PDA

View Full Version : still no Z spark! HELP!

Trikeaholic
02-27-2005, 04:20 PM
Its peeing me off bad! With a test lite, I can confirm power from the stator,to the CDI box,then to the stop run switch, then to the the wire that APPEARS to go to the coil. once I plug in the coil to the harness,...NOTHING. I changed plugs, I stuck my tester lite into the plug wire, nothing still.

I got 2, both of wich dont seem to work! There is power all the way up to the coil, so Im guessing both of the ones I have are no good? One looks really bad, the other has the plug wire sooooo stiff, when you move it, you can hear something cracking..

I have never had a coil stop working, is it common? Im pretty sure everything is hooked up correctly.This is holding up the rest of the project, until I see a FAT blue spark on the plug, I dont want to get ahead of myself here. any suggestions? anyone have a good coil to spare??

faf_racing
02-27-2005, 06:18 PM
ya know i have a very similar problem with a 200s i have. i cant figure it out either..someone help PLEASE???

MTS
02-27-2005, 06:23 PM
coil and plug wires are common, do you have an ohms meater? with a ohm meater you can tell if the coil is getting juice from the lead wire (orange wire i think on Zs the one on the coil) to the plug wire...if there is nothing showin up in ohms,....its toast....the ohms meter that beeps when there is a connection works best :D, you can also take the plug wire out and check from end to end on the coil...to see if it is any good

Trikeaholic
02-27-2005, 08:15 PM
i dont have an ohms "meater" LOL, Im clueless on electrical chit. I have this wierd greenlee tester thing I got it somehow, but I dont even know what it is or how it works.

Lots_Of_Nothing
02-27-2005, 08:29 PM
Im guessing both of the ones I have are no good? One looks really bad, the other has the plug wire sooooo stiff, when you move it, you can hear something cracking..

First of all, from the way you describe them, they probably are junk. Replace the wire on that one that is all stiff. Only a few cents or a buck at the auto store. And another thing, throw out that test light, get a multimeter.. Something with accurate readings so that you know what is really going on. You can get decent digital ones for $10-$20.

Billy Golightly
02-27-2005, 09:46 PM
Is the coil grounded good to the frame?

Trikeaholic
02-27-2005, 10:42 PM
isnt that wire molded into the coil itself? I believe it is grounded well. I got tired of dinking around with it. Electrical is not my forte', thats for sure.

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-28-2005, 12:35 AM
orange wire is the primary, two mount holes are ground

ange
02-28-2005, 02:33 AM
dont be such a cheap ass. a new coil (part #38796-001) is ~$50.
Buy a Multimeter. I could swear I have one around there somewhere, up where my VW stuff was. Your manual will list all the readings in Ohm's that the coil should be puting out.

You'll take the red "probe" of the multimeter and stick in into the plug wire, then take the back wire and ground it to the frame. Kick it over an get a reading.

Billy Golightly
02-28-2005, 11:22 AM
orange wire is the primary, two mount holes are ground

Right, this means remove all the paint on the frame around where the coil goes on and try again. ;)

Trikeaholic
02-28-2005, 02:14 PM
Right, this means remove all the paint on the frame around where the coil goes on and try again. ;)

did it. Now, there is an orange wire coming out of the harness near the coil, but it did not seem to be "hot" the wire coming off the coil is black, and I connected it to another black wire with the correct female connector on it. I played around with all different combos of wires to the coil, and still nothing, I guess the coil must be shot. I dunno. Its too bad, the Z is starting to look like something already. Its really pretty, just wont run!