PDA

View Full Version : Should I replace cam chain?

dooner17
02-25-2005, 05:21 PM
Ok my 200s deffinately has a chain rattle. Its not too severe I know my friends is worse. Adjusting the tensioner does nothing. At idle you can here it slapping a bit and if you give it a little gas than it gets worse. I have a new cam chain for it, and me and my friend are anxious to put one in (planning on doing it tonight) Do you think its really neccesary that I replace it or should I wait till it gets worse?

chris200x
02-25-2005, 05:28 PM
I would not wait too much longer if it breaks or jumps a tooth you can damage something in the motor. A mechanic told me that it is usually a good idea to change the tensioners too. Those long black curved things since you will already be in there. why take it apart twice right?

dooner17
02-25-2005, 05:31 PM
yeah, I dont have those right now though. If we tear it apart and they look wore than ill get some. I guess we'll tear it down tonight and see what we got.

MTS
02-25-2005, 05:34 PM
definatly change it, it sucks when your timing chain lets go out in the middle of no ware and your stranded....and it is a good idea to replace the tensinores depending on what kinda condition there in..

dooner17
02-25-2005, 05:45 PM
ok but i have no idea if they're going to be good or bad. How would I tell. I can post pics later on tonight.

MTS
02-25-2005, 05:46 PM
post pics, but its pretty easy, they will show the wear in them and in the guides

Quickonstep
02-25-2005, 05:47 PM
yea replace it.. or youll end up like i did.. stranded in the middle of the woods, on a half ass trail, because the timing chain was stretched fairly bad.. and i had just had the top end rebuilt.. so yea taking things apart twice really really sucks

Jesse

dooner17
02-25-2005, 06:35 PM
Ok I just started. Got the CD off and can see the chain on the sprocket on top end. I removed the pullcord and flywheel bolt. Just waiting for my friend to ome with the flywheel puller. Need to drain oil too. How do i get the chain lose to get it off though?

HaggLE
02-25-2005, 07:02 PM
I think that you will have to take the engine apart further to change the tensioners and it will make the job bigger. I have never heard of a tensioner breaking but it may still happen.

There was a post on here not too long ago explaining that you dont need to take the head off to change the chain. Its good reading so see if you can find it.

If you tip the trike on its opposite side you wont need to drain the oil for sure and its easier to work on.

To loosen the chain, you will see the adjuster behind the flywheel. Simply loosen the adjuster nut as you would if you were adjusting it normally and push the wheel back away from the chain with your hand and then tighten it up.

dooner17
02-26-2005, 11:00 AM
OK last night we didn't get the right puller so I think I might buy one today at canadian tire. We wanted to ride them into the hockey game so I just put i back together. It wouldn't run so i took the CDI apart and found i didnt have it on the clip. Anyways I think we'll try it again tonight.