PDA

View Full Version : Insurance & titles for Three Wheelers

grundlegrabber
03-03-2005, 12:12 AM
I saw a thread awhile back where some guys were asking about what companies are willing to insure trikes. A good friend of mine is an insurance agent and he can insure them. He gave me a quote on a basic policy for an '86 ATC250R. About $135 per year. You can also add collision (covers repairs if you roll it), theft, and just about anything else you want. He can insure bikes in PA and maybe some surrounding states. If anyone is interested email me, robmanero@comcast.net, or just PM me and I'll put you in touch with him.

If anyone is looking to get a title for their wheeler, go to www.broadwaytitle.com . They can get you a title for just about any machine '88 and older. I did this for an XL600 and was amazed at how quickly I had a PA title for the bike in my hands.

Lots_Of_Nothing
03-03-2005, 12:16 AM
Wait.. Explain this to me.. I have NEVER insured/registered a atv in my life.. So insurance for a 80's machine works the same as a car/truck insurance? if you wreck it, they repair it? and insurance will go up of course? I may just have to look into that if that is the way it works, otherwise I have no need for it.

Tri-ZNate
03-03-2005, 12:18 AM
Wait.. Explain this to me.. I have NEVER insured/registered a atv in my life.. So insurance for a 80's machine works the same as a car/truck insurance? if you wreck it, they repair it? and insurance will go up of course? I may just have to look into that if that is the way it works, otherwise I have no need for it.

ok by law in PA at least anything 1987 or older is not required to be licenced or insured, but in NY I think you are required to have insurance. Dont quote me on that. 350x'inNY would know.

Lots_Of_Nothing
03-03-2005, 12:23 AM
Well around here its not real strict, I ride from city to city, woods, trails, roads (and even on the side of some highways), stop at public gas stations and stores.. Cops really dont care, almost all roads up here have the ATV sign.. I have never felt the need to get insured/registed... Just wondering how it works.

thefox
03-03-2005, 12:25 AM

Well the book value on the trike is probably low so they would just total it out after one roll. In NY all atv's have to be registered. Insurance is needed if you ride anywhere other then your own land.

twgranger
03-03-2005, 09:25 AM
ok by law in PA at least anything 1987 or older is not required to be licenced or insured, but in NY I think you are required to have insurance. Dont quote me on that. 350x'inNY would know.
Yes in NY you are required to have insurance and plates if you want to ride anywere besides your own property. It cost me $60 for insurance for 1 year for my Z and $14 for plates.

rustbucket
03-03-2005, 09:33 AM
Wow that blows in michigan all you need is a $16 orv sticker and you'r good for all the state trails. I'm glad we don't have these laws because 99% of the stuff i own doesn't have a title.

bigredhead
03-03-2005, 10:00 AM
Oh hell.. last night i went riding around in the snow, got 20 cm of the white stuff.

I got to a road crossing and the plow had gone thru and left a 2 ft tank, i saw a car comming so i stoped about 20 ft short, did'nt want to get hung up on the bank with a car comming.

As i'm sitting there idling, a white unmarked cop car drives by slows right down, my blood pressure got real high... but he kept driving, must not have wanted to get out of the car in the storm !!! ( It was bad.. could barely see 10 ft in front of my when drivin ) so as soon as he passed, i waited a bit for him to get out of range and gased it over the bank, drove home and parked it. pronto !

If he had stopped, i would have got off the bike and taken my dues.. but my brother in law being an RCMP informed me that in NewBrunswick Canada, you get stopped without registration, insurance, etc.. on a public road, = 1200 $.

10 minutes after i parked it, i go to get my mail, and who's driving by but a marked card slowly down the road.. i'm sure he could see the tire tracks in my driveway, but he kept going..

phew.

ScottZJ
03-03-2005, 10:01 AM
In TN there are no laws stating that ATV's are required to have insurance. I do have all my ATV's coverd by paying 160$ every 6 months. I do this mainly cuz, if I were out riding in a park and ended up hitting someones car or quad and they demand that you pay for it. The insurance will cover up to 150,000$. So I just have it as a safety measure, to keep from someone taking my stuff...........peace

twgranger
03-03-2005, 10:54 AM
Wow that blows in michigan all you need is a $16 orv sticker and you'r good for all the state trails. I'm glad we don't have these laws because 99% of the stuff i own doesn't have a title.
You don't need a title to get plates. you just fill out a Proof Of Ownership Form. That's what i had to do since i have no title.

crackshot
03-03-2005, 01:11 PM
titles? insurance? not here man!

MIK6
03-03-2005, 05:39 PM
TWGRANGER.. What is the deal w/ the proof of ownership form?? I want to register my P3 (scrambler) and atleast 1 T3 (tecate) for TugHill this year. I have the Prarie700 registered/ insured but I would love to do a poker run w/ a trike.

MIK6 / Mike

350x'inNY
03-03-2005, 06:21 PM
Steve (YZ250#1) and I did a Dice run back last fall. It was South of Salamanca. I took the Showgirl, so I had the tag on the back, but they didn't check for insurance. Steve's 350X and numerous others didn't have tags either. Had a great time! Ask the organizer whether they require tags and insurance. This one we basically signed our life away at the start, and had a great 35 mile run at it and a Chicken BBQ at the end!

Bruce

MIK6
03-03-2005, 06:39 PM
TugHill requires tags. The last ride I did up there was 165 miles in 1 day w/ 7ish bar stops LOL. I have been stoped a few times durring rides on the hill.

MIK6 / Mike

twgranger
03-03-2005, 06:47 PM
TWGRANGER.. What is the deal w/ the proof of ownership form?? I want to register my P3 (scrambler) and atleast 1 T3 (tecate) for TugHill this year. I have the Prarie700 registered/ insured but I would love to do a poker run w/ a trike.

MIK6 / Mike
Go to the dmv and ask the ladie at the desk and she will tell you all about it. Lie on the form if you have to, i did. The proof of ownership is to show that it is your's but you have no title. I forgot what the form says.

threewheelin-feelin
03-03-2005, 08:48 PM
you dont have t have anything here in virginia :w00t: :w00t:

twgranger
03-03-2005, 09:49 PM
you dont have t have anything here in virginia :w00t: :w00t:
your lucky :p

leprogle
03-04-2005, 12:01 PM
I live in New Brunswick, and yeah, I've heard it's a few pretty hefty fines for no regi, or insurance, however, being a three-wheeler, "more dangerous, and tippy or something" so they say, gets the same rate as the same motor class motorcycle, If I was to get insurance it would cost me ----------------$560!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that is insane

bigredhead
03-04-2005, 12:09 PM
I live in New Brunswick, and yeah, I've heard it's a few pretty hefty fines for no regi, or insurance, however, being a three-wheeler, "more dangerous, and tippy or something" so they say, gets the same rate as the same motor class motorcycle, If I was to get insurance it would cost me ----------------$560!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that is insane

I know how you feel man !!

i had it out with " Champlain Insurance " already !!!! here in moncton.

twgranger
03-04-2005, 12:55 PM
that is insane
That is crazy!! I paid $65 for the year for insurance.