PDA

View Full Version : repair manuals / oil changes

1shot
03-01-2005, 09:30 PM
I saw on ebay they have repair manuals on different trikes on CD, Are these worth having? Are they just like the regular manual's?
I just wondered if I should order one or get the actual book.

Till I get the needed manuals if someone could give tips on changing the oil on my 84 Big red 200es I would sure appreciate it. Checker has a fram filter for it in stock.
Is the filter a steel external filter like an automobile or is it inside the engine? :wondering

Thanks

jeswinehart
03-01-2005, 09:59 PM
i personaly prefer the paper back manuals. why ? i can take them out in the garage along side what i'm working on. or take them to work to copy and send off to friends here on the board. or make notes in them.
i would hate to print off each page as i need it ( grease marks on computer would not make my wife happy ) cuz the cost of ink per copy would easly pay for a hard bound copy.
and for what checker wants to sell a filter to you for a 200es ,,, okay i'm gonna be frank with you ,,,, 200es dont take a replaceable filter. you just clean out the gunk and put it back in. the same for the very neglected innner ( but less maintence ) inner screen ( need to pull side case off for that one ).

john

Tri-ZNate
03-01-2005, 10:01 PM
I'll be honest with you. I have one and if you dont have a fast computer dont get the CDs. If you computer is even remotly slow the pages will take forever if you try and scroll through the manual. The paper back manual is much nicer.

dblshockpower
03-01-2005, 10:21 PM
There is no oil filter on a 200es..LMAO!..I did get the cd and it is helpful along with the fliche @ service honda & parts fish..I'll post the linls if you don't already have them..another thing there's not a lot of 200es guy's on this thread it's mostly 200s/r/x/350x type MF's that could care less about utility trikes.

jeswinehart
03-01-2005, 10:25 PM
..another thing there's not a lot of 200es guy's on this thread it's mostly 200s/r/x/350x type MF's that could care less about utility trikes.[/QUOTE]

wrong ,,,, so wrong.

john

thefox
03-01-2005, 10:28 PM
there's not a lot of 200es guy's on this thread it's mostly 200s/r/x/350x type MF's that could care less about utility trikes.

hahahaha, that is the first time I have ever heard the 200s being grouped in with the R and the X's. :D

dblshockpower
03-01-2005, 10:29 PM
Shut up jes, these msgs. are mostly kids trying to hop-up some junk sht. 250r and you know it.

jeswinehart
03-01-2005, 10:58 PM
as most of us ,,, i like em all brother.

dblshockpower
03-01-2005, 11:23 PM
alright I owe a apology, I like all the posts too..just crabby again tonite jes.

1shot
03-02-2005, 01:49 AM
Ok, I'm confused. So the Big Red don't have an oil filter........just a "screen" right?

And you guys lost me on all the other posts. So what is it, A 200es isn't a "real" 3 wheeler or what? I get the distinct feeling everyone thinks the Big Red is a joke......or did I misunderstand what your saying.............?

kando
03-02-2005, 05:33 AM
Do a search on 250es vs 200 es, They are the best utility trike, not the best sport bike. 250es is better than 200es as it has rear suspension, and a better reverse. 200es is not as tippy, handles better,and has high/low trans. I'd prefer the 200es over all the trikes, but its just what I'm after. I'd prefer say trail riding over alll out performance. You just hear more about the 250 R, Z, TECATE as they are always zippin em up.

1shot
03-02-2005, 09:04 AM
I have checked it all out Kando, I really like the 200es but sometimes (rarely) wanted just a tad more power (I'm 6'3 & 275lbs.) the 250 es will fill the bill ok.
I live in the higher country in central AZ. and primarily ride through the forests and just do slower trail riding, the bike also doubles as a hunting vehicle so the utility trike suits "my" needs well and thats all I care about. If I rode dunes or raced or something then I might buy a 250r or 300 or something.

bigredhead
03-02-2005, 10:37 AM
Yo 1shot !

I got a 200 ES, and i like it, the 250 has ALOT more power, but takes getting used to for the seat height difference !!! LOL..

Start it up, let it warm up. ( to warm up the oil, it will flow easier ) then shut it down ( duh ) and then remove the big cover on the left hand side ( when sitting on it . ) behind the cover is a screen mesh and a spring, take note of how they come out, put them back in the same way..

Be aware that it's a PITA to get the cover back in place with the spring pushing against the cover..

Tip: put the cover in place and find in what position it catches the threads, then remove it, put the spring and mesh filter in place and screw the cover in. easier than trying tp push and try it full circle.

also remove the fill cap to help the oil flow...

make sure the RUN switch is OFF, and pull the pullcable a few times, more oil will come out usually.

really easy.

dblshockpower
03-02-2005, 11:04 AM
Since I've never rode a 200es (other than in my snow covered back yard) and I own two of them now...I was wondering what the top speed roughly is? anyone know what a comfortable cruising speed is?..like my 450s gets way too busy at 50mph but 35 feels and sounds workable. Another 200es feature that I like is you dont have to get to neutral to engage reverse...you have 5 reverse gears too! so if your in say 2ond just stop the wheels and flip it in rev and your in rev #2 gear..a real time saver.

bigredhead
03-02-2005, 11:27 AM
Mine did 76 km/h on a flat dirt road ( clocked on my neighbors Rancher 350 ) but will cruise comfortably at about 50 km/h.

I've never tried going from 2nd to reverse tho.. always went to N first...... hmmmm

dblshockpower
03-02-2005, 11:41 AM
Thanks,..sounds like the 200es's can keep up with Foreman 450s's perfectly. 47/31 mph. here in the states.

K1500
03-02-2005, 12:58 PM
1Shot, there are quite a few "utility" trike riders on here, I'm one myself. I have an 86 Big Red that I enjoy riding more than my Rubicon. It meets my needs for what I want out of a triike. There are a lot of younger guys on here with questions about big bore kits, pipes, what cool color should I paint my wheels, etc but its a great site. There just happens to be a lot of young guys that like to go fast on here. If you have questions hang in there, some of us "old" guys will get to ya. :D