PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Z Riders------Post your pics and info here!

ATCRYDER
01-22-2003, 08:14 PM
Pics, Year, and mods! 8)

Tri-Z 490
01-22-2003, 09:07 PM
This is my 1985 Tri-Z its basically stock. It has an answer silencer and answer steel bars. I got holeshot XCT's on ITP aluminum rims(not pictured). as far as the motor goes I am guessing it is stock but I haven't had a chance to rip it down and look at it. All I know is that I beat a 2000 banshee in road race!!! It was close down low but I still had him but once I hit 5th it was all over. I have another Z That is black and red that ones not as fast but has plenty of power. I will try and get pics of tha one when it gets a little warmer out.

Tri-Z 490
01-22-2003, 09:08 PM
Here is another pic

Tri-Z_Jim
01-22-2003, 10:01 PM
Mods.. The red Z(1985) was owned and raced(3x in 85) by a yamaha dealer.It has some minor engine mods,still has the stock piston/ring.The pipe is an aftermarket pipe made by yamaha that only a few others have.DG silencer,boyesen reeds,uni twin filter.
The Blue Z(1985) I bought in 2000 in boxes(80% complete).I drove 11 hrs one way to pick it up.I restored it to the way it is in the pic.It took about 5 wks to complete......its never done,I'm always adding things to it .polishing.painting.etc The motor was taken from a tri-z donor in running condition so I dont really know whats done to it.
I only ride them about once every 2 or 3 months.The red Z has quite a bit more nads then the blue Z.I keep them almost spotless and well armoralled,waxed or whatever. Wheels are always being switched around with the blaster,so if you see dirt on the tires it came from my blaster.
The original Tri-Z stickers are in excellent condition too,blue one is a lil tore up on 1 side and most all the other stickers are good too.The seatcovers are CEET,Blaster fits tri-z too.
I also have 2 disassembled Z's and enuff parts to keep me going for awhile.
......I can talk Tri-Z's all nite ,just look at the pics :) These are some closeups,there are other pics elsewhere on the trike brd too.

Tri-Z_Jim
01-22-2003, 10:05 PM
The rear bumpers were made by Hagen,greenboy or whatever he calls himself these days.lol They fit perfectly Thanx Hagen

Tri-Z 490
01-22-2003, 10:06 PM
Whats a good tire for the front of the Z? my yellow ones tire just went(too Dry rotted)also What model dunlop is the front one stock?

Tri-Z_Jim
01-22-2003, 11:15 PM
The tire on the red Z is a dunlop.Not sure what model.I bought it from dennis kirk about 3 yrs ago.The blue Z is still has the original.If it wasnt -3 I would run out to the garage to get the model# for ya :)

200xer
01-23-2003, 12:17 AM
I have an 86 Z that I'm fixing up. I haven't had much time lately though :( I have been able to ride it around a little, just to make sure it runs. My pic is in my avatar

Jeb
01-23-2003, 10:08 AM
Here's my '85 with the following:

UFO Disc/Fork Guard, Screen Number Plate, MX Bars, Pro-Grips, Twist Throttle, "Air-Box" Fuel Cell, Bill's Pipe, CT Silencer, Boyessen Reeds, Clamp-On UNI Filter, 14 Tooth C/S Sprocket, +2" West Coast Swingarm, 2.5" Hub Spacers, and 18x11-8 Turf Tamer Knobbies on stock Z rims.

Yes, no chain in the picture. It has one now. :-D

It runs great. If anything is done to the motor internally, I don't know, I haven't had to get into it. It's kind of an ol' Motocross 3 wheeler replica, but I need to add an extended axle and re-install the tether kill switch to complete it. I also have a 38mm Mikuni Flatslide laying around that used to be on my 84 Tecate. I'd like to get it on the Z too in the near future since the 84 is history and the carb is just laying around. I also have some reprint giant Tri-Z decals for the rear fenders. But I don't think the fender on it now is nice enough to use the decals on and I'll probably end up putting number plate background and numbers back on it.

Oh, & the best mod of all: The JT red lightning bolt decals on the airbox (or fuel tank) cover!

:-D

Jeroboam7
01-23-2003, 12:19 PM
Here is my lone Yamaha

Its has a YZ Sleeve, and Piston, Head Shaved, Ported and Polished, 38 mm TM Carb, K&N & Outerwear, DG Pipe and now an FMF Silencer! And a 4" Extended swing arm Courtesy of HAGAN or Greenboy or That Guy from over the big pond!!

