PDA

View Full Version : KLT160 no spark, can't figure it out!

blue83ranger
03-02-2005, 02:24 PM
On my 1985 klt 160 about in the middle '90's i was ridding it and it just died (lost spark) and it hasn't ran since. (it has a 185 motor in it with ALL electronics for the 160 on it) i decided to try to get it going again. and i can't figure out the problem. i have a Kawasaki repair manual for it, and checked EVERY electronic part on it and EVERYTHING checked out good. But for the coil i didn't have an electrometer to properly test it. but with an ohm meter it tests good, so i tried a known good coil (for a tecate though) and still no spark. all the wires look good, clean and aren't brittle or dirty, and all the plugs look good. if you turn the lights on they'll light up when you turn it over. but i have no clue on what to do to get this running again. i do have a parts 160 and tried the electronic parts from that (the parts it had) with no spark after that. does anyone have any thoughts on what i should do to get this running again? i had it for sale on ebay but it didn't sell, so i need to get it running first i guess. but if it does run i'll probably want to keep it. thanks for any help with this.

atckowalski
03-02-2005, 03:17 PM
Try checking all of the connections for corosion and also check your on/off switch to see that it is working properly.

dooner17
03-03-2005, 12:08 AM
I have a KLT160 and had the same problem. THe coil wasnt getting the right ground so we wrapped wreath wire around it and the frame and its run perfect ever since. The coil isnt the right one either its of a 185.

blue83ranger
03-04-2005, 10:36 PM
i checked all the connections and all of them are clean. i even used an ohm meter to make sure there is a good connection.

i'll check out the ground for the coil too. when it quite i was just driving it "normal" and it just died with no warning at all, just died.

blue83ranger
03-05-2005, 11:18 PM
well, the coil was getting a good ground (checked with an ohm meter) so i decided to take the stator cover off and check things out. didn't see any problems but for some reason i switched out the stator for the one in my other klt160 (mainly parts bike) and i noticed a wire that broke so i soldered it up and and set things together and turned it over a few times and it had great spark. so i put everthing back together and checked spark again and, its the best spark i've ever seen. literally can jump about an inch +. and after a few pulls it started up and purred great, and only after sitting for about 10 years. and i was right about one thing, i want to keep it now.

dooner17
03-05-2005, 11:25 PM
thats good to hear. Mine left me on the trail in the middle of nowhere today. I pushed it to the nearest road and called my dad. It was the wires comming from the bottom end. I already redid them once but it didnt hold. I dont have a solderer so i used a hot glue gun again.