignite it...I'll run some 15w-40 Rotella-T & Seafoam this spring and should clear all the gooped up crap deposits then change it out to 5w-40 Delvac1 for a final cleaning before running Yamaha 20w-40 if that doesn't solve the issue I'll look to the valave seals.

HaggLE
03-04-2005, 04:59 AM
Sounds like valve stem seals to me... There cheap so its worth a shot.