PDA

View Full Version : masking tape on the (K&N like)air filter

svo58
02-25-2005, 09:24 PM
It's a open air filter like the K&N (small cone).Their is masking tape all raped around the whole thing,the guy i bought it from must of put it their,is there a reason for this or should i take it off,thanks.....svo58

Dammit!
02-25-2005, 10:12 PM
Sounds like some redneck engineering. ;)

If the filter needs it on there for some reason, it should be replaced asap.

MTS
02-25-2005, 10:21 PM
take it off....my best guess is he figured it would act as an outware on it....lol

hrc85250r
02-26-2005, 01:44 PM
ok, whats going on here is that he is restricting airflow through the filter to create more vaccuum...there are some carbs especially on motorcycles that have a vaccuum "port" above the venturi, and even if the carb is jetted right and so on it wont run 100% without the vaccum...this happened to my suzuki katan powered mojave, and i actually made aluminum bands to wrap around the filter instead of tape, but it works and isnt really rigging it up, its more like tuning:cool:.....

and you are going to want to take it off, chances are you wont need it...

Cody
02-26-2005, 01:49 PM
Yea, id take it off to. I like my stuff how it should be, hehe.

mbubbac
03-05-2005, 12:24 PM
hey yeah i was the one who put the tape on there, lol ni99a riggins as i call it. lol juts use ducttape, cuz i couldnt tune the carb right and it would only run on choke and i emailed this guy and he said it was the pilot jet and i rebuilt the carb and it was the same cuz i was running no filter so i got one and it worked a lil better so i put some tape and it ran like a beast for like 2 months