PDA

View Full Version : Head & cam - what years & models will fit 84 200S?

Huffa
02-27-2005, 10:15 PM
Will these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4530628534&category=6755&sspagename=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4531125156&category=43977&sspagename=WDVW

short4stuff
02-27-2005, 10:24 PM
they will both work ..
all atc 185cc and 200cc head/cams will work .. except the 86-87 200x...
xr200 head will work .. xr185 will work ... many heads will interchange .. if it looks the same it probably is.

Huffa
02-27-2005, 10:33 PM
Your ABSOLUTLY , with out a DOUBT , POSITIVE about that ???????????????

Wonder how it effects the powerband with an XR cam. Faster revving and a bit more ponies up top but not quite as much down low? That's my guess anyway.

Is that from your expearince or just from reading these forums?

I noticed the TRX one has a manual decompression lever which I feel is a better set up (much simpler) then the auto-cable one on a stock 200s.

Not too often you see parts that nicely cleaned up from what I'm used to seeing......espeacialy the TRX 200 deal. HMMMMMM

short4stuff
02-27-2005, 10:37 PM
Your ABSOLUTLY , with out a DOUBT , POSITIVE about that ???????????????

Wonder how it effects the powerband with an XR cam. Faster revving and a bit more ponies up top but not quite as much down low? That's my guess anyway.

Is that from your expearince or just from reading these forums?

its from reading the forums .. but I mean look at the heads .. the are indentical in everyway.
I have read the porting is the same with all the 200 heads also.
I have personally had a 185 head and a 200 head apart .. they are indentical.
valves are the same size.

Huffa
02-27-2005, 10:47 PM
They "look" the same. I'm just a bit paranoid that up close something might be just a hair different and it won't fit so I really want to stress the point............. WILL IT FIT? You sound quite sure of yourself and sure a few others will post too.

Thank you so much!

-Paranoid Huffa :D

short4stuff
02-27-2005, 10:53 PM
They "look" the same. I'm just a bit paranoid that up close something might be just a hair different and it won't fit so I really want to stress the point............. WILL IT FIT? You sound quite sure of yourself and sure a few others will post too.

Thank you so much!

-Paranoid Huffa :D

yeha sorry lol .. BUY IT ! lol .. if it dont fit .. sell it to me lol ...
But really .. i am thinkin it will fit lol ...
Umm i wouldnt pay thr 90 for that head though .. seems abit pricey ... i sold like 2 complete heads with cams for like 9.99 :S :S :S .. if only i knew ,,,

83185s
02-27-2005, 10:56 PM
185s-200x and all in between will fit..xl-185 will fit and dont quote me on this..I DONT THINK the xr-200 will because its got 6 mounting bolt holes..not 4 like the others take..im positive on the xl-185 head fitting..its the EXACT same as the regular 185s model..the difference is the bottom end not top..the xl is set up like the 200x bottom end..kickstart manual clutch...

Huffa
02-27-2005, 11:09 PM
yeha sorry lol .. BUY IT ! lol .. if it dont fit .. sell it to me lol ...
But really .. i am thinkin it will fit lol ...
Umm i wouldnt pay thr 90 for that head though .. seems abit pricey ... i sold like 2 complete heads with cams for like 9.99 :S :S :S .. if only i knew ,,,

:wondering Is that a miss print? :confused: How much did you sell them for?

83185s
02-27-2005, 11:09 PM
ok im wrong on the xr 200 head..it WILL work..i didnt see the ebay links..well i did but i didnt click them and go to it..both those heads will work..and the trx head with the xr 200 camshaft would be the best..manual decomp, and a high performance cam..cant beat it unless u got something bigger..lol

Huffa
02-27-2005, 11:11 PM
185s-200x and all in between will fit..xl-185 will fit and dont quote me on this..I DONT THINK the xr-200 will because its got 6 mounting bolt holes..not 4 like the others take..im positive on the xl-185 head fitting..its the EXACT same as the regular 185s model..the difference is the bottom end not top..the xl is set up like the 200x bottom end..kickstart manual clutch...

Will this TRX jobber fit then too? (same link as above on 1st post)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4531125156&category=43977&sspagename=WDVW

83185s
02-27-2005, 11:14 PM
yes it will..id buy both and use the trx head with the xr 200 cam..that would be bad ass ..lol

Huffa
02-27-2005, 11:14 PM
ok im wrong on the xr 200 head..it WILL work..i didnt see the ebay links..well i did but i didnt click them and go to it..both those heads will work..and the trx head with the xr 200 camshaft would be the best..manual decomp, and a high performance cam..cant beat it unless u got something bigger..lol

We posted at the same time. The TRX one looks like a good (clean) deal to me.

Thanks buddy!

Huffa
02-27-2005, 11:16 PM
yes it will..id buy both and use the trx head with the xr 200 cam..that would be bad ass ..lol

Buy both?? I can hardly scrape up the $$ for one, let alone 2!!! :D

.......agreed though & would be a nice set up.

mx600
02-28-2005, 11:36 AM

Why would a TRX head be better than an XR head if they both fit? Is it the decomp lever in the TRX head? I haven't looked at the Ebay auctions or any pictures, but would an XR head also have a decomp hole, but just be plugged up?

Also, is it a fact that the XR cam is better than a TRX or 200s cam, or are they actually the same thing? Just wondering.

EDIT: I just looked at the XR head, and there is a decomp lever in it. I don't remember XRs having a decomp cable, so I'm guessing they were never hooked up? So, back to my original question....why is a TRX head better, and why is an XR cam better? Or are they all just the same thing?

tdup
02-28-2005, 06:21 PM
I have used the xr200head, 185s head, trx200 head and 200x heads on any given older 200 honda motors. They will all interchange. You must have the 200x cam cover for the 200x head. All others will interchange. the XR cam is a hotter cam the others. 185s and all other 200's exept the x and the xr used the same cams. With the x cam being in the middle and the XR bing the hottest of the factory cams. I just bought a new on a couple of days ago from service honda They cost $57.00. I am not counting the 86-87 200x which is completely diffent than all the others eecept the trx200x and the fatcat. I would not worry about going with the xr cam unless you get a 26mm xr carb and intake to go with it.

short4stuff
02-28-2005, 06:28 PM
tdup, are you sure about the cam cover being different? .. whats different? ..
cause the cam cover I have on my x head has a decompression lever ...
unless I dont even have a X head...

Huffa
02-28-2005, 06:40 PM
Seems to me that the XR cam would tailor more to top end and maybe add another 500 RPM's or so on top.
Personally, I'd rather have dick-around low end grunt which would be the stock cam. Quite possibly the stock cam might have a wider powerband too.

Huffa
02-28-2005, 06:45 PM
Why would a TRX head be better than an XR head if they both fit? Is it the decomp lever in the TRX head? I haven't looked at the Ebay auctions or any pictures, but would an XR head also have a decomp hole, but just be plugged up?

Also, is it a fact that the XR cam is better than a TRX or 200s cam, or are they actually the same thing? Just wondering.

EDIT: I just looked at the XR head, and there is a decomp lever in it. I don't remember XRs having a decomp cable, so I'm guessing they were never hooked up? So, back to my original question....why is a TRX head better, and why is an XR cam better? Or are they all just the same thing?

Good question....... Why would a TRX head be better than an XR head if they both fit? Is it the decomp lever in the TRX head?

Just thought of this........ The decompression lever from the TRX should fit any 200 model then, right? If so and you still want decompression for starting just buy the TRX lever instead of fixing the overly complicated recoil decompression set up.

Most said they pull easy with out it. Honestly, I didn't find that so. If it was me (you listening MX600?) I'd get that TRX head and if not get the TRX lever to put on any other 200 head .

600, should I bid on it? Got 3 days to decide.

mx600
02-28-2005, 10:28 PM
600, should I bid on it? Got 3 days to decide.

I'll take care of it...you've put enough money into project. Any word from Ray about his 200s parts trike? Maybe his frame is better than mine too....just positive thinking.

By the way, I think this guy :Bounce is mesmerizing :beer

83185s
03-01-2005, 12:28 AM
ok the xr cam gives more top end and the trx head just looks better..plus its from a trx which were pretty nice quads..now im not sayin that it is better..i just think it is..i dunno..id buy both..not now tho for the price..i couldnt afford it if i needed to...but an xr 26mm carb would be a killer set up with that stuff on a 185 or 200x top end..i think..i dunno its just my .02..im not tryin to start anything or say anybody is wrong cause your not..they will interchange so its up to u..i dont really care

tdup
03-01-2005, 12:54 AM
The 200x heads do not a decompression lever at all. Because of this they used a different cam cover on the 200x heads. The cam cover does not have the extra width at the area were the decompression lever is on the other heads and has a diffent sealing surface profile.

I have a 10.25 to 1 piston in my bike. This helps me make up for the slight loss in low end using the xr cam and carb. I also believe that is why the stock xr compression was raised 10 to 1 from the 8 to 1 in regular 200's and 9.6 ro 1 in the 200x.

I have installed an xr 200 6 speed transmisson in my cases. That coupled with an 11 tooth front sprocket using a 185 sprocked retainer. By using the 6 speed t and the gearing I have I have a much lower 1st with just a small loss in 6th compared to 5th gear on a stock 200x.

I do most of my riding on tight hilly terrain. I only use 1st to take off and in very tight and steep terrain. The added top end power sure is nice with the bigger cams. By the seat of the pants method I believe the power bands are actually wider quite a bit wider in the x and xr cams than the stock 200 cams. If you are still using the stock 8 to 1 compression you may notice a loss in bottom end but I am not sure. To me neither the x or xr cam are peaky at all. I dont care a lot about pure top end speed so the minor loss with the 11 tooth sprocked was no problem. I have no idea what my bike will do but it doesnt take long to get up to top speed. I have dragged a couple of stock 200x's and beat them with no problem. But I still can really billy goat with my set up to. I can climb some pretty nasty stuff in 2nd.

short4stuff
03-01-2005, 07:15 AM
sorry to steal your thread Huffa...

But tdup I have a question or a couple... the 6 speed trans .. "bolt" right it? .. i mean does it just go right in without any mods?
also the cam, if you had to do it again would you just stay with a xr cam or get an aftermarket?

tdup
03-01-2005, 09:02 PM
As long as you have a complete xr transmission with forks, shifting barrel and shifter shaft yes. All you do is split the cases remove the 200x 5 speed and install the xr transmission. You will need to put the primary kickstart gear off of the xr kick start shaft on you shorter 200x kickstarter shaft. Then use your x side cover which will reverse your kicker to a forward kick. It is pretty straight forward once you dive in.

I have never run and after market cam to be able to compare to the xr cam.