PDA

View Full Version : going to look at a tecate

90nut
03-02-2005, 11:32 PM
I am going to look at an 85 tecate on friday. It has a newer top end and is said to run. When it starts it just revs to the sky. He says it has an airleak but I dont know. Are there any problem area I should look at on it like frames breaking in certain spots, cracked swing arms? He says his dad used to race them back in the 80's but I don't know if he raced this one or not. Let me know what you guys think.

1984kxtTECATE
03-02-2005, 11:37 PM
Tecate's are built pretty stout, I would give it a test ride just to make sure nothing is wrong with drivabilty, check the rear sprocket, I would check the raditor too, this is just basic stuff, good luck on your purchase, these trike's are powerhouses.

1984kxtTECATE
03-03-2005, 12:08 AM
Oh yea check the brakes too, test them at varius pressure to make sure it wont go out on you, you want to make sure most parts on it are good, because Its getting very diffcult to find parts for them

MIK6
03-03-2005, 05:26 PM
Tecates are a great trike. I am sure you will love it once you ride it!!
I would check a few things, T3 are known to blow flywheels/stators. If it has no spark thats the problem, w/ RickeyStator selling them again that is all taken care of. I also check the swinger behind the sprocket, when they spit the chain they could rip the front of the swinger. I would look very closely at the intake boot, they are rubber and require a thin style clamp. The boot can dryrot very easy, and if you run a radiator style clamp the clamp cuts into the intake and lets air in. This will lean out the motor and most likely blow up.
I love T3s, I got 3 complete rite now. Once you go green you can never go back LOL.

GOOD LUCK
MIK6 / Mike

90nut
03-03-2005, 11:33 PM
It is suposed to run right now but once you start it it just revs up. It has a newer top end in it so I am hoping the wide open after starting is the needle came up to far and came off of the seat. I will let you guys know what I find out tomorrow.

jenndnn3
03-04-2005, 09:59 AM
I had spark on the one I picked up and the stator was still bad. If you can take a multi reader and get a readout.

90nut
03-05-2005, 12:05 AM
I went to look at it today and it is in alright condition. He painted the plastic red but it really dosen't look that terrible. It will need some work, it needs the intake boot because it has a big rip in it. On the 85's do they look like the 84's or are they different? It has the drum front brake and the frame is black. Is the frame supposed to be black? I think he just painted it. I want to just get it running right before I start stripping it and painting it and getting plastic for it. DOes any one have a pic of a stock 85?

Dammit!
03-05-2005, 12:23 AM
Drum brake = '84

1984kxtTECATE
03-05-2005, 12:31 AM
I went to look at it today and it is in alright condition. He painted the plastic red but it really dosen't look that terrible. It will need some work, it needs the intake boot because it has a big rip in it. On the 85's do they look like the 84's or are they different? It has the drum front brake and the frame is black. Is the frame supposed to be black? I think he just painted it. I want to just get it running right before I start stripping it and painting it and getting plastic for it. DOes any one have a pic of a stock 85?

If you do purchase it you can convert the front to a disc brake, thats what has been done to mine, 85's do look just like 84's execpt for the drum brake like dammit said, there are pics at 3wheelerworlds home page, just browse the photo's or somthin and you will come to it. Good luck, BTW im going to get another 84 Tecate from Blazerone22 tomarrow, I cant wait, Dave seems like a real cool guy.

skippy
03-05-2005, 12:54 AM
im selling a 86-87 (in pieces) roller soon.. so if your close to maryland.. hold off and grab mine!!!

Jeb
03-05-2005, 01:18 AM
84-85 Stock frame color is black.

90nut
03-05-2005, 11:00 AM
Well skippy I am in Indiana so I don't think that it would be woth my time do drive out there unless it was cheap. I have to drive 10 minutes for this one. Any ways, I called kawasaki dealer today and they siad the bot I need is 42 dollars. It needs the boot from the carb to the engine and the one rear tire needs a new valve stem. DOes anyone know what an original tecate tire looks like? Saw a pic of one and mine has the same tires as that but I don't know if they are original. GOt him talked down to 350 he wanted 600 for it. Whst is involved in swapping the disk front brake setup onto the 84? Thanks alot

1984kxtTECATE
03-05-2005, 11:26 AM
Ill double check with the guy I bought my Tecate from, but im sure in order to swap the brakes you will need, 85 front disc, caliper, brake line, clamps, and front master cylinder. I also belive you will need the 85 wheel hub- but I am not a 100% on this, I would get the 85 brake parts first and see if they will fit on the 84. Also see if the forks on the 84 have a mounting spot for the caliper (2 holes spaced out a little at the bottom left hand fork) I will get further detial tonight.

tecatecrazy
03-05-2005, 12:11 PM
you willl need pretty much the whole front end including: forks, hub, caliper,disc, wheel, master and brake line ;)

twgranger
03-05-2005, 12:22 PM
you willl need pretty much the whole front end including: forks, hub, caliper,disc, wheel, master and brake line ;)
That is alot to just change the front brakes. :eek: Is it worth it?