PDA

View Full Version : Brake shoe/pad/drum question

Oldshell4481
02-26-2005, 08:59 PM
ive been having problems with my rear end freezing when its below 32 degrees, so i unthawed it at the brake drum and when i took it off a bunch of water fell out so i think thats been the freezing problem. so i got new brake shoes for the rear end, seeing as how mine were wore out/gone. well i got everything together and when i went to put the drum back on it would'nt go far enough to bolt it, i think the pads on the shoes are too big. if i were to gring the pad a little would it harm it any, i dont want to pound on the drum to get it too fit. also if i were to go about doing this do u think a hand file would work, the thought of taking it to the grindstone is unnapealing.

Mobular
02-26-2005, 09:12 PM
Is the brake cam adjuster turned all the way out? Is there any crap stuck to the drum? Does it need a turning? With the shoes installed, but without the cable attached, does it fit?? If the new shoes are made for your application, they should fit just fine. If they will not fit after checking all other possibilities, you can grind down the flat end of the shoes to reduce the overall diameter. NOT the rounded end that sits against the pin. Only the end that sits against the cam which twists and expands the shoes, but this is to be done only as an extreme last resort!

As for the brake freezing, unbolt the drain plug and leave it out. This is located an the bottom of the drum cover. Any water that will come in will drain straight out.

Oldshell4481
02-26-2005, 09:16 PM
adjuster is completely out, nothin stuck to drum, the shoes fit on the cam and pin its just when i go to put the drum on it goes on a little then just stops, ill try grinding the flat part(cam side), and i dont know what you mean by turning,(turning the drum does nothing), and i dont know what you mean by the cable. the cable is hooked onto the brake cam adjuster.

Mobular
02-26-2005, 09:50 PM
Turning (resurfacing)the drum will true it and make sure that it is round and smooth. Removing the cable will ensure that the activating cam is at rest.

Maine_Triker
02-26-2005, 10:13 PM
I had the same exact problem and had to grind down the shoes in the end. Fortunitly I have a motorized grinder :p .

Oldshell4481
02-26-2005, 11:29 PM
thanks for the help ill let you know how it goes tomorrow.

TimSr
02-27-2005, 12:32 AM
Make sure you take a dremel or grinder and grind that 1/8" rust lip that forms a ring around the outer edge of the drum.

Oldshell4481
02-27-2005, 11:15 AM
surprisingly there isnt much rust at all, i could still see bare metal with occasional rust coating