PDA

View Full Version : CDI Noise? Rattle? '84 200X help!

JBrobeck
02-22-2005, 07:37 PM
I just rebuilt the engine on my 84 200X and its running awsome, but I am getting some sort of noise from Behind the CDI cover, kind of a vibrating loose sound. I took the silver cover off, and sprayed some lube in there while it was idling and it quieted right down, but only till the lube leaked away. I started taking it apart and there is no evidence of anything rubbing or vibrating so I am at a loss...... the cam runs true when I watch it spin and the airgap was properly set at .014.

Is this sound common? I haven't had it running in over 3 yrs so I really don't know what is right and wrong, but it sure doesn't sound the best!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

(BTW its not the cam chain, that was my first thought until I sprayed the lube into the cdi and made the sound go away)

Thanks

Josh

MTS
02-22-2005, 08:09 PM
did you check the spark advancer unit behind the pickup(what ever you call it where you set the gap) the spark advancer could be worn and make noise...

JBrobeck
02-22-2005, 08:12 PM
yeah thats what is making the noise, when I spray the lube into the cover, that is what is quieting down, now why in the world does it make noise? the parts must move freely for the advance, and nothing seems unordinarily loose?

MTS
02-22-2005, 08:14 PM
the spark advance is spring loaded, the springs weakin over time causing it to snap back and forth quicker, gatherd with the wear over time in the slideing joints on it they clack from side to side....take it off and inspect it, should be nice and tight, if its not replace it