PDA

View Full Version : Leave as is or paint?

Huffa
02-26-2005, 12:33 AM
The pull starter cover that is.

If I do leave as is the round front part I might put black 3mm vinyl contact paper with "Honda" in red. This is for a 200S.

Other picture (of course) is how it used to look.

BTW........That decal is like a heavy duty piece of tin (ain't no vinyl for sure!) and behind that it is (or was) painted grey, just so ya all know.

I think against the rest of the motor with it unpainted it should look nice. "Works" like sort of :D

chris200x
02-26-2005, 12:00 PM
If you can remove all the rust and polish it up nice like the finish on that cdi cover and keep the honda in black, That would look pretty sweet. I don't know how well it will clean up though there looks to be some nice scrapes in it. Just my .02 cents. I really don't know how well the engine paint holds up and it may end up chipping off like what happened when I painted my stator cover.

OK then I did not see that one picture of it finished until after i posted. Looks pretty good the way it is. WOW

Huffa
02-26-2005, 12:23 PM
Thanks. Here it is with it on. I'll make up the graphics later.

BTW........that recoil was a breeze to fix.......piece of cake!

Note just behind the handle is a rubber plug to cap off where the compression release cable went. Took it off my wifes jeep rear brake cover. A perfect fit!

twgranger
02-26-2005, 12:28 PM
I think it looks great the way it is.

edog
02-26-2005, 01:29 PM
I love your attention to detail. :Bounce

Huffa
02-26-2005, 01:58 PM
Thanks you guys! Always nice to here compliments after a job well done. If you don't like it thats cool too. I can't help it if you have poor taste! :D

More I look at it the more it says back to me "No Paint"

It is not mine and just wanted a few opinions. Now I know if the guy wants it painted I'll say "No can do" .......3WW members voted against it. :D

Hard to believe how nice this thing is cleaning up. Look close and you can see just how crappy it is in sections yet. Once the motor is pulled, :D then I can really go to town.

edog
02-26-2005, 02:06 PM
All aluminum looks the best.

chris200x
02-26-2005, 02:15 PM
You should be doing that to the 200x you got sittin in the garage. hehe. What do you use to polish those peices like that.

Maine_Triker
02-26-2005, 02:22 PM
It looks perfect the way it is.

Huffa
02-26-2005, 03:08 PM
You should be doing that to the 200x you got sittin in the garage. hehe. What do you use to polish those peices like that.

Don't worry yours is next! Those pieces (beleive it or not) can be made to look even better to almost a mirror finish that you would actually see a refelection of the shifter on the cover. That takes a whole lot of sanding though and since it looks way acceptable already I'll leave the really fine detail up to the owner.

To answer your ? I simply use my fine 6" bench wire wheel and some fine steel wool pads & then polish with any old metal polish. Nothing fancy but does the job.

edog
02-26-2005, 04:07 PM
Truly a masterpeice.

mx600
02-26-2005, 08:33 PM
It is not mine and just wanted a few opinions. Now I know if the guy wants it painted I'll say "No can do" .......3WW members voted against it. :D

I'd like it painted please. I'm thinking a nice anodized look would be cool. Dupli-color makes transulcent paint that gives an anodized look on metal parts. You can pick the color, but I'm partial to red.

So, get to it! :D

Huffa
02-26-2005, 10:03 PM
I'd like it painted please. I'm thinking a nice anodized look would be cool. Dupli-color makes transulcent paint that gives an anodized look on metal parts. You can pick the color, but I'm partial to red.

So, get to it! :D

NO CAN DO !!! :D Your eye contact picks right up on that beautiful cover and it carries right up to the rest of the motor. In picture here the middle cases I have done now (as good as possible till motor is off) and if you don't mind me saying so it is turning out far nicer then a stock 200S.

Any color would break up the motor as a whole + some would eventually wear off then it looks like crap. The way it is now it will stay that way with very little maintinence.

Just wait till the frame & footpegs are painted! The black will make the motor look even nicer!

If it was mine, without a ? in my mind, chrome plate the front motor mount brackets. For now though if I took the paint off them I think they would turn out looking quite nice. Just blast some clear on them so they won't rust. I can just do one side for comparison sake. Stock black would look perfectly fine too. Decisions, decisions .......... :wondering :confused: :wondering

83185s
02-27-2005, 02:23 PM
yea its easy to clean up that stuff and polish it but its time consuming..ive been workin in shop class with a lathe and the hammer we are making..it went from looking like crap to a nice mirror finish with first a smooth file, then 80 grit, 120, 180, 320, and then 500...you can go more for a really really shiny crome-mirror look if you want..steel shines up nice...that thing looks sweet..id say dont paint it..what are the chances hes not gonna go tear up the trike?? that just made your hard work go down the drain