Jeroboam7
01-23-2003, 12:20 PM
Another Blurry One

Tri-Z 490
01-23-2003, 04:23 PM
i just bought a DG pipe for mine how muc h better then stock are they? Can you still get other Brands for it? I want to get some boyesen power reeds with the pipe and then get a K&N clamp on for it, But what kind of jetting is needed? how much quiker will it go then? Also how is the port and polish do on the performance?

TimSr
01-23-2003, 04:48 PM
Ive got a DG on mine, and it seemed to improve the bottom end, with no noticeable change anywhere else. The Boysen Power Reeds seemed to improve throttle response and top end. The K&N is easier to service, and doesnt begin to glog as soon as stock , but this is not a performance modification. The reeds make it run a touch richer, while the pipe had little effect on carburetion, and I did drop the needle to avoid plug fouling on trails, but Ive never had to tough the stock jetting. Ive also been through .20", .40, .60, .80 overbores twice, which has not required a change in carburetion either. Since it easily pulls the front end up in any gear, whether I want it to or not, and will climb like a billy goat, Ive never even considered to bother porting it.

Jeroboam7
01-23-2003, 05:31 PM
Tim,

You know the reason for porting so don't pretend you don't, its for absolutely no traction anywhere!!! LOL And so you can throw large piles of earth up in the air and not move, therefore eliminating that wheelie problem.

Porting can do anything from giving the bike more low end or it will turn it into an top end screamer, it all depends on what you want and who you have do it. Like Tim I rarely if ever change jetting usually main jet is a 430 with the 38mm Carb, when I hit the sand piles I go up to a 450 main just so I don't burn it up! As Tim said the DG pipe is basically a stock replacement pipe I doubt you are going to get any vast improvement out of it! If you want a different pipe you will need to talk someone into making it for you, and a one off pipe won't be cheap! The cheapest mod to make it go faster is to have someone mill the head.

theeechozen1
01-23-2003, 05:54 PM
I would talk to the guys over at FTZ, they will make you a custom pipe with noticable power increase for around 3 bills

Tri-Z 490
01-23-2003, 10:46 PM
I am interested in doing alot of mods does anyone know about what parts are interchangeble from a banshee and a raptor that will make my Z better? I saw that Raptors have aluminum swingarms will one fit on my Tri-Z? How are LRD pipes I know they are expensive but are they any good? Thanks

TimSr
01-23-2003, 10:50 PM
But the question is , where is the power increase and where do you want it. Everybody likes to say "get a pipe" but the fact of the matter is, unless your stock pipe has some kind of restriction, a pipe will not give you more power. It simply adjusts the power band to where you want it. Personally, I feel most two strokes have more power at the top end than a rider can use, and try to bring some of it down to the low end, but popular opinion seems to be put a top end pipe on everything. I dont understand it, but I know every time I race MX on my stock R with a low end pipe, I get a really good holeshot over all these highly modified machines.
FTZ has a good reputation for building quality pipes, but before laying out that kind of money, Id strongly suggest deciding exactly what is is you wish to accomplish with it, ie more low end, top end or midrange. If anybody tells you their pipe gives you more power throughout the whole range, they are either hyping their product beyond reality, or they just plain dont know any better.

Tri-Z 490
01-23-2003, 11:13 PM
http://www.motorcities.com/contents/01DF9252790791.html
is thier any truth to this 1987 Tri-Z it isnt in the US so i have no idea?

TimSr
01-23-2003, 11:22 PM
Nope, they are mistaken. Its an 85. With the 85's being 5 speed, and 86's being a 6 speed, if there was such a beast in foreign lands as an 87, it would not have reverted back to a 5 speed.

theeechozen1
01-24-2003, 11:47 AM
Point taken Tim, I always assume that everyone is a duner like me and I am always looking for more top end :-D but with a good port job you can put the power whereever youd like. Remember when you make an assumption you make an ass out of you and umption! ;)

Tri-Z_Jim
01-25-2003, 02:25 AM
I expected to see more pics here by now,Where's all lthe Zriders at??

TimSr
01-25-2003, 03:04 PM
Alright Jim, you asked for it!

http://home.neo.rr.com/timtim/triza.jpg

The rest of it!

http://home.neo.rr.com/timtim/trizb.jpg

Tweeked
01-25-2003, 06:43 PM
Want more?

These arn't mine but owell. I'm posting them anyways.

Here is a link to some cool Trike pics. too. www.quadpit.com/3wheels.html

Along with the first 2 pics Tri-Z Below is allot of info on what the owner did in restoring it.

Enjoy-

Heres All about the first two pics:

"Here is my 1985 Yamaha Tri-Z 250 that I just finished restoring. Restoration included stripped frame, sandblasted and professionally painted with Dupont paint. I also have the swingarm, forks, foot pegs, steering holders sandblast and Dupont painted. Other stuff I painted myself, you can do wonders with patience and some good quality spray paint. The engine is pretty much stock but it has some bolt on mods. Modifications include OEM Yamaha piston bored .010 over, Boyesen Pro Series Power Reeds, Maxxis Razr rear tires mounted on Douglas red label .190 wheels, Maxxis All Track front tire on the OEM wheel, Barnet Kevlar Clutch Kit, UNI Air Filter, Motion Pro twist throttle and terminator clutch cable, PRM Grab Bar, OMF Swingarm Skid Plate, Dura Blue Wheel Spacers, Sunstar front and rear sprockets and X-Ring RK Chain. A chrome LRD pipe/silencer combo and a Mikuni TMX 36mm carb were added in March 2002. I am still playing with the TMX jetting but I think I am almost there. The most accurate method for checking the main jet (where seizures occur) is to do a "plug chop". After the last plug chop the porcelain of the spark plug was a light brown color, similar to a paper bag and it was running very strong, almost scary. After a lot of weekend work it finally has come together. I think right now the trike is looking better than what it was looking about seven or eight years ago. I just had the cylinder and ported and polished and modified the head. I also bored the cylinder 0.30 over and installed a Wiseco Pro-Lite Piston kit. The top end is already broken in, now I need to tune the carb again with the new piston and ported top end. If you want to take a look at the parts, click here. Now what I want to get is an 88 or 89 Fourtrax 250R to give the Z some company. They just don't make ATV's like in the old days anymore."

PS> Heres another cool link to an article on the Tri-Z: www.3wheeler.org/3wheeling/ 12-84~pg38.html

Tweeked
01-25-2003, 06:48 PM
...more....

theeechozen1
01-27-2003, 01:06 PM
How do I get my pics to work, it sez max size is 98k and my pics won't post @ 154k or so, How do I get them to work???

theeechozen1
01-27-2003, 01:18 PM
tryin again :rolleyes:

theeechozen1
01-27-2003, 01:19 PM
can someone resize these for me

Tweeked
01-27-2003, 02:54 PM
I can, Send them to me by email and I will cut them to size and post them for you.

My email address is Renegades436@aol.com

Thanks, See ya.

-Mike

Tweeked
01-27-2003, 04:45 PM
Hey I got your pics and shaved them down, I tried to keep as much of the photo as possible. thats a sweet @$$ trike! Here ya go.

Enjoy.

theeechozen1
01-27-2003, 04:59 PM
Thanx alot Tweeked!!, I've been fighting to get some pics up for a while
It looks much better when it's put together :oops:
1986 TRI-RZ
1985 rz-350 motor all original YPVS (yamaha power valve system)
rz wiring harness and stator
banshee boost bottle and reeds, intakes
uni pod filters
polished axle, swingarm, frame, fork tubes, handlebars, clamps, toomey rz pipes, sprocket, carrier
17/64 gearing (stock rz gearing would make this beast do 120 m.p.h !!!
250r hubs
dick cepeck 22x14.50-8 16 paddle haulers, shaved front dunlop
Fun bike, but if you want to turn you have to plan ahead--really likes to wheelie everywhere :D

Tweeked
01-27-2003, 07:14 PM
SSWWWWEEETTTT, Man that thing looks like a BULLET!

Jeb
01-27-2003, 07:58 PM
:shock: Hey theeechozen1, that's awesome! can't wait to see it together. :-D :-D

Just out of curiousity, how come you run the forks turned around to where the axle is on the front side of the forks, instead of behind like a stock Z?

theeechozen1
01-27-2003, 08:11 PM
It gives a little more stretch, The idea of this bike was to make it have a low center of gravity, I dunno if that helps at all but I'm too lazy to change it back, seems to do alright ;)

theeechozen1
01-28-2003, 07:21 PM
Now I know how to post my own photos!! I am invinsible :twisted:

atc's
01-28-2003, 09:03 PM
how many mods to the frame did you have to make to put that rz in.

Rod
01-29-2003, 01:31 AM
here is a small one of mine. All stock execpt a dycorp silencer & rear tires.
The other one was my brothers about 1986. It was farily built. That is the bike I learned to ride on.

theeechozen1
01-29-2003, 02:03 PM
The frame was cut one big section from just below the bars all the way to the swingarm, 2 different sections of frame rails were put in to set the motor low and make it sit right, just like it does in the streetbike. its a snap to work on, just loosen the bolts with a floor jack under the motor then lower the jack and the whole frame and motor pivot. or you can pull the motor out on the frame rails and work on it then put it back in without ever taking the motor off the frame if you want, works out pretty good.