PDA

View Full Version : got my bills pipe today

hrc85250r
02-23-2005, 11:28 PM
well, here it is, i havent put it on yet, i am going to glassbead it and repaint it first, and i got one of those billet flanges from esr to seal it up... :D

it doesnt say bills on it which is wierd...but the guy from california that i got it from said it was but its cool either way and its got a long and skinny expansion chamber so its top end!!!

Lasvegasrider
02-23-2005, 11:33 PM
my esr is like that its fat in the middle then has a long skinny tailend

hrc85250r
02-23-2005, 11:37 PM
it looks fat, but in person it isnt very fat....my cone pipe is like the size of this one around plus another half...

oh yeah, and what kind of paint should i use? i want it to look good last a qhile and not cost too much, and i dont want to use (rattlecan)header paint if possible.... i was thinking about powder coat, but ive heard different things about chipping and whatnot....

Lasvegasrider
02-23-2005, 11:39 PM
Mine gets real big right off the head then by the tank it it thins out to like an inch

Lots_Of_Nothing
02-23-2005, 11:53 PM
Bills pipes are never labeled (none that ive seen). Looks good. Alot better then the pipes available today (FMF and DG). Oh yeah, I would have a doctor check out your big toe, looks deformed. ;)

hrc85250r
02-23-2005, 11:58 PM
haha i broke my toe, actually both of my big toes..i got ran over by a minivan on my mtn bike about 5 yrs ago lmfao....anyways, this pipe is supposedly a real good pipe, and dg sucks(basically a stock replacement) and fmf is low/mid, plus i got this one for like 30$, i have a dg and a handmade cone pipe(mid), so all i need is this to complete my collection! i would get an esr, but im a college kid with like no money whatsoever.

Lasvegasrider
02-24-2005, 12:03 AM
I had the fmf fatty and the pipe always cracked by the top mount on the pipe , fmf sent me 3 different pipes and they all cracked i love the esr pipe and the paul turner is a great pipe too

MTS
02-24-2005, 12:09 AM
has anyone ever tried nickel plating there pipes? done it with headers on a 350 chevy..so i would imagin it would work on the bike just needs to be polished every now and then...just a suggestion :)

Jeb
02-24-2005, 03:21 PM
Bills pipes are never labeled (none that ive seen). Looks good. Alot better then the pipes available today (FMF and DG). Oh yeah, I would have a doctor check out your big toe, looks deformed. ;)

My Bill's on my Z has a label brazed on it. That's the only reason I knew it was Bill's. Maybe you can see it in this picture.

Mine's bare metal, which is high maintanence. If you go that route, keep allot of scotchbrite and wd40 in stock.

Mike Fort Laud
02-24-2005, 11:55 PM
I'm sorry to say but I do not think that is a Bill's Pipe. I have a chrome Bills on my '85 250R and it is not a section built pipe. It is a stamped and welded pipe. It is totally smooth except for the welds that gothe lenght of the pipe. It does not have all of the little pieces welded together like yours does. Mine also has the same Bill's tag welded onto it. I have a Coffman's pipe that is built like yours. I will take a picture of mine tomorrow and post it. It may be made by Bill's but it does not look like any I have seen. Every 250R pipe I have is labled. I have a Paul Turner Hi-Rev, DG, Bills and coffman's and they all have the name tag welded to them.

MassTrike
02-25-2005, 12:16 AM
Sorry to get off suject but Jeb, I gotta say i love your Z theres somthing about it! I think its the old racer look to it.

Jeb
02-25-2005, 10:12 AM
Thanks! There's not many like it. :beer

86waterpumper
02-25-2005, 10:22 AM
It might or not be a Bill's pipe, some (earlier) bill's pipes were hand formed while others were stamped out. As some companies got larger, or sold alot of one particular product, they would start stamping them, while others have always made handformed only like CT. I'm sure a company would have to be moving a huge volume to pay for the tooling costs to stamp a pipe etc. LRD is a good example I've seen plenty of LRD 250r hand formed pipes, yet I have a stamped one. Very few companies stamped a tag or anything on their hand formed pipes, so it's very hard to determine exactly who made it unless you have a pipe to compare it with, or know exactly where they placed their bends. I like the handformed pipes for the simple fact they look more old school. I think in alot of cases they perform better as well.

hrc85250r
02-25-2005, 03:27 PM
well, i called bills and talked to bill to figure out if it is a bills(just for fun), and he said that as far as he can remember all of his pipes were always labeled...he also said that the labels were just brazed on and sometimes came off....i described it and he said it could definatley be a bills, but he doesnt know for sure....

Curtis-Tecate3
02-27-2005, 11:56 PM
HRC, I am with Mike on this one. The Bills pipe that I saw (And it may very well be the exact same pipe that Mike has now!) it was a stamped pipe with the Bills logo brazed on kind of like a nameplate. The pipe I am referring to was bought in 1988. Either way I say run it and see what you got. Hell, it may be better than what you expected..!

Curtis.

hrc85250r
02-28-2005, 10:53 AM
i took her for a ride earlier with the pipe....big difference, wow.....that pipe hits super hard! i didnt expect the power to hit so high up....really beats the crap out of my cone pipe....i really like the high rev hp pipes and i finally got one....here is a pic of in on my bike, and yes i am blasting it and painting it shortly!

hrc85250r
02-28-2005, 11:03 AM
I'm sorry to say but I do not think that is a Bill's Pipe. I have a chrome Bills on my '85 250R and it is not a section built pipe. It is a stamped and welded pipe. It is totally smooth except for the welds that gothe lenght of the pipe. It does not have all of the little pieces welded together like yours does. Mine also has the same Bill's tag welded onto it. I have a Coffman's pipe that is built like yours. I will take a picture of mine tomorrow and post it. It may be made by Bill's but it does not look like any I have seen. Every 250R pipe I have is labled. I have a Paul Turner Hi-Rev, DG, Bills and coffman's and they all have the name tag welded to them.

mike, i would really like to see the pic of the coffmans if thats possible....they made killer pipes back in the day.....super rare too...

hrc85250r
02-28-2005, 11:36 PM
well, even though it has no brand name, its still cool